Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Kurt Overhardt with another player becoming a serious problem.

Flyers fans, remember this in regards to not picking Buium. Same agent as Gauthier also. This guy has a track record of being unethical.

NHL teams should band together to exclude his clients from the league and he should be banned by the NHLPA.
What’s unethical about Gauthier saying he didn’t want to play for the Flyers?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Playing through an injury on a team going somewhere is worth it to lots of players, rather than playing banged up on an AHL team. Not saying this is the case, but playing through an injury usually needs some motivation or reason to. If a team is out of playoffs, playing banged up makes little sense. Thing is the Flyers placed him on waivers the day he was acquired, so they didn't have plans to use him and not hard to imagine a vet player that even with a minor injury isn't wanting to ride the bus in the AHL.

The LTIR stuff can sometimes play into next seasons cap hit, so maybe they just wanted him off the books. Maybe they also didn't want to pay him the money left on his deal.

Again he could be faking to get out of AHL assignment, but that will be hard to prove, as pretty much any player can be banged up and potentially hurt from playing hockey. Not saying I agree if he just didn't want to play in the AHL, but lots of vet players don't want to ride the bus in the AHL when they have had first class lifestyle of the NHL.

No sympathy for him. He needs to be a professional. If he wants to stay on a good team, he needs to play with more effort. Same goes for staying in the league for that matter. If he’s legitimately injured, he needs be honest and report it and not had behind the CBA when it suits him. When was he injured and did he report it?

Reactions: PlushMinus

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
How it was handled? He wouldn't speak with the team and conduct asking for a trade like an adult.
That’s not really what happened but I understand why that’s the popular perception. Philly FO (read: Comcast employees) are kings of the smear campaign when it comes to covering for their own ineptitude.

Recommend reading up on the situation when you have some time -- there’s an excellent writeup on the saga by one of the posters on the Flyers board, @Rich Nixon:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
How it was handled? He wouldn't speak with the team and conduct asking for a trade like an adult.
He told them a while back he didn't want to be a Flyer anymore and then during a tournament when he told them not to contact him, they went and tried to talk to him anyway, a distraction during a time where he needs to be focused during the WJC. So yeah, Cutter ain't the bloke that was unprofessional.

Ironically, the fact that the Flyers themselves landed Lindros who famously didn't want to be a Nordique, are they really going to sit there and act like they don't understand how that goes?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
What’s unethical about Gauthier saying he didn’t want to play for the Flyers?

Ignoring the club, not taking calls then saying he won't sign indirectly. It's all a shit way of behaving.

He told them a while back he didn't want to be a Flyer anymore and then during a tournament when he told them not to contact him, they went and tried to talk to him anyway, a distraction during a time where he needs to be focused during the WJC. So yeah, Cutter ain't the bloke that was unprofessional.

Ironically, the fact that the Flyers themselves landed Lindros who famously didn't want to be a Nordique, are they really going to sit there and act like they don't understand how that goes?

Lindros behaving the same way doesn't make it right. They both could have behaved better.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

Can't talk to their investment during a tournament? Are you kidding me?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Can't talk to their investment during a tournament? Are you kidding me?
Adam Fox, Blake Wheeler, etc

But when Gauthier wouldn’t meet with them at the recent World Juniors, it was over. (As an aside, I did have some teams tell me it is not unusual for players to be off-limits during these events. Hockey Canada, in particular, was well-known for keeping NHL clubs at arm’s length.)
This isn't anything new. Briere just acted butt hurt about it when it was something Cutter's camp already told them wasn't going to happen.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

This isn't anything new. Briere just acted butt hurt about it when it was something Cutter's camp already told them wasn't going to happen.
Ya. Adam Fox is a POS.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Aren't you the guy earlier who was referencing Lindros? From your own article:

"There are comparisons to Eric Lindros, but it’s not the same. Lindros told Quebec not to take him, there was no such demand from Gauthier. "

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Well he didn't want to be a Nordique before he was drafted, so it's different.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
You seem to have taken the Flyers version of the story as complete fact. This is one of those situations where there is a significant amount of nuance that you're completely ignoring. They seemed to think that firing their GM was a "get out of jail free card" with regard to commitments that their previous GM had made. Nothing that Briere did was illegal, but I think that much more the definition of unethical and the level of hubris exhibited when the Flyers were surprised when the other party they screwed decided he no longer wanted to play there after that.

I'm someone at least considers a team's position when there are these "player vs. organization" conflict, and think I'm relatively fair. As was his right, Briere decided not to live up to what his predecessor committed the organization to. Part of that right was living with the ramifications, and when a team screws a very rare talent, it shouldn't be surprising that they are going to exercise their rights, which include not signing a contract with the organization. Top 5 picks typically aren't generic "assets" that can be easily replaced, and if you treat them poorly it typically will not end well for the organization.

Obviously - I don't have access to 100% of the actual facts and circumstances of this case. I did find it interesting, and read as much about the situation as I could. To me, it seemed like the Flyers were acting like the Red Sox whose standard practice is to weaponize the media and absolutely NUKE people who leave the organization. There is a really wide range of what could actually have happened. My intrepretation of what likely went down is Fletcher made promises to CG's camp that Briere didn't feel he had to honor, and Briere felt that he would be able to repair the relationship in the future when it came time to sign the guy he just screwed. When that was not possible, the Flyers controlled the narrative and took the flame-thrower to CG in the media. I think it's MUCH more likely that the Flyers screwed CG and soured the relationship, rather than CG just went borderline insane one day for no reason. YMMV.

EDIT:
Philadelphia Flyers put F Ryan Johansen on unconditional waivers, citing material breach | TSN said:
"He's going through some kind of rehab," Briere told NHL.com June. "He had an injection; claims he has a hip injury. At this point, honestly I'm not too sure where it's at. We're not sure if he's going to need surgery, or if he's going to be ready for camp. We don't really know at this point."

This is what I mean by smear campaign (note this is from June). Briere makes multiple statements "claims he has a hip injury", "I'm not too sure where it's at" that make you believe that the Flyers doctors have not been involved in this situation at all, and is 100% insinuating that RJ is a malingering POS. Based on his reputation, maybe RJ is that, but calling him out in the press when you're the GM isn't necessarily the best way to go when you potentially need to negotiate with him going forward. Likewise - screwing the most important prospect in your system by offering him an AHL try-out instead of signing him and burning a year off his ELC as promised (and is common practice for other highly thought of prospects across the NHL) likely is not be the best way to start off your hopeful long-term relationship with a foundational piece of your organization. I would have hoped that any of the ex-players (Briere, Jones, Lindros) would have enough self awareness to see how those actions might decrease the likelihood of a good relationship moving forward. But it seems like the leadership team immediately relied on "This is best for the Flyers, and if you don't acquiesce we're going to brand you as a selfish POS.". A bit ironic when you think about Lindros' history regarding the Flyers training staff. Organization leadership wants to use "this is a business" to justify every action they make, but then are shocked when players don't sign up to take one for the team because it's also a business for the player. I'm generally "pro-team", but that is complete BS.

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
That’s not really what happened but I understand why that’s the popular perception. Philly FO (read: Comcast employees) are kings of the smear campaign when it comes to covering for their own ineptitude.

Recommend reading up on the situation when you have some time -- there’s an excellent writeup on the saga by one of the posters on the Flyers board, @Rich Nixon:

Maybe Its because i read it too fast but all i'm taking from this is Gauthier wanted out because they didn't want to sign his ELC and give him his 10 games at the end of the season?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe Its because i read it too fast but all i'm taking from this is Gauthier wanted out because they didn't want to sign his ELC and give him his 10 games at the end of the season?
My take is that he had basically been promised that by Fletcher if his college season ended it time (and it did), but then when Briere came in the Flyers position on burning a year changed. In general March 2023 was a period of comic ineptitude for the organization so I'm not surprised or upset that a top prospect watched all that happen and said, I can't be part of this.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
My understanding was that Fletcher made a commitment on behalf of the Flyers that Cutter would be signed at the end of the season and burn a year of his ELC, when Briere came in he reneged that commitment and Cutter decided he didn't want to be locked into an organisation for what could be 7 years when they don't honour their own promises.

That is all admittedly hearsay though

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
It is buyer beware when you trade for a guy that never really cared about hockey.. or anything really , for his entire life.

If you were going to pick a guy trying to milk disability benefits, he would be your poster child.
Wait. How is he "trying to milk disability benefits"?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If RyJo says he was injured, what steps did the Philly organization take to verify to check it to ensure a proper rehab for him? Is Are there any documentation from Colorado which indicates RyJo was hurting? Did Phi give him a physical, any scans, expert evaluation on his condition?

With those comments from Briere, it doesn't appear Phi did much to gather information on his condition before the year end exit physicals.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If RyJo says he was injured, what steps did the Philly organization take to verify to check it to ensure a proper rehab for him? Is Are there any documentation from Colorado which indicates RyJo was hurting? Did Phi give him a physical, any scans, expert evaluation on his condition?

With those comments from Briere, it doesn't appear Phi did much to gather information on his condition before the year end exit physicals.
He only mysteriously became injured , after not being picked up from waivers, and was about to be sent down.

After never missing a game for Colorado.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
My take is that he had basically been promised that by Fletcher if his college season ended it time (and it did), but then when Briere came in the Flyers position on burning a year changed. In general March 2023 was a period of comic ineptitude for the organization so I'm not surprised or upset that a top prospect watched all that happen and said, I can't be part of this.
Just want to say that you're one of the best posters on this site. It's a rare person who is a true fan of an organization, but still objective enough to understand that the team isn't blameless in the situations. I feel like you always provide balanced insight into the trials and tribulations of the Flyers, so thank you!

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

He mentioned the injury after being traded to Philly and subsequently being assigned to the AHL affiliate. Then, he met with team doctors in Lehigh to assess the severity of the injury. That's all that I've seen reported, so I can only assume with this waiver that his injury wasn't deemed by those doctors to be severe enough to keep him out of the line up.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
You conveniently failed to mention that the Flyers never even gave him a chance to play and immediately sent him to the AHL.

I can understand a hockey player willing to play thru an injury trying to help his team in a P/O race decide he didn't want to risk aggravating the injury playing in the AHL. YMMV.

This is the line I am curious.

If he was nursing an injury but was like NHL and playoffs.

As soon as he got sent to a 'bad' team he figures time to get healthy and fix my injury issues.

Curious on the legality and everything. NBA teams near the end sit Guys for games when playoffs won't be made. Rehab injury etc.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad