Confirmed with Link: [PHI/TBL] Radko Gudas, 1st, 3rd rounder for Braydon Coburn

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Don't think we'll ever see the super stud 1/2 pairing we've all been hoping for. Happy to hear a Philly fans perspective on Coburn.

Compared to having Kostka, Barbario, and Sustr playing important playoff minutes last year, we'll have Garrison, Stralman, and Coburn.

I don't know about anybody else, but that one sentence just made my whole day better. Add in an actual starting goalie...I don't know how far they can go, but it's not a first round sweep.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Don't think we'll ever see the super stud 1/2 pairing we've all been hoping for. Happy to hear a Philly fans perspective on Coburn.

Compared to having Kostka, Barbario, and Sustr playing important playoff minutes last year, we'll have Garrison, Stralman, and Coburn.

Cooper doesn't give guys 25+ minutes, so we're probably better off deep than top-heavy.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
do you guys think yzerman extends coburns deal after next season ?

He could extend it this offseason.

IDK, probably will have a lot to do with performance in the playoffs. At 4.5 million I'd be ok with bringing him back. Have a ton of money wrapped up in defense now though.

Carle @ 5.5
Garrison @ 4.6
Stralman @ 4.5
Hedman @ 4
Coburn @ 4.5

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

IDK, probably will have a lot to do with performance in the playoffs. At 4.5 million I'd be ok with bringing him back. Have a ton of money wrapped up in defense now though.

Carle @ 5.5
Garrison @ 4.6
Stralman @ 4.5
Hedman @ 4
Coburn @ 4.5

...Carle's going to give us some great depth going into the playoffs... but man... we can't pay him that moving forward.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Carle @ 5.5
Garrison @ 4.6
Stralman @ 4.5
Hedman @ 4
Coburn @ 4.5

ya we only have 3 free agents i think

RFA- barberio
rfa- sustr
UFA- morrow

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
...Carle's going to give us some great depth going into the playoffs... but man... we can't pay him that moving forward.

Especially as a bottom pairing defenseman. That's a problem for the offseason though, if Yzerman can get any value for him I'd be happy.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If anybody told me a year ago that our D is going to be Hedman, Stralman, Coburn, Garrison, Carle and one of Sustr, Barbs or Nesterov I would have called him crazy. That's suddenly a pretty solid D corps.

Just need Carle to actually play again.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Coburn is actually a really good Dman, and I'm guessing there was a feeling that Gudas got passed on the depth chart.

It's a big price, but I don't think we got ripped off.

Agreed. Gudas really isn't that great defensively which is surprising given his style of play. I think Sustr is garbage, but I think I'd prefer him over Gudas. Would still like to see one more trade to upgrade that 3rd RD spot (Petry?)

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Cooper doesn't give guys 25+ minutes, so we're probably better off deep than top-heavy.

I'd still like to see what Hedman could do with that elite partner though. For instance, could you imagine the kind of domination a Hedman-Seabrook pairing could unleash. My God. Could overwhelm the opposing team, very doubtful it happens within the next two years now though. I guess the plan is to be content giving Hedman a steady shutdown partner so he can run the offense.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed. Gudas really isn't that great defensively which is surprising given his style of play. I think Sustr is garbage, but I think I'd prefer him over Gudas. Would still like to see one more trade to upgrade that 3rd RD spot (Petry?)

At this point I'd rather have Zidlicky than Petry. We can suddenly shelter a #6, and Zidlicky brings more to the PP. And he's cheaper.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If anybody told me a year ago that our D is going to be Hedman, Stralman, Coburn, Garrison, Carle and one of Sustr, Barbs or Nesterov I would have called him crazy. That's suddenly a pretty solid D corps.

Just need Carle to actually play again.

it's a improvment from are train wreak defenseman last year in the playoffs

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
The more I have though about it the more I like it, sure it did cost but it always does if you want to improve, if Coburn pans out here this is a great trade.

First I was like "WTH!" but it's the kind of player we needed.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Basically I come down to this - it was a lot to pay, but I feel a HELL of a lot better with our D going forward now that we don't have to split up Hedman/Stralman/Garrison to babysit the rookies. We can lean on each pairing for 20-24 minutes a night and when Carle gets back, him and Sustr get ~15 a night.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Love the trade. Hurts to lose a guy like Gudas, But with Coburn playing the right side we have a legit top 4 now and can insulate Sustr on a 3rd pairing with Carle. Didn't realize Coburn played the right side.

It would have been a logjam next season if a dman wasn't moved.

Hedman-Coburn/Stralman
Garrison-Coburn/Stralman
Carle-Sustr

Gudas, Barberio, Nesterov, Witkowski

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Basically I come down to this - it was a lot to pay, but I feel a HELL of a lot better with our D going forward now that we don't have to split up Hedman/Stralman/Garrison to babysit the rookies. We can lean on each pairing for 20-24 minutes a night and when Carle gets back, him and Sustr get ~15 a night.

Carle is always going to get 20 for Cooper. He was leading our team in ES time before the injury, despite being mostly on the third pairing.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

I'd add that even though it was a lot to pay, we had it and the price didn't hurt us. Would have hurt a lot of other teams much more to give up that much, including some teams that we are directly competing with. This is where SFY's asset management and stockpiling pays off big time.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'd add that even though it was a lot to pay, we had it and the price didn't hurt us. Would have hurt a lot of other teams much more to give up that much, including some teams that we are directly competing with. This is where SFY's asset management and stockpiling pays off big time.

yes agree having extra picks makes it sweet stock pile picks paid off for yzerman

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Agree - if draft picks are basically money for trades, we have a lot of liquidity.

The only player we lost off of the roster just got demoted to the fourth line this past game. Our roster is better today than it was yesterday, and there's still possibly a move or two to be made.

And all in all, I trust the Yzerplan.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I'm quite happy looking at the top 4 on paper at least in Hedman, Strålman, Garrison and now Coburn.

I really like the recent playoff experience we now have in Strålman and Coburn (a little bit further back but still!) or forwards like Boyle and Callahan heading into the playoffs. It's gonna make a difference.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
What was our Top 4 at the end of last season?

Hedman - Salo
Carle - Gudas
Brewer - Sustr?

Versus

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Coburn
Carle - Sustr

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I'll take it.

Also, I think a possibility in this was the chance DeAngelo makes the team out of camp in a sheltered #6 capacity.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sustr was actually paired with Hedman and was the only decent pairing during the playoffs. Carle-Gudas was about as bad as it gets. Horrible.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
This makes me wonder about Gudas's knee. He can't afford to lose any speed whatsoever. Maybe management has some concerns? Otherwise it seems like a steep price was paid by a guy (Yzerman) who doesn't really believe in steep prices.

Radko is typically that kinda dman that doesn't age well. See Volchenkov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad