Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] F Travis Konecny signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $8.75M AAV)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The young Flyers players will benefit having around he would go through a wall to win.
He just needed to go to another team, not go thru any walls. The Flyers are already on a four year streak of missing the playoffs.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Much more reasonable. Anything under $9 was gonna be reasonable. He’s the type of player you may over term somewhat because of the pace he provides, etc… like a Dylan Larkin.

Still though, Travis is gonna have to start being consistently around a PPG or the fans will eventually turn on him.
He has been.... while being 3rd in the league in ES scoring percentage of total points. With a half decent power play he's a 90 point player

129 points in last 136 games

That’s right.
He's a clear cut 1st line player

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Woof that's a big deal. I certainly wouldn't want him at that price, but the Flyers couldn't afford to let him go either.
Caufield 7.8M, worth 6.5M is nowhere near Konecny
Laine 8.7M, worth 6M is equivalent of Konecny at 11M
Gallagher 6.5M worth 2M

You must want them all gone immediately

Got paid more than Buchnevich
Why wouldn't he?

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Well

#1 He's better than Horvat by a good amount
by what metric?

in general, horvat has consistently out pointed him over his career. last year they tied for goals and for assists and were within 8 seconds of one another for ice time.

horvat is also bigger, plays centre and is very strong on face offs. all valuable commodities.

Reactions: HabsQC

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Gallagher 6.5M worth 2M

Why wouldn't he?
How old are Caufield and Laine, again? And how old are they going to be at the end of their contract?

Konecny's comparable is Gallagher when he signed his deal, and we know see how those end up. That is the type of deal a contender gives its 28 y old UFA during a contending period, knowing they won't be worth it at the end but they will be tearing down the team anyways.

A rebuilding team like the Flyers should never have given that deal, even less with a NMC. This deal will be a catastrophe...

... and most knowledgeable Flyers fans acknowledge that.

Like most knowledgeable Habs fabs knew Gallagher deal was going to be really bad.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Gallagher 6.5M worth 2M

Why wouldn't he?
Absurd comparison. I'm not sure if you're aware, but Gallagher was a bad deal the day it was signed. Just like Konecny. I'm not sure why you bring up these strange comparisons that have nothing to do with the topic though.

The contract isn't good, but the Flyers need him. That's fine.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
How old are Caufield and Laine, again? And how old are they going to be at the end of their contract?

Konecny's comparable is Gallagher when he signed his deal, and we know see how those end up. That is the type of deal a contender gives its 28 y old UFA during a contending period, knowing they won't be worth it at the end but they will be tearing down the team anyways.

A rebuilding team like the Flyers should never have given that deal, even less with a NMC. This deal will be a catastrophe...

... and most knowledgeable Flyers fans acknowledge that.

Like most knowledgeable Habs fabs knew Gallagher deal was going to be really bad.

I really want to disagree with you, but i can't.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Absurd comparison. I'm not sure if you're aware, but Gallagher was a bad deal the day it was signed. Just like Konecny. I'm not sure why you bring up these strange comparisons that have nothing to do with the topic though.

The contract isn't good, but the Flyers need him. That's fine.
The contract is fair for his current play. It may be bad on the back end. It's not really a good comparison to gallagher.

The contract is not bad. It has the same risk as any long term signed by a 28yo.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The contract is fair for his current play. It may be bad on the back end. It's not really a good comparison to gallagher.

The contract is not bad. It has the same risk as any long term signed by a 28yo.
I feel like it's high now, but again, you can overpay for a guy you need to keep.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
The Flyers back up the truck for a fringe first liner because he "wants to win here" but they can't top the offer Mike Grier made for Askarov, a probable franchise goaltender, when they have six selections in the top two rounds of a single draft and a plethora of young players (but only one with undisputable first line projection). Factor in they're rolling out a tandem with like 60 NHL games of experience....I'm pretty sure we're witnessing a GM that is overvaluing almost of their current assets, and undervaluing potential moves to improve his team.

Reactions: Rebels57

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If you compare to what he would have got on the open market, which should be the comparison, then I don't think it's too high.
Like it's been said many times, problem is not the contract exactly per se.

Many 28y old UFAs get big money contracts that age poorly but that are an ok gamble for teams that plan to contend in the early part of the deal and assume they will be rebuilding at the end anyways when the guy will be 33-36 years old and clearly overpaid...

Big problem here is Flyers won't contend for many years, and that when they want to go for it they'll be stuck with an aging Konecny with a full NMC... A bit like Montreal is now stuck with Gallagher on its bottom 6 at 6 millions per year.

The deal is bad mainly because it has been awarded by the Flyers. They should have realized where they are in their rebuild and let him go.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Like it's been said many times, problem is not the contract exactly per se.

Many 28y old UFAs get big money contracts that age poorly but that are an ok gamble for teams that plan to contend in the early part of the deal and assume they will be rebuilding at the end anyways when the guy will be 33-36 years old and clearly overpaid...

Big problem here is Flyers won't contend for many years, and that when they want to go for it they'll be stuck with an aging Konecny with a full NMC... A bit like Montreal is now stuck with Gallagher on its bottom 6 at 6 millions per year.

The deal is bad mainly because it has been awarded by the Flyers. They should have realized where they are in their rebuild and let him go.
Amen. Very few players are worth retaining in a rebuild - Stamkos and Mackinnon did but for good reason. TK is not even close to either of those players.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00