Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] F Travis Konecny signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $8.75M AAV)

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Much more reasonable. Anything under $9 was gonna be reasonable. He’s the type of player you may over term somewhat because of the pace he provides, etc… like a Dylan Larkin.

Still though, Travis is gonna have to start being consistently around a PPG or the fans will eventually turn on him.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
In a vacuum, the contract isn't a bad one for a guy in his prime with a few good years under his belt.

The issue here, as always, is it makes no goddamn sense with the composition of the rest of the roster.
Farabee - Couturier - Konecny
Laughton - Frost - Michkov
Hathaway - Poehling - Tippett
Deslauriers - Cates - Foerster
??? - ??? - Brink

Foerster and Michkov are on ELCs, Brink is on a bridge deal, Konecny and Tippett are locked up until doomsday, and none of them are better on the left. Laughton and Hathaway aren't natural LW, either, Laughton's a center and Hathaway's a RW being pressed into service on the left. What the hell kind of structure are they going for?
Konecny could lead a 3rd line when Michkov is ready to step up if he's a better fit at rw in the nhl.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
I don't love it. Have felt TK is overvalued because he plays with an "edge". IMO, if you're a forward making this salary, you should be a consistent 80 point player and he is not. And I know he hasn't played a lot of playoff hockey, but in 22 playoff games, he has 1g and 7a. Abysmal when all things considered.

For the fanboys who consider TK a potential heir to Marchand's legacy or say they have a similar career arc, Marchand had 11g and 8a in his first 25 playoff games, won a Cup, roughly a point per game player and carries a cap hit of 6.125 mil.

Flyers gonna Flyer.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Seems like market value. The latter years of that deal may not be ideal - high motor/compete guys don’t always age gracefully - but Philly probably didn’t have a choice other than to go the full 8. I feel like if Michkov wasn’t coming over this soon, maybe they would have preferred to trade rather than extend. Who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad