Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
This ^^^
Flyers clear the cap and RyJo gets his money.
This is so dumb.

There was never anything the Flyers tried to do where RyJo wouldn't end up getting his $$$. Go to the AHL, go on LTIR...what did he actually want from them that they wouldn't provide? Ahh...a buy-out...he wanted to avoid a buy-out!! And get all the money he possibly could...hence, his f***ery.

I hope he gets nothing. It's what he merits. Sign with another team if you like RyJo

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Apparently the CBA matter not though. A club can arbitrarily terminate a players contract and then it’s up to the player (with the help of the NHLPA) to fight that. Seems ass backwards but that how it goes.
Even as a Flyers fan who would obviously love that cap hit off the books, this process really does seem backwards. If thinking big picture, the cap hit should remain until it's resolved. It also seems like a poor practice to allow teams to terminate a contract and then have a cash settlement.

I'm curious to what the standard of evidence or claim from a team must be. Are medical records provided. If it's not medically related is it enough to say he won't report to assignment?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Reading between the lines on Lehner it seems like Vegas had the legal right to terminate his deal and clear his cap hit, but the team and league were worried Lehner would do something drastic if that happened. So the compromise was to remove him from the cap, but Lehner still gets his money. Kind of unfair to the rest of the league, but better than the possible alternative.

• Wow
Reactions: Rebels57

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Reading between the lines on Lehner it seems like Vegas had the legal right to terminate his deal and clear his cap hit, but the team and league were worried Lehner would do something drastic if that happened. So the compromise was to remove him from the cap, but Lehner still gets his money. Kind of unfair to the rest of the league, but better than the possible alternative.

A little unfair but let's be real they will be in LTIR soon anyways.

Lehner didn't meet his obligations so Vegas was like let's not pay.
Agent is like come on Vegas you know my guy is mentally unwell.
Betttman is then like listen we can win win Here. Pay him Vegas but off the books.

It sucks but it was the right thing to do.

Now Johansen situation is interesting. It's not a secret NHL players play through injuries and most likely once he realized o I am not on a playoff team maybe I should stop playing with injuries. I do believe the surgery and injury is real.

I do wonder how this will be dealt with. With the lack of information we have its tough to know what to do with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad