Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] F Travis Konecny signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $8.75M AAV)

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
- His first playoff run he just turned 21 years-old and was a third liner.

- His second (and last) he was 23 years-old and still had 7 points and was a +3 in 16 games. In other words, he hasn’t even been in a playoff game in 4+ years and he wasn’t close to the player he has become back then so pretty disingenuous to use his limited playoff resume as some sort of real measuring stick.

- His non-pro rated 33 goals and 68 points (and +4) last year led his club by 5 goals and 15 points. I think some people need a refresher on who the 23-24 Flyers were icing in their forward group.

- His non-pro rated 52 even strength points last year were tied for 31st in the entire NHL. Of those 31 players, he was one of 13 who got less than 20 minutes of ice time a game (least you think this is a “bad player getting ALL THE ICE TIME” situation).

- He was one of the top penalty killers on the 4th ranked PK team in the entire league.

He’s a really good and pretty unique player capable of providing offense with almost zero help and with tremendous specialty teams versatility and a real grindy edge.
Yeah if we were in our contention window I’d love the contract.

My only hesitance is projecting it out to when we’re contending

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I thought briere said at the beginning he wanted to rebuild. This is not the kind of move of rebuild. Rebuild is cleaning the house, what is doing is a retool.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Price is pretty much as expected. Comes in asking $10M team probably says $8M...more or less meet in the middle.

But 8 years...not altogether surprising given that he's staying with Philly. But man that's a lot of term. Especially given the rambunctious style of game he plays. He's not a huge dude either. Not totally sold on how that's going to hold up.

Also comes across as a little bit strange within the context of an anticipated Flyers "window". But I suppose maybe they're thinking they can pull off a quicker turnaround now. Not sure about that, given the way they seemed to fall off down the stretch. Michkov is gonna have to be one heck of a player to really tip the scales that much. It's possible, i'm just not convinced.

Reactions: bleachdrinker

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I don’t feel good or bad about this, it’s just whatever. He’s a good hockey player, 1st line talent, can play all situations, I feel like he’ll hold up well most of the contract, is what it is.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Don't love it, but don't hate it either which I guess means it's fine. Don't really think of TK as a nearly $9 million player but guess with the cap going up we have to recalibrate our grading scale.

I have to wonder how much the earlier-than-expected arrival of Michkov informed their decision to resign TK rather than trade him. Probably bumps their competitive window timeline forward.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
68 points is his career high. He hasn't scored 70 (even at 70) since OHL days. This is hella rich. But is what it is

The reality is that he has 129 points in his last 136 games which is a 77 point pace. He was >PPG in 22/23 and would have comfortably hit 70 if he didn't miss those 6 games last season too. "Points Pace" is often overused on here, but it's relevant in cases like this.

Konecny isn't a superstar, but he's very good and has kept improving as he's grown up. People bending over backwards to claim he's some kind of 60 point player are either not doing the proper research or just being intentionally obtuse.

If Konecny was on a contending team, would he be a top 3 scoring forward?

If you're talking the TK of the last two seasons, definitely. He'd be a top line winger on most teams and would most likely score significantly more points too if the team in question had a remotely competent PP unit around him.

Almost as good as Daniel Breiere. The GM. That's what I think watching Konecny on the Flyers

Danny was way more clutch, but not too wild a comparison.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The reality is that he has 129 points in his last 136 games which is a 77 point pace. He was >PPG in 22/23 and would have comfortably hit 70 if he didn't miss those 6 games last season too. "Points Pace" is often overused on here, but it's relevant in cases like this.

Konecny isn't a superstar, but he's very good and has kept improving as he's grown up. People bending over backwards to claim he's some kind of 60 point player are either not doing the proper research or just being intentionally obtuse.

If you're talking the TK of the last two seasons, definitely. He'd be a top line winger on most teams and would most likely score significantly more points too if the team in question had a remotely competent PP unit around him.

Danny was way more clutch, but not too wild a comparison.
Better teams are gonna have better players though. He’s the top option here because he has to be. No other team with any kind of legitimate aspirations would be running their offense through him.

Reactions: BernieParent

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Better teams are gonna have better players though. He’s the top option here because he has to be. No other team with any kind of legitimate aspirations would be running their offense through him.

I disagree and I think you're looking at it from a pessimistic angle. Better teams don't have necessarily have better players than TK, they just have more of them. We see players like him win the cup all the time because they're put on a line with two other players at a similar talent level. The Flyers are where they are because they don't have anyone else.

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
It's very annoying to see so many posters saying it's a good or fair deal when a large majority of posters chastised and laughed at the Horvat deal with the Islanders. Hypocrites.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hes a good player and you want to keep good players but I think the Flyers should of just traded him at 50% at the deadline for a ransom and continued to build.

Reactions: BernieParent

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
wow, that’s a serious AAV……..Draisaitl money…..better hope Michkov doesn’t put up couple 30 goal seasons or he’ll be after wee mitchy marner money!!!

Draisaitl will get *significantly* more money than this when his deal comes up.

It's very annoying to see so many posters saying it's a good or fair deal when a large majority of posters chastised and laughed at the Horvat deal with the Islanders. Hypocrites.

It's a different cap world now.

Reactions: FlyguyOX and TGWL

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Hes a good player and you want to keep good players but I think the Flyers should of just traded him at 50% at the deadline for a ransom and continued to build.
The one thing I will say in Briere's defense is that I believe that his hands are tied by Comcast, who is never going to allow the tear-down rebuild that is required here as the company's shareholders would cause major headaches for them if the building was empty for years. So in that sense, Briere was tapped to do a better, but the same type of, job as Fletcher was supposed. to do.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
True, but those players are going to be signing for $12-15M a year during Konecny's deal.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I've always randomly liked Konecny's game. I think that this is a solid contract. Philadelphia is never going to win a Stanley Cup with Konecny as its best player, but he could be a big contributor to a winner. More realistically, if you are trying to develop young players it really helps to have top players who care. If his health holds up then it should be a solid deal for both sides.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Everyone keeps talking about points per game, but how many guys in the league are really hitting a point per game with 9 power play points? The list is small and those players are in a completely different tier than Konecny and are paid like it.

He's a speedy, undersized forward who can score in multiple ways and will go to the front of the net. He'll never be a PP QB, but he'd have no problem putting up points on a decent unit. The Flyers have by far the worst PP in the league and Konecny's point totals have suffered significantly because of it.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad