Confirmed Buy-Out [PHI] F Cam Atkinson bought out by the Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So is there still a player there….still effective or pretty much done now
I mean he ended the season playing 4th line minutes and in 23 GP went 0+0=0 with a -9…which is actually fairly remarkable. This despite Flyers fans saying he’s actually a Torts favorite.

I mean for a 5-8 guy in his mid-30’s who is going to find a very limited role at his size and age at this point; it doesn’t get much more “done” than that but I’m sure somebody will throw him a minimum contract.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Wouldn’t be surprised if this is a favor to Cam to let him sign where he wants and gives the Flyers an opportunity to play some of the younger guys.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The roster spot.

Don't get opposition to this one. Flyers fans keep clamoring for roster spots, and to take away the coach's pets, and when they do, they complain about it.
Bury him.

This makes no sense.

Reactions: SnS

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Was he really bad these last couple seasons in terms of his overall performance/athleticism or did he not fit the Torts model of coaching?
If one is permitted to judge by Tortorella's tenure here - which occurred when Atkinson was also here - he's as perfect a fit for the Torts model as you can imagine, and likely has served as an excellent "ambassador" leader type on his behalf. But under the circumstances a buyout is understandable.

There's no roster spot for him here but I'm still kind of hoping he signs here anyways, if only so he can retire as a Jacket like he should.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Why Atkinson and not Petersen? Or Johansen? Though I think RyJo is possibly injured?

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Why Atkinson and not Petersen? Or Johansen? Though I think RyJo is possibly injured?

Because they can bury Cal (may even need him at some point with two unproven goalies) & Johansen claims he’s injured.

It’s likely a favor to Cam. So he can try and play another year where he wants.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012

I’m guessing Cam wants to try and keep playing, so the Flyers are doing him a favor. Johansen is injured. Petersen knows he is done, and would rather not lose 1/3 of what he is owed.

Reactions: Steddy33

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Johansen is "injured"

He played 63/63 games for Colorado before being traded on March 6th

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m guessing Cam wants to try and keep playing, so the Flyers are doing him a favor. Johansen is injured. Petersen knows he is done, and would rather not lose 1/3 of what he is owed.
They tried to get rid of him for 1/2 and no takers. So, they end up buying him out to let him out. Other than burying him in the A and eating all of the dead cap this season, no other option.

Maybe there does need to be a mechanism like the NFL where they have a "Post/Pre" June 1 cut, where the team has the option of how they want the buyout cap charges to hit. Like whether they want it all in the remaining years of the contract or spread over double the length (like it currently is).

As an NFL follower, I'm used to see dead cap charges for players no longer on the roster. Only a handful of NFL teams only had 7 figures of dead cap charges. Most, even the stronger clubs like SF, Philly, etc had like 15% of their cap in dead money.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
still a decent 3rd line scoring option, Philly couldn't hold on to him and retain 50% at the TDL for a late pick? or maybe he gets hot and you get something more.
He’s completely cooked. He doesn’t have a spot. If it wasn’t for who he is, he would not have had most of the chances he did.

What do the need the cap space for? Well, for one, they’re over the cap. And they’re not contenders, so the dead money next year doesn’t matter since it’s not very much anyways.

People think you only buy players out because you need the space. No. You can buy players out because you have it to burn. The Flyers still have it to burn as its spread out.

Good move.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
No reason to buy him out when it’s one year left.

It just wasn’t a logical decision.
Some sources are indicating that the Flyers may need cap room this season to accommodate Michkov performance bonuses, instead of potentially pushing them to next season.

They certainly don't seem to need cap this year for salaries, or a roster spot freed up. Atkinson could simply play if he could perform, otherwise not play.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Cam Atkinson was one of the players who were vocally in favour of hiring coach Tortorella.
Once Tort's saw what Cam has to offer after he was able to play this season I'm pretty sure Tort's told Danny and Jonesy to move Atkinson if they could find a trade partner. San Jose was willing but Atkinson declined the move. Buying him out enables Atkinson a nice pay check and the freedom to go wherever he wants. I think he'll be back with Columbus.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
1719613067030.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad