OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Now We Wait And See What The Future Brings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Because he knows that eventually one of us would show up at his house with a crowbar and turn his kneecaps inside out.

I'm just going to explain this briefly, again. There was no reason for me to hate the Cowboys. Remember, I grew up in St. Louis with the most incompetent football team the world has ever seen, and I hated them. Unlike you guys, I didn't give one shit about my city, either, so there was no geographical loyalty.

I started following football when I was around 6, in 1974 or so. Since there was no hometown team to consider (having ruled out the Big Head), I had a choice of the prominent teams I was exposed to, which at that time would have been the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins, Vikings, Rams(-ish), plus classics like the Packers, Colts, Browns, etc. There were others around, but those were the main ones, as you could tell from looking at the helmets each of us wore in our neighborhood games.

The Raiders were the most obviously filthy and evil team around at the time, but I saw right through the Steelers from the very beginning - they were every bit as greasy and awful as the Raiders. Why would I root for an evil team? It would be like rooting for Darth Vader to f***ing behead Luke Skywalker - nonsense. Meanwhile, CBS is showing clips of Navy hero Roger Staubach with "Nobody Does It Better" playing in the background. Why wouldn't I worship that guy? He was very, very clearly the good guy in the story of the 1970s NFL (from my vantage point). There was no reason whatsoever not to love him.

I can totally understand why all of you hate the Cowboys - I am a virtuoso, a maestro of hate, as you all know. It's perfectly reasonable. What isn't reasonable at all is the national hate the team got from the 70s until 1989. If all of this national disdain bubbled up from the Jerry Jones acquisition onward, I would understand, but it didn't - it was always there and it never made any sense. Why the f*** people get so unnerved that they happened to call their team video from 1979 (or 78) "America's Team" I will never know. So the media picked up on the term - who gives a shit?

Meanwhile, the entire f***ing world looks at the Steelers and that whole repository of nasty bodily fluids as "working-class heroes." It's mind-boggling. So even if it weren't for Roger Staubach, I still would have been a fan of theirs, because they represented the biggest threat to the f***ing Steelers that wasn't also a greasy, filthy, awful gang of motorcycle creeps (i.e. the Raiders) in the 1970s, which was inarguably the pinnacle of that sport.

So it's a loyalty comprised evenly of love for Roger Staubach and seething, f***ing white-hot loathing of the f***ing Steelers. It's no more complicated than that, and I wouldn't expect you guys to agree with me at all - it would be super weird if you did. I don't talk about it because I don't want to bother or irritate you with it. Because I'm not a troll.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm just going to explain this briefly, again. There was no reason for me to hate the Cowboys. Remember, I grew up in St. Louis with the most incompetent football team the world has ever seen, and I hated them. Unlike you guys, I didn't give one shit about my city, either, so there was no geographical loyalty.

I started following football when I was around 6, in 1974 or so. Since there was no hometown team to consider (having ruled out the Big Head), I had a choice of the prominent teams I was exposed to, which at that time would have been the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins, Vikings, Rams(-ish), plus classics like the Packers, Colts, Browns, etc. There were others around, but those were the main ones, as you could tell from looking at the helmets each of us wore in our neighborhood games.

The Raiders were the most obviously filthy and evil team around at the time, but I saw right through the Steelers from the very beginning - they were every bit as greasy and awful as the Raiders. Why would I root for an evil team? It would be like rooting for Darth Vader to f***ing behead Luke Skywalker - nonsense. Meanwhile, CBS is showing clips of Navy hero Roger Staubach with "Nobody Does It Better" playing in the background. Why wouldn't I worship that guy? He was very, very clearly the good guy in the story of the 1970s NFL (from my vantage point). There was no reason whatsoever not to love him.

I can totally understand why all of you hate the Cowboys - I am a virtuoso, a maestro of hate, as you all know. It's perfectly reasonable. What isn't reasonable at all is the national hate the team got from the 70s until 1989. If all of this national disdain bubbled up from the Jerry Jones acquisition onward, I would understand, but it didn't - it was always there and it never made any sense. Why the f*** people get so unnerved that they happened to call their team video from 1979 (or 78) "America's Team" I will never know. So the media picked up on the term - who gives a shit?

Meanwhile, the entire f***ing world looks at the Steelers and that whole repository of nasty bodily fluids as "working-class heroes." It's mind-boggling. So even if it weren't for Roger Staubach, I still would have been a fan of theirs, because they represented the biggest threat to the f***ing Steelers that wasn't also a greasy, filthy, awful gang of motorcycle creeps (i.e. the Raiders) in the 1970s, which was inarguably the pinnacle of that sport.

So it's a loyalty comprised evenly of love for Roger Staubach and seething, f***ing white-hot loathing of the f***ing Steelers. It's no more complicated than that, and I wouldn't expect you guys to agree with me at all - it would be super weird if you did. I don't talk about it because I don't want to bother or irritate you with it. Because I'm not a troll.

Great post

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly

This is like a TED talk

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Before the prequels where they made him into a whiny bitch, you're damn right I was rooting for Vader to behead his whiny bitch son.

*I didn't read the rest of the post.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

giphy.gif

Sorry, Cap.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

None of this matters. The Cowboys are the Cowboys. Only the Giants (in the NFL) are in the same category of hatred. I don't now who/what the "Big Head" is/was but you could have rooted for the Chiefs. When the Eagles sucked back then I rooted for the Chiefs. Len Dawson, Mike Garrett, Hank "matriculate down the field" Stram... great team.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
None of this matters. The Cowboys are the Cowboys. Only the Giants (in the NFL) are in the same category of hatred. I don't now who/what the "Big Head" is/was but you could have rooted for the Chiefs. When the Eagles sucked back then I rooted for the Chiefs. Len Dawson, Mike Garrett, Hank "matriculate down the field" Stram... great team.

Lions, Browns, Chargers, Chiefs round out my top five.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Chinatown88

348 days and counting
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

03-funny-animal-gifs-116-bunny-falling-asleep.gif

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

I still want to know what happened with that Combine interview.

Seems like a good, well rounded individual...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/10/derrius-guice-allegations-girlfriend/

Derrius Guice strangled his girlfriend until she was unconscious in his Ashburn home in March, according to charging documents. When she awoke, the Washington NFL player was crying and tapping her.

The woman, who was only described in court documents using initials, told authorities Guice also pushed her and pulled her hair during the encounter, according to the charging documents filed in Loudoun County General District Court Monday.

The incident is at the heart of the criminal case against Guice, 23, who was released by the Washington Football Team last week after a handful of criminal charges became public, including the counts of strangulation and assault and battery that date from March 13.
The charging documents provide the first in-depth look at the allegations against Guice.

After the March incident, the woman had to leave to catch a flight at BWI, according to the charging documents. She told investigators she was in a hurry and did not look in the mirror until she arrived for a layover in Chicago. The woman took a photo of her injuries in a restroom, according to the charging documents.

She suffered bruising to her neck, which also had colored spots on it, according to the charging documents.
Guice’s attorney, Peter D. Greenspun, issued a statement following Guice’s arrest on Friday saying that investigators failed to fully examine the allegations that took place months ago, and denounced the team for releasing Guice “without a single question as to what occurred.”

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I told everyone a few times, Fart - it is an open secret, and it's not important. What's important is that the Steelers are the real evil.

It's pretty important. This is like finding out your neighbor had redirected his sewage line into your pantry.

When he tells you it's not important it isn't convincing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad