Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Leland Irving's numbers were significantly better than Price's as well. How'd that work out? Look who Price was playing behind in Juniors. Nobodies. I'm as pumped for Hart as anyone, but you need to keep your expectations in check a little bit. The CHL hasn't exactly been churning out Star goalies lately. The thing that Price had going for him was he got to play 24 AHL games, including the playoffs, the season before he turned pro and he was excellent. Hart will never get that opportunity here, but if he did and excelled, it could move his timeline up, but he's most likely making his pro debut in the AHL in October 2018.
Sure, anyone can bust, but that logic is fallacious to invoke at this point. All we have to go off of are numbers right now, and the numbers for Hart are better than Price's were. A player could have the best numbers that anyone has ever had in any junior league ever, and then bust, but that still wouldn't exist as anything other than an anecdote.

I'm not saying Hart shouldn't start in the AHL. Can't hurt. But, if he tears it up, he should be playing in the NHL.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm just making a point that I think you are way off saying he's a significantly better prospect than Price. You're setting an unrealistic bar.

For Hart to play in the NHL next year, it'll happen like every other prospect that had to start their careers in the Lehigh Valley- an injury or two. And I doubt he'd be the first goalie recalled next year. Look how conservative Hextall is with skater recalls. Imagine how he is going to be with a goalie. He wouldn't even let Hart play in preseason games the last 2 years. If he dominates for a full season next year, a full-time gig in 2019-2020 is realistic.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
If hart is with the phantoms at the end of the regular season I wonder if they let him start a game if it is a meaningless game in the standings which there could be a couple this year with the lead they have in the division.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If hart is with the phantoms at the end of the regular season I wonder if they let him start a game if it is a meaningless game in the standings which there could be a couple this year with the lead they have in the division.
His WHL team would have to get upset in the first round for that to happen. They are the #1 seed so it seems unlikely. If and when he gets to LHV he could be the 5th guy behind Lyon, Stolarz, Tokarski, and Muse.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This organization is loyal to a fault. Even though Hart is probably the best goalie out of that bunch, they won't give him the time of day to play over those guys.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
His WHL team would have to get upset in the first round for that to happen. They are the #1 seed so it seems unlikely. If and when he gets to LHV he could be the 5th guy behind Lyon, Stolarz, Tokarski, and Muse.

Wishful thinking I guess that maybe they would rest the goalies and the kid would get to play a game but I know better. I bought phantoms tix last year for their last game of the season thinking I would get to see Friedman and or Myers get to play silly me. :laugh:

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I actually don't think Price going right to the NHL was actually the best move for his development. That was Gainey trying to ensure his selection of Price that high was justified. Price was respectable but not that great for his first handful of years in the league. If we can put Hart in a better position to succeed, let's not throw him to the wolves. If he comes in and is clearly capable, don't hold him back just because of some notion of riding the bus in the AHL being a requisite to success, but don't push short-term possible gain for long-term development loss.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I actually don't think Price going right to the NHL was actually the best move for his development. That was Gainey trying to ensure his selection of Price that high was justified. Price was respectable but not that great for his first handful of years in the league. If we can put Hart in a better position to succeed, let's not throw him to the wolves. If he comes in and is clearly capable, don't hold him back just because of some notion of riding the bus in the AHL being a requisite to success, but don't push short-term possible gain for long-term development loss.

Hextall doesn't have that pressure. Hart will be in the AHL until he's absolutely needed or the organization feels he's ready. More likely he'll be thrusted into action by injuries, seems to be the most common way to see how ready a goalie is.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
One thing Hexy did do this year is add goalies with ahl experience to not have a repeat of last years playoffs when u had 2 guys up from reading. the phantoms with stolarz, Lyon, tokarski, muse all being capable of winning ahl playoff games.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No doubt...if Hexy brings back Elliott & Neuvy, I'm thinking Hart will see some action next year.

I think he'll bring them back, because after Mrazek, he'd rather go with Lyon and Stolarz than the typical retread goalie that will be available this offseason.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No doubt...if Hexy brings back Elliott & Neuvy, I'm thinking Hart will see some action next year.

That depends on whether Stolarz and Lyon stay with the organization. It’s hard to predict how it will play out, other than it being very unlikely Mrazek gets qualified now.

Reactions: Hiesenberg

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think he'll bring them back, because after Mrazek, he'd rather go with Lyon and Stolarz than the typical retread goalie that will be available this offseason.
I think you're right. I thought there was an outside shot of Mrazek sticking around and Elliott/Neuvy being dealt, but he looks like trash, I don't see Hextall tying himself to that guy anymore.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
In a way, Neuvirth is the best option for a team looking to promote their goalie prospects. However, if Stolarz shows that his injury is behind him, it would be reasonable to deal Neuvirth for moon pies and penny whistles in the off-season and to let Stolarz and Lyon fight it out for the back-up job. I doubt Hextall does it, given the massive goaliecide we have been living through, and that the club should be seriously competing for some playoff success next season. Starting 2018-19 with the victor of Stolarz and Lyon backing up Elliott, and the lesser in tandem with Hart in the AHL would be great. I guess there would even be an opportunity, and some precedent, to start Hart in the ECHL (I know I'm repeating myself) with Stolarz/Lyon and Tokarski on the Phantoms, and let the season run a bit to make sure there are no big injuries that upset the apple cart.

I'm concerned, though, that Lyon will be seen as having "earned his stripes" with his no-better-option emergency starts this season. Plus, as someone posted, Lyon has that non-flashy reliability cred that we know goes a long way with the FA. While he has settled in from his initial Gumby-like first few games, I have serious doubts he should be in the Flyers' long-term plans.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lyon and Stolarz can both be qualified, so they shouldn’t need to make any long term decisions with them until it comes to the end of camp and they have to settle on a 23 man roster.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Maybe they do something different, and try and waive Neuvirth 1st.

If he gets claimed, oh well. If he doesn't, then we have an NHL level goalie in the AHL ready for a recall if/when injuries occur. Maybe that's a little too ruthless.

Who are we kidding. They will waive Lyon and Stolarz, both will clear, and then we will start Hart in the ECHL until Hextall tries to figure something out which will take till X-Mas.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Maybe they do something different, and try and waive Neuvirth 1st.

If he gets claimed, oh well. If he doesn't, then we have an NHL level goalie in the AHL ready for a recall if/when injuries occur. Maybe that's a little too ruthless.

Who are we kidding. They will waive Lyon and Stolarz, both will clear, and then we will start Hart in the ECHL until Hextall tries to figure something out which will take till X-Mas.

I think Hart is playing tougher competition than the ECHL right now. I'd be shocked if Hart wasn't in the AHL.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
ECHL teams would destroy junior teams. They're made up of men who would just physically dominate teenagers
Because as we know, if you're stronger than your opponent, you are immediately better at hockey.

Regardless of if a Junior players could win vs almost the bottom of the barrel "pro" players, I'd still be incredibly surprised if Hart wasted any time in the ECHL

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
quick started out in reading i think. as long as hart ends up being great i don't care where he starts his pro career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad