Confirmed Trade: [PHI/EDM] Flyers trade 32OV pick for EDM top-12 protected 1st in 2025

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
This is a weird trade.... Edmonton seems to have gotten fleeced - they likely gave up a pick in the 20s for the #32 pick in a bad draft, and have lost 2 first rounders to trade during the rest of the McDrai window (ie, until the 2025 pick is tranferred, the 2026 pick can't be moved, either)

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
This is a weird trade.... Edmonton seems to have gotten fleeced - they likely gave up a pick in the 20s for the #32 pick in a bad draft, and have lost 2 first rounders to trade during the rest of the McDrai window (ie, until the 2025 pick is tranferred, the 2026 pick can't be moved, either)
I thought this too, but conditions for the trade were actually

"If the pick does not convey to the Flyers next year, the pick in 2026 will be unprotected. If the Oilers trade their 2026 first-round pick, the Flyers will automatically get the pick in 2025."

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I thought this too, but conditions for the trade were actually

"If the pick does not convey to the Flyers next year, the pick in 2026 will be unprotected. If the Oilers trade their 2026 first-round pick, the Flyers will automatically get the pick in 2025."
Thanks, might not be too bad, if Edmonton is doing well they could still move the 2026 pick, then.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Why don't you share those statistics if you have them so readily available? And make sure you're sharing 1st (and to be nice let's say 2nd) round picks.
I specifically stated players drafted outside the top 20....INCLUDING all the 18 year old rookies, the average age is 21.4, outside of the first it drops to 22.8

Now to your credit I did say 5-6 years which would have put it at 23

For those curious...all random stats like these are available on statmuse

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I specifically stated players drafted outside the top 20....INCLUDING all the 18 year old rookies, the average age is 21.4, outside of the first it drops to 22.8

Now to your credit I did say 5-6 years which would have put it at 23

For those curious...all random stats like these are available on statmuse
We're talking about a player drafted in the 1st. You're shifting the goal posts to help your bad argument.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
i have never seen anyone persuasively quantify the present day value discount of a future draft pick but next year's pick is definitely worth less than this year's equivalent pick. a year is a long time for a prospect

If I am reading the deal right. It could be this years 32 for next years 13th? Is that correct. There is a big difference between those two drafting spots. For me this draft class is very underwhelming and lacking. I do not think we are comparing 32 to 32 here. I do not see the Oilers duplicating their success in the playoffs next year. Oilers are in a win now mode, I assume, and the player they took may not be ready for their roster for like 5 years.

Last I checked, it happened today in the 1st round.

old timers will point out that up till 2000 32 was a mid second. Allcomes own to perspective

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If I am reading the deal right. It could be this years 32 for next years 13th? Is that correct. There is a big difference between those two drafting spots. For me this draft class is very underwhelming and lacking. I do not think we are comparing 32 to 32 here. I do not see the Oilers duplicating their success in the playoffs next year. Oilers are in a win now mode, I assume, and the player they took may not be ready for their roster for like 5 years.

old timers will point out that up till 2000 32 was a mid second. Allcomes own to perspective
I'm not sure referencing drafts from a quarter century ago have much relevance today. :dunno:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If I am reading the deal right. It could be this years 32 for next years 13th? Is that correct.
could be. the oilers are gambling otherwise. i am not suggesting this years 32 may be more valuable than 13 but maybe it is better than 24 or so. depends also on how strong they think the prospect they got is year on year.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Surprising they'd burn a premium asset right in their window but I guess they love the player they got.

They had some good options with that pick but Im not crazy about O'Reilly, I like his game but don't see the upside to make that kind of move for him. Prob a 3/4C.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Broberg and Holloway showed how important developing prospects is for a cup run. The plan (who knows if they can actually do it) is likely to re-up McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard, so they'll need low-cost talent to supplement the lineup. The cupboards are bare right now, so this gives them a 1 year head start. It could blow up in their faces spectacularly, but they are obviously confident that they can go deep in the playoffs again next year.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
This is what happens when there’s no GM in place to make a trade, seems the fresh loss from the cup has Edmonton betting on themselves.

The Oilers would have to win the Cup next season for them to win this deal.
Ya win some ya lose some

It'll come out same in the end

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad