Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I bet they regret taking a flyer on him.

giphy.gif

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Such a dynamic start to his career with Columbus......and made a lot of money playing for Columbus and Nashville. But relative to what he was paid, his offensive numbers were pretty pedestrian. He rarely broke through the 20-goal mark, and seemed permanently stuck in the 40-60 point plateau season after season.

But with Johansen, as he approached 30, it was all about the major injuries that slowed him considerably. And then there were the rumors that his off-ice conditioning and work-rate weren't the best.

Still, he's a good B.C. boy, who was a fourth overall pick back in the day. But this might be the end of the line, at least in the NHL. And it'll take awhile to sort out his legal problems with the Flyers.....so even a PTO seems unlikely at this point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Such a dynamic start to his career with Columbus......and made a lot of money playing for Columbus and Nashville. But relative to what he was paid, his offensive numbers were pretty pedestrian. He rarely broke through the 20-goal mark, and seemed permanently stuck in the 40-60 point plateau season after season.

But with Johansen, as he approached 30, it was all about the major injuries that slowed him considerably. And then there were the rumors that his off-ice conditioning and work-rate weren't the best.

Still, he's a good B.C. boy, who was a fourth overall pick back in the day. But this might be the end of the line, at least in the NHL. And it'll take awhile to sort out his legal problems with the Flyers.....so even a PTO seems unlikely at this point.
Main reason for RyJo to grieve the termination is because he claims he’s still injured isn’t he? So I don’t think he’s a PTO guy.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Interesting revelation that the Jackets and Flyers had an agreement to swap Laine for Johansen, before Laine ultimately nixed the deal. Obviously this would have been before the contract termination.

Fixed that for you.

• Love
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Interesting revelation that the Habs Jackets and Flyers had an agreement to swap Laine for Johansen, before Laine ultimately nixed the deal. Obviously this would have been before the contract termination.

Ahaha Laine can't stop looking like a clown. Dude crys his way off 2 teams, is choosy about his 3rd, and yet people repeatedly told me that...

1) He's somehow not a cancer like Dubois
2) He has positive trade value

LMFAO

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
They should have just bought him if they had no intention of playing him from day 1. It stinks of unprofessional dirtbagitude.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Ahaha Laine can't stop looking like a clown. Dude crys his way off 2 teams, is choosy about his 3rd, and yet people repeatedly told me that...

LMFAO
In this particular case, Laine probably didn't want to play for Tortorella again, which is understandable if they didn't get along in Columbus. Would you accept a job working for a former boss with which you previously had a bad experience? I certainly would not.

Evergreen

They couldn't buy him out because he's been injured or saying he's injured since they traded for him.
Not to mention there are limited windows in which you are allowed to buy out a player, and the first came well after Johansen expressed his refusal to play.

bleachdrinker

Sep 7, 2022
Philadelphia
If RyJo's contract gets terminated, is he done in the NHL? I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking to recoup a majority of the $8M he's owed the season if he does come back, but also can't see a team taking the risk on giving him much based on on-ice performance and any reputational hits he may take if it's decided he was in breach of contract.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005

LMFAO
Yeah, what a loser...$60 Million in his pocket, plays hockey for a living, beautiful wife. Go back to being a keyboard warrior and yelling at Mom for more Meatloaf.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hard to see Nashville being successful in (and RJ’s grievance of) their unilateral termination of his contract based on their belief he’s not injured. They will have doctors on their side but he will have doctors on his side. Will be difficult to prove.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
If RyJo's contract gets terminated, is he done in the NHL? I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking to recoup a majority of the $8M he's owed the season if he does come back, but also can't see a team taking the risk on giving him much based on on-ice performance and any reputational hits he may take if it's decided he was in breach of contract.
From everything I've read, he's lazy and exaggerates injury so he doesn't have to play. Highly unlikely anyone takes a chance on him, and also highly unlikely he signs a PTO and plays for a platry $1 Million because then he would have to actually work hard. He'll ride into the sunset counting his $75+ Million he's made. Not a bad thing for him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
From everything I've read, he's lazy and exaggerates injury so he doesn't have to play. Highly unlikely anyone takes a chance on him, and also highly unlikely he signs a PTO and plays for a platry $1 Million because then he would have to actually work hard. He'll ride into the sunset counting his $75+ Million he's made. Not a bad thing for him.
For certain RyJo has doctors supporting his injury status. Might be hard to terminate his contract.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

It would be surprising if someone commits money to a malingerer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad