Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
In this particular case, Laine probably didn't want to play for Tortorella again, which is understandable if they didn't get along in Columbus. Would you accept a job working for a former boss with which you previously had a bad experience? I certainly would not.

And that makes Laine the 4th or 5th NHL player or prospect to refuse to play in the Flyers organization in the last year, which probably says a lot more about how Flyers management is perceived around the league than it says about Laine.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yeah, what a loser...$60 Million in his pocket, plays hockey for a living, beautiful wife. Go back to being a keyboard warrior and yelling at Mom for more Meatloaf.
Show me where I said he's a loser? Yea he's done better than everyone on this board, and made more money playing hockey than he really should've. Doesn't change the fact that as far as NHLers go he's not exactly respectable

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Hard to see Nashville being successful in (and RJ’s grievance of) their unilateral termination of his contract based on their belief he’s not injured. They will have doctors on their side but he will have doctors on his side. Will be difficult to prove.
Nashville isn't involved in the contract termination. They traded his contract a while back. The only way Nashville is involved is by being able to remove his salary retention from their dead cap if his contract is successfully terminated.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

sena

Jul 3, 2024
Hard to see Nashville being successful in (and RJ’s grievance of) their unilateral termination of his contract based on their belief he’s not injured. They will have doctors on their side but he will have doctors on his side. Will be difficult to prove.
These guys probably have pictures and vids of him participating in physical activities without any issues. They don't often mess with legally binding contracts without some sort of evidence

Reactions: andora

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
These guys probably have pictures and vids of him participating in physical activities without any issues. They don't often mess with legally binding contracts without some sort of evidence
Didn’t the Sharks lose a legal case to Evander Kane and have to pay him after they unilaterally terminated his contract?
I’m not too sure how the whole grievance process works. Does that occur before the contract can be terminated? Is that happening right now?

Reactions: dukeofjive

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nashville isn't involved in the contract termination. They traded his contract a while back. The only way Nashville is involved is by being able to remove his salary retention from their dead cap if his contract is successfully terminated.
Still no involvement. Nashville pays half of his owed contract. If there’s no contract there’s no payment

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Where did I say he used a NTC/NMC?
You didn't, but obviously the attitude is different when player is exercising his contract written right to decline a trade vs. actually quitting on the team, effectively failing to fulfil his end of a contract.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
You didn't, but obviously the attitude is different when player is exercising his contract written right to decline a trade vs. actually quitting on the team, effectively failing to fulfil his end of a contract.
I see two players who quit on their teams

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I see two players who quit on their teams
Laine didn't quit on Winnipeg did he? On his last game, he scored like 4 points lol. PLD did in fact, quit. He literally quit playing.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Didn’t the Sharks lose a legal case to Evander Kane and have to pay him after they unilaterally terminated his contract?
I’m not too sure how the whole grievance process works. Does that occur before the contract can be terminated? Is that happening right now?
Teams often expect they'll still have to pay the player after terminating a contract, most care more about the cap implications. I believe the Sharks still had to pay Kane, but they aren't on the hook for his cap.

Reactions: Fatass

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Two words.

John Tortorella.

Eh, it's much bigger than that and I've laid it out in so many words prior, but it actually starts with one word: Comcast. Because they're the ones who hired Tortorella (literally, he was hired by corporate) and then paired him with a rookie GM, President, and team CEO. Bad combo. Badly run company with a bad culture.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If player gets paid, team gets a cap hit.
Okay, please explain this:

Sharks terminate Kane's contract, which goes until 2024-25.

Kane files a grievance and they settle with the Sharks agreeing to pay Kane the difference between what he was owed and his new contract with the Oilers.

"The agreement has been approved by the NHL and the NHL Players' Association," the Sharks said in a statement. "We are satisfied that its terms will not adversely impact the team, either financially or competitively, in this or future seasons."

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Kane files a grievance and they settle with the Sharks agreeing to pay Kane the difference between what he was owed and his new contract with the Oilers.

"The agreement has been approved by the NHL and the NHL Players' Association," the Sharks said in a statement. "We are satisfied that its terms will not adversely impact the team, either financially or competitively, in this or future seasons."

@mouser because he knows more about the CBA than anyone I know.

In every case that I was aware of of a player got paid, the team had a cap hit. Hawks termed Perry, he got paid, Hawks took a cap hit. Let me do some research on Kane. I assume the Kane case was different because the contract term was COVID related.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

San Jose received a cap charge in 2021-22, presumably equal to the one time grievance settlement amount the Sharks paid to Kane.

To my knowledge the exact settlement amount has not been publicly released, but San Jose had enough free cap space available in 2021-22 to absorb that cap charge without any carryover to the next season.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
@mouser because he knows more about the CBA than anyone I know.

In every case that I was aware of of a player got paid, the team had a cap hit. Hawks termed Perry, he got paid, Hawks took a cap hit. Let me do some research on Kane. I assume the Kane case was different because the contract term was COVID related.
San Jose received a cap charge in 2021-22, presumably equal to the one time grievance settlement amount the Sharks paid to Kane.

To my knowledge the exact settlement amount has not been publicly released, but San Jose had enough free cap space available in 2021-22 to absorb that cap charge without any carryover to the next season.
That makes sense, I read a bit more of the article and San Jose got a pretty sweet deal in the end - having a $19 mil owed prior to terminating and only ending up with less than a $4.9 mil paid/retroactive cap hit.
Kane was due $19 million in salary for the last three years of his San Jose contract. The first three years of his new deal with the Oilers pay him a combined $16.5 million in salary. An NHL source believed the settlement will generate a cap hit that will be retroactively applied to the 2021-22 Sharks' salary cap. They finished last season with around $4.9 million in cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad