Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] James van Riemsdyk signs with the Flyers (5 years, $7M AAV)

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I was blindsided by this, i never considered philly as a landing spot for him but now that its happened it makes a lot of sense, JVR is a good player and he will be missed by the leafs, i think the money is a little high but not by much and the term is great. Congrats philly fans!

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
JVR scores 30+ goals every season. He is a goal scoring machine and good team mate. He would be the top scorer on many teams in the nhl.

Well actually, JVR has scored 30+ goals once in 9 seasons. He also hit 30 one other time.

I'm no JVR fan...But all he cost the Flyers is money...no prospects/draft picks or players going the other way. The term is maybe a year long and the caphit is in line with what you pay for a UFA scorer. I can live with it.

member 157595

Well actually, JVR has scored 30+ goals once in 9 seasons. He also hit 30 one other time.

I'm no JVR fan...But all he cost the Flyers is money...no prospects/draft picks or players going the other way. The term is maybe a year long and the caphit is in line with what you pay for a UFA scorer. I can live with it.

I think you guys did okay. We definitely didn't want him back at that price but I think he's a good fit in Philadelphia. With him and Simmonds (at least for the time being) the Flyers are going to be tough down low. He needs to be heavily insulated at even strength though.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Jvr might be the best guy in the league to plant in front of the net. Congrats philly, he’s a great player.

Reactions: BernieParent

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Best of luck to James. Helluva player

that being said, this contract is awful. JVR can pot goals, but he needs to be sheltered (3rd line, PP) or he gets absolutely eaten alive by the top lines of other teams.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think you're about a million high, but he's a player that if you can afford it (both in terms of cap and game planning/sheltering ) he's worth it despite his shortcomings. No one would bat an eye at that money for the D equivalent PP quarterback- and he really is the equivalent. He will score for you, and score a lot.

Consider the baton for the HF defense of an average 29.7 goal scorer as a 30 goal man, passed.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Only one thing that bothered me about JVR. He does this thing with his green mouth guard where he pops it out of his mouth and chews the hell out of the end. There are a legion of peewee and bantam players in the Toronto area that are doing the same thing now. Bad bad example to the kids.
I know i hated that 2 but what can u do about it..

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
.....and helping to make sure a crap-load of pucks go into YOUR net.

Good luck with that. :)
You all wonder why you guys have a terrible reputation on this board, but it's because of posters like you. Grow up and stop making the rest of your fanbase look bad.

Mostly every other Toronto fan in this thread has been insightful and respectful, don't continue bringing it down with your middle schooler rhetoric.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
You all wonder why you guys have a terrible reputation on this board, but it's because of posters like you. Grow up and stop making the rest of your fanbase look bad.

Mostly every other Toronto fan in this thread has been insightful and respectful, don't continue bringing it down with your middle schooler rhetoric.

LOL. Yeah, and the anti-Leaf guys haven't been horrible to us for decades now. That's right.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

There is no need for sniping. As a Flyer fan, I don't think we need JVR at all. We have lots of promising fwds coming up who are a couple years away. Without goaltending they can't win now, so there is no need to block the kids by adding a pricy winger now.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Best of luck to James. Helluva player

that being said, this contract is awful. JVR can pot goals, but he needs to be sheltered (3rd line, PP) or he gets absolutely eaten alive by the top lines of other teams.
it's pretty fair for 5 years. he should be a 30+ goal scorer for at least the first 3-4

Reactions: BernieParent

domestique

Feb 5, 2011
CONUS
The point is........KARMA. You guys chirped the Leafs for so long for having him, and now he's all yours again, long term. And Giroux doesn't like him.

Well, enjoy. :)

What? Giroux and him are very good friends. Reports are that Giroux helped bring JVR back to Philly. The one chirp about being a Pigeon was a chirp.... Giroux is a huge chirper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad