Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
That RyJo for Jones trade looking like one of the more lopsided trades of the past decade.

I mean, RyJo put in a hell of a performance for Nashville during our cup run, PPG and shutting down Toews and Kane in round one. Had he not gotten injured, and Mike Riberio not been a sexual predator, the finals would look a whole lot different, instead we had to go with "Top 6" Nick Spaling and Freddy "The AHLer" Gaudreau as our centers vs. Pittsburgh.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook calls it a career because of injury

Using Seabrook as an example - he had been trying to play through a variety of shoulder/hip issues for years. My understanding is he couldn't lift his arm over his shoulder. This is probably one of the more extreme cases, but most players who've played their entire adult lives have a number of physical ailments that will hinder them for the remainder of their lives.

That’s one guy
Different from a claim that most players over the age of 30 deserve LTIR

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Don't get me wrong it's not a perfect situation/solution. But this does seem like an odd hill to die on and one that's likely to piss off some players. But with how they handled Couturier that ship has probably sailed already
Being dodgy and non compliant is not on the Flyers. I get it's easy to lump things give the same franchise has had a number of issues but seems to me a lot of these guys outside of Couturier who was a Tortz decision have to learn to be accountable.

Gauthier wanted entitlement before proving or earning anything

Johansen with the little info available looks like he's avoiding proper disclosure to help the Flyers move forward.

Ultimately they have had a lot of bad contracts and players with injury issues and took some of those on to help a retool but i highly doubt this is a big issue if Johansen (who is a lazy person by repuatation) had done his end of the bargain and in good faith looked to get things sorted rather than probably decide he's just gonna sit this out without proper doctor approvals and communications

It's not like Briere doesn't know the PA and lawyers will be involved. Johansen is being called out for being a tool and it's not the first time

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't get me wrong it's not a perfect situation/solution. But this does seem like an odd hill to die on and one that's likely to piss off some players. But with how they handled Couturier that ship has probably sailed already

It ultimately depends on what new info the Flyers have found. Is Johansen actively rehabbing his injury in an attempt to play. Was he caught doing something in the offseason such as water-skiing that could further aggrevate said injury.

Hard to know if they are justified or not in this without knowing more.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Lmfao @ politically correct tweet.

The NHL opted to get rid of Pride night instead of force some dipshits to wear the jerseys. What make you think they care about liked tweets (which aren't even public any more)?
The NHL still has to play the bullsh** PC game to an extent.

Why wouldn't a team try it ? If a player went on some racist diatribe on Twitter. Just say that this will damage the teams brand too much and the player has to be terminated

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If that situation can be proven (unfair implementation of contract termination based on age) it would 100% come up during the arbitration regarding eventual contract payout.
This seems unfair, I have seen reports that its about an undisclosed injury that the Avs didn't tell the Flyers about. So why is it on Johansen and not the Avs?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I thought I read he was doing everything he could to not be bought out or get sent down (ie. trying to LTIR or "be injured"). I can appreciate getting the money when you can, but he already had the money.

I mean most of these guys live with pain the average person doesn't. It would be simple for a Dr to deem them injured
Average HF poster hasn't earned like $50M in their life. What a stupid comparison to make. Life is pain, deal with it (Movie: The Long Kiss Good Night).

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
This seems unfair, I have seen reports that its about an undisclosed injury that the Avs didn't tell the Flyers about. So why is it on Johansen and not the Avs?
Maybe because the injury didn't seem to be enough of a problem to Joey until the Flyers tried to send him to the AHL?? I have no doubt the guy has had serious wear and tear but waiting until after you are traded and facing demotion to claim to be physically unable to play reeks of bullshit, I think any reasonable person would be suspicious under those circumstances

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I mean most of these guys live with pain the average person doesn't. It would be simple for a Dr to deem them injured

I don’t why you keep speaking on this broad assumption that most players in the league are living with constant pain 24/7 and deserve LTIR once 30 hits.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I’ve seen at least two mentions of water skiing which is specific enough that I’ll choose to believe there is some smoke there until proven otherwise lol. But for real, I’d assume the Flyers got their ducks in a row before doing this

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Maybe because the injury didn't seem to be enough of a problem to Joey until the Flyers tried to send him to the AHL?? I have no doubt the guy has had serious wear and tear but waiting until after you are traded and facing demotion to claim to be physically unable to play reeks of bullshit, I think any reasonable person would be suspicious under those circumstances
If a Dr finds an injury or injuries that warrant LTIR than IMO all that's moot

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Being dodgy and non compliant is not on the Flyers. I get it's easy to lump things give the same franchise has had a number of issues but seems to me a lot of these guys outside of Couturier who was a Tortz decision have to learn to be accountable.

Gauthier wanted entitlement before proving or earning anything

Johansen with the little info available looks like he's avoiding proper disclosure to help the Flyers move forward.

Ultimately they have had a lot of bad contracts and players with injury issues and took some of those on to help a retool but i highly doubt this is a big issue if Johansen (who is a lazy person by repuatation) had done his end of the bargain and in good faith looked to get things sorted rather than probably decide he's just gonna sit this out without proper doctor approvals and communications

It's not like Briere doesn't know the PA and lawyers will be involved. Johansen is being called out for being a tool and it's not the first time

Nah, if you follow these stories closely you realize the Flyers keep running into these situations because their inexperienced management has no idea what it's doing.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
It sounds like the implication is that he manufactured an injury to potentially avoid playing for Torts and then subsequently minor league team after being waved...?

He played every game with colorado and then was suddenly injured at some point with flyers.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Sme people were discussing the cap hit penalty on the Kings due to the Richard's termination earlier in this thread. Was that a penalty for termination of the contract or was that simply the cap recapture rules from the 2013 CBA coming into play? I believe Richards's contract may have fallen under those rules, requiring the Kings to repay the cap savings they had received from the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad