Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): THIS IS BRAZIL (Start Of 2024 Regular Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I feel like I'm missing something. These guys have 2 excellent receivers and a good 3rd receiver. Saquon, Goedert, a good o-line yet nobody ever seems open? I would expect a mismatch somewhere. What am i missing?
From the broadcast angle it’s nearly impossible to tell but I’d wager to guess, we saw a lot of Hurts scrambling too early and missing open players because of it.

Reactions: Van Buren Boy

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Squeaked it out. That last 8 min drive was very 2022. I liked that. Unfortunately was sloppy at the goal line but that is definitely promising

Hurts just needs to be smarter in there on some of these throws.

Defense was definitely stifling at times.

It checks a lot of boxes on the cautiously optimistic side of things. Let's see how these guys settle in with the new schemes. Barkley was awesome and so was AJ. Smitty is nasty, get him the ball and watch him run

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Have to give him his props when he deserves it.... Jalen was great that last drive.....btw what a game by Baun..... Eagles fans are going to go ga ga for him if this keeps up

Sucks that he had to be great in that last drive because he was such a bonehead the previous 2 or 3

But he did pull it out though, so there's something.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Hope I’m wrong but Hurts feels a lot like Wentz a la the turnovers. Difference is Hurts has more weapons to mask it

Baun had a great game. 15 total tackles and 2 sacks is a very anti-Eagles linebacker stat line. Hope he keeps it up but I’m not counting on it

Barkley had a great game. He just has to stay healthy. He’s a versatile weapon

A win is a win and the beginning of the season is always weird but this felt like a game they should have lost. I suppose good teams find a way to win though. It was ugly but if this was a loss I’d hate to see the reactions especially after the ending to last season. Still, I’d take 1-0 every time no matter how ugly it is

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Hope I’m wrong but Hurts feels a lot like Wentz a la the turnovers. Difference is Hurts has more weapons to mask it

Baun had a great game. 15 total tackles and 2 sacks is a very anti-Eagles linebacker stat line. Hope he keeps it up but I’m not counting on it

Barkley had a great game. He just has to stay healthy. He’s a versatile weapon

A win is a win and the beginning of the season is always weird but this felt like a game they should have lost. I suppose good teams find a way to win though. It was ugly but if this was a loss I’d hate to see the reactions especially after the ending to last season. Still, I’d take 1-0 every time no matter how ugly it is
that's huge...i think his addition is one of their bigger ones over the past few years

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
34 points, 406 yards. On a bad field, new players, new scheme.
It was a very sloppy game, Hurts made two really bad decisions.

But first 4 games are always a shakeout cruise, this year more so with two new coordinators and a revamped back 7. This year, bye week and Brown and DeJean return.

Barkley is a stud, he's probably grinning ear to ear on the flight back, looking forward to 3 years behind this OL after the Giants.

Burks was all over the place, made plays but missed tackles. His worst play was on a screen, when he ducked and turned sideways into a block and was washed out.

Maddox looked like he forgot how to play nickel.

Mitchell is going to be really good, Blankenship already is.

Becton is a big boi and plays like one, may be better suited to OG if he lacks lateral agility against pass rushers.

Jurgens had growing pains.

I'm gonna call DeVonta "Gumby," it's like tacklers can pummel and twist him and he just bounces back into shape for the nex play.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sucks that he had to be great in that last drive because he was such a bonehead the previous 2 or 3

But he did pull it out though, so there's something.
He should’ve had an interception on the last drive too and Jaire dropped it. That would have assuredly put the Packers in front.

The NFL is a very fine line. One play and all the talk would be Jalen having 3 interceptions, all of which at the worst possible times. The loss would’ve been squarely on him because all of the other skill guys balled out.

The plus is that the offenses by and large was moving on schedule, Hurts was better the quicker he reacted. The read-option wasn’t good, and that one throw also was quick, but he was beating blitzes. When he had to start moving and run through progressions is when he faltered. 2 picks, a couple of not good sacks. Things you can work on, but this was sloppy play, and it was by both QB’s.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
He should’ve had an interception on the last drive too and Jaire dropped it. That would have assuredly put the Packers in front.

The NFL is a very fine line. One play and all the talk would be Jalen having 3 interceptions, all of which at the worst possible times. The loss would’ve been squarely on him because all of the other skill guys balled out.

The plus is that the offenses by and large was moving on schedule, Hurts was better the quicker he reacted. The read-option wasn’t good, and that one throw also was quick, but he was beating blitzes. When he had to start moving and run through progressions is when he faltered. 2 picks, a couple of not good sacks. Things you can work on, but this was sloppy play, and it was by both QB’s.
I feel a heck of a lot better after this game 1 vs last years game 1 on both sides of the ball. Except for the pass rush...

Were there mistakes, of course. This "home" game being in Brazil on a crap field wasn't ideal, glad to be done with it and come out with a win.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Hurts made a couple really nice throws but he was carried by his weapons. Terrible decisions, really bad awareness. He waits until the last millisecond to throw it away and isn't decisive in his decisions. He's going to hold back this team this season

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

And if Dean makes that pick 6, it's a 14 point turnaround and the Eagles probably cruise.

Reactions: orangey

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hurts has a lot to digest, new scheme using a lot of motion, he's calling the protections, the new routes aren't second nature yet (i.e., the mental map that tells you where the WRs will be in 3 seconds). You can practice until the cows come home, but you need game reps before this becomes second nature.

So I'd expect him to struggle out of the gate.
Now if he's not humming on all cylinders after the bye week, then I'll start worrying.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
What was extremely encouraging about this game is that the defense, as flawed as it was during the game, absolutely clamped down on the short field. That game could have easily been 14-0 before we even really got going, and instead, kept us in the game long enough for the offense to get rolling.

9 points allowed on 3 turnovers, you really can't ask for much more than that. GB is a good team, afterall, they legitimately had SF on the ropes after beating the brakes off Dallas in the playoffs. We turned the ball over too many times, and still managed to claw back and win. And our LBs suddenly look like they could be a strength after being extremely porous against the run last year. And the early returns on Saquan are exactly what this offense has needed. A lot to love about how this game went, warts and all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad