Proposal: Pettersson to Buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Lol I get Sabres fans don’t want to trade cozens but maybe stop acting like idiots. Petterson is a 1c. 15 games doesn’t change that.
Except Pettersson has looked rather pedestrian since his injury last season.

If he looked anything like he did his first two seasons in the past year, this thread would not be a thing.

Pettersson playing at the top of his game is worth a fair amount more than this proposal, but there seems to be some risk with him right now, and I am not sure anyone knows what is going on with his game.

Trading for him now would definitely be buying low, and could be a steal, but if he doesn't bounce back, it could go the other way, so I understand some fans reservations.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Except Pettersson has looked rather pedestrian since his injury last season.

If he looked anything like he did his first two seasons in the past year, this thread would not be a thing.

Pettersson playing at the top of his game is worth a fair amount more than this proposal, but there seems to be some risk with him right now, and I am not sure anyone knows what is going on with his game.

Trading for him now would definitely be buying low, and could be a steal, but if he doesn't bounce back, it could go the other way, so I understand some fans reservations.

Thats fair. There’s no reason for Van to trade him at his lowest point for reduced value though. Every “buy low” offer will be met with the same reaction by fans, and rightfully so.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Krebs? Quinn?

Goes to show my excitement with our prospect pool if I'm still not interested. No offense to you or your great player in this discussion. Quinn is on fire and Krebs and Cozens are like our new version of Drury and briere despite differing skill sets. I wouldn't even wanna move peterka or samulesson right now. I don't see the trade here unless its around florida and vegas 1st and Johnson etc. I'd part with Rosen if asked.

I'm just excited for a lot of our guys bad time to trade them and frankly bad decision for yall to even consider moving pettersson. Cheers!

member 334057

Personally I'm not at all opposed to trading quantity for quality. I'd be more concerned about making sure a player the Sabres trade for wants to be a part of what's being built. They seem to have finally turned things around in the locker room, and with some comments Pettersson made in the off-season would be concerned with his desire to play on the team knowing it will be a few years before they are pushing for the play-offs. Not at all questioning his ability or that he's a better player than Cozens, Tuch etc.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Goes to show my excitement with our prospect pool if I'm still not interested. No offense to you or your great player in this discussion. Quinn is on fire and Krebs and Cozens are like our new version of Drury and briere despite differing skill sets. I wouldn't even wanna move peterka or samulesson right now. I don't see the trade here unless its around florida and vegas 1st and Johnson etc. I'd part with Rosen if asked.

I'm just excited for a lot of our guys bad time to trade them and frankly bad decision for yall to even consider moving pettersson. Cheers!

Yup, if we can't get one of these players, there isn't really much to discuss then. All the best, entry cousin.

Reactions: DJN21

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Value is definitely there. From a fan stand point, I need some time recouperating from the last 6-7 months before getting into another relationship.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Seems like there isn't much upside for Buffalo here.

Oh c'mon. Like we know for sure that Pettersson won't return to being an elite player?

If he goes back to being a 1C then this is still a steal for Buffalo. I don't know if I'd take the risk, but there's serious upside there.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Oh c'mon. Like we know for sure that Pettersson won't return to being an elite player?

If he goes back to being a 1C then this is still a steal for Buffalo. I don't know if I'd take the risk, but there's serious upside there.
Well I'm sure they hope Cozens will be a 1C as well. If Pettersson is just a 1C is it really worth getting older, more expensive and giving up solid assets to do so?

Pettersson would need to be an upper echelon 1C to make this a big win for Buffalo. Who sees that happening with the way he is playing right now?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well I'm sure they hope Cozens will be a 1C as well. If Pettersson is just a 1C is it really worth getting older, more expensive and giving up solid assets to do so?

I don't think Cozens has the skillset for that. He's an opportunist not a real elite creator. And yeah the difference between a good center and a great one is worth more than Tuch and a late 1st.

Pettersson would need to be an upper echelon 1C to make this a big win for Buffalo. Who sees that happening with the way he is playing right now?

I don't know what the future holds. But for all we know a fresh attitude and a good summer in the gym is all Pettersson needs. You can't say he doesn't have the physical and mental tools to play at an elite level, the fact that he's already done it is a mark in his favor.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
Lol when the only defence for a player is but he’s played nhl games at a young age.

is there anything else? Brandon sutter played at a young age and against good comp too, look how he turned out.

there needs to be more of a reason besides he’s played 56 games is 20 years old and has played against top players and in your opinion, did pretty good against them. Something which was never measured in any quantifiable way on how he did good against them either
Well he has 8 points so far compared to pettersons 9 and has looked better on a worde team being a positive impact player at this moment he has been netter than elias

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don't think Cozens has the skillset for that. He's an opportunist not a real elite creator. And yeah the difference between a good center and a great one is worth more than Tuch and a late 1st.

I don't know what the future holds. But for all we know a fresh attitude and a good summer in the gym is all Pettersson needs. You can't say he doesn't have the physical and mental tools to play at an elite level, the fact that he's already done it is a mark in his favor.
I get your point, I do. But is EP someone you’d want Columbus to be moving Kent Johnson + Laine + a 3rd for?

Yes I know it’s not a direct comparable but the point is Buffalo is moving some assets they value extremely highly for a large question mark.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I get your point, I do. But is EP someone you’d want Columbus to be moving Kent Johnson + Laine + a 3rd for?

Yes I know it’s not a direct comparable but the point is Buffalo is moving some assets they value extremely highly for a large question mark.

I didn't say I would make the trade from Buffalo's perspective, I'm objecting to your statement that there's no upside for them in it. There's a chance that they win big time with it.

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Replace Cozens with Mittlestadt and Tuch with Miller or Joker and id do it. Cozens and Tuch aren't going anywhere, Cozens is our future captain and they just finished Tuch's media run about his Sabres pajamas, hes definitely not going anywhere.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Well he has 8 points so far compared to pettersons 9 and has looked better on a worde team being a positive impact player at this moment he has been netter than elias
and Troy Terry has 21 points in 16 games. Does that make him a top 5 forward in the league? Craig Anderson has better stats than Demko, does that make him better?

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Elite #1C are impossible to get, unless you draft them. If Petterson was on the table, Buffalo would be stupid not to try land him, especially with all the assets they've built up. Sure Petterson isn't playing well right now, but the guy has elite talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad