Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
When you're making $11+ million per, you should be able to produce star numbers and carry a line. That's the difference between a $8 million and $11.6 million player.

It doesn't work that way anymore. As the cap rises so do player salaries.

Regardless, Pettersson can carry a line. He just can't do it when both wingers on that line can't do anything. If we had acquired Toffoli; sign Bertuzzi, or whomever in the off season. I doubt Pettersson struggles the way he has even with Hoglander still on the line.

Put Mikheyev and playoff Hoglander on Barkov's line and doubt he looks like a 10M man.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Trolls?

You're not concerned in the least that starting next year the guy that has been an utter disappointment who has had poor body language sulking and getting thrown around like a rag doll in many instances is gonna be making around 50% more than any of Boeser Hughes and Miller the trio that actually shown up and led the charge?

It's not a good look to be a loner superstar holding a team hostage keeping everyone guessing whether you even want to play for them and then take the bag and then proceed to play like you would rather be back in Sweden playing video games or at the Worlds which he expressed was a bigger deal to him than a cup.

It's certainly a conversation to have when maybe the relationship between him this city and Tocchet might get to a point where maybe he's better off somewhere else. Or the goals of the organization are not aligned with their highest paid player?

FFS i've listened to so many dumps on Miller and Boeser and whoever was struggling the last few yrs it's actually laughable for the Petey fan boys to get all defensive and start taking aim at fans who expect Pettersson after they laid out the red carpet to play well and start calling them names.
I wasn't referring to you.

Once again, there is this over emphasis of having the desire to show up or not and that is the ONLY possible reason he is struggling. Can't be injuries, can't be his linemates not doing their job.
we have to have a more nuance convo about what Petey is struggling with rather than NoT EnOuGh EfFoRt. Am i concerned? yeah of course I am but at the same time I don't remember the amount of times anybody passed him the puck in game 3. Karlsson was better than Hog but even then all he did was win some board battles and then passed it back to the D and the D just dumped it back down to continue another meaningless cycle. lets say we ignore the fact he could be injured, his wingers offer ZERO threat right now and the Oilers are more than happy to focus on Petey instead and close off any passing lanes to him and let Mik and Hog do whatever the f*** they do because there is a 99.9% chance nothing will happen from that.

Right now reality is if Petey pass the puck he won't get it back, if he creates a chance for Mik and Hog/Karlsson, nothing will happen because they can't finish and his struggles will continue until we get him better wingers or his wingers improve. I am not sure it is realistic to expect Petey to win all the board battles, pass to nobody because nobody will pass him the puck back and just take the puck and beat everyone and the goalie.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
And Pettersson is doing the heavy lifting on the defensive side of the puck with the players he's saddled with, while also getting the odd scoring chance that he unfortunately hasn't converted on

Yeah, We all want more out of Pettersson, for 11m we want to see a gamebreaking player. However, that's not the role he's deployed in right now with the way the roster is set up. Outchancing the opponents while playing a good defensive game with two subpar wingers is honestly not the worst outcome and is fairly impressive in its own way. Not ideal, but honestly not terrible.
No its not. Thats all he is capable of right now. You dont think the coaches want him scoring or creating opportunities?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
When you're making $11+ million per, you should be able to produce star numbers and carry a line. That's the difference between a $8 million and $11.6 million player.
you can't carry a line if your wingers can't finish any of the chances you create. right now the Oilers don't need to worry about Petey's wingers at all. They are letting Hog/Karlsson/Mik get the puck because it will lead to nothing. Hell Mik had half an open net and he decided to shoot the other side of the net. Until you have someone that is not absolutely useless offensively, the job for the Oilers is easy because all they need to do is focus on not letting Petey get the puck or carry the puck.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
you can't carry a line if your wingers can't finish any of the chances you create. right now the Oilers don't need to worry about Petey's wingers at all. They are letting Hog/Karlsson/Mik get the puck because it will lead to nothing. Hell Mik had half an open net and he decided to shoot the other side of the net. Until you have someone that is not absolutely useless offensively, the job for the Oilers is easy because all they need to do is focus on not letting Petey get the puck or carry the puck.

This is not getting nearly enough emphasis. How often have we seen Pettersson swarmed whenever he gets in the offensive zone. Why is that? Because Edmonton (and Nashville before) are ignoring his linemates. They're risking a set play going to Mikheyev because they don't see him as a threat to score.

Comparatively, look at the attention Boeser, Miller and even Suter garner. Last night is a perfect example why the Oilers can't leave Boeser alone. He lit them up the second they did.

Another factor is, subconsciously, when you know your linemates can't score, you're going to try doing far too much yourself. How many times have we screamed at Pettersson for over passing or committing to a low percent play? That's entirely the result of him having zero faith in his linemates and thinking, "I'll just do it myself."

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I dont think a single soul on earth would say he is doing 'to much' right now

Too much can mean a variety of things. Committing to a board battle he'll likely lose just on the off chance he gets away would count as "too much" for example. Same with the endless passing he's been doing. They may look like nothing but they're all the result of low confident and zero trust Mikheyev or Hoglander can do anything.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Too much can mean a variety of things. Committing to a board battle he'll likely lose just on the off chance he gets away would count as "too much" for example. Same with the endless passing he's been doing. They may look like nothing but they're all the result of low confident and zero trust Mikheyev or Hoglander can do anything.
also doesn't help that our D is pretty panicky in the 3rd and they are not holding and passing the puck and they are instead just rimming it out almost every single instance with the Oilers anticipating that and just waiting at the boards for them. yes Petey should and has to win more of those rim outs when it comes but I really don't see how has anything to do with how he is doing offensively. us having trouble getting out of our own zone when we are leading is a team effort thing sadly.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
This is not getting nearly enough emphasis. How often have we seen Pettersson swarmed whenever he gets in the offensive zone. Why is that? Because Edmonton (and Nashville before) are ignoring his linemates. They're risking a set play going to Mikheyev because they don't see him as a threat to score.

Comparatively, look at the attention Boeser, Miller and even Suter garner. Last night is a perfect example why the Oilers can't leave Boeser alone. He lit them up the second they did.

Another factor is, subconsciously, when you know your linemates can't score, you're going to try doing far too much yourself. How many times have we screamed at Pettersson for over passing or committing to a low percent play? That's entirely the result of him having zero faith in his linemates and thinking, "I'll just do it myself."
yet when you put the lotto line together, the results weren't great either. He just picked a crappy time to have his yearly slump. I believe its kind of like Horvat, he can go completely cold for stretches, its a mental thing. his defensive effort/presence is still good. But thank goodness Lindholm stepped up, as much as I'm usually a glass half full guy, hes been disappointing since late feburary. He should be able to afford a sports psychologist with his new deal, lets see him Mackinnon it up next year.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I don't want to hear any bitching about Pettersson's production until he gets at least one linemate with offensive talent and/or hockey IQ
We had that, but the coach ran him outta town cuz he came to camp with too much of a tan or some shit.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
we literally shut down McD in the 1st game by basically ignoring Janmark and that caused them to load up.

Petey basically has two anchors worse than Janmark on his line.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
What the heck do we do with him? We’re tight in cap space and we have guys who have stepped up who we could lose. Pettersson cap hit is going to mean we lose guys who are stepping up and Pettersson hasn’t done much.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
What the heck do we do with him? We’re tight in cap and we have guys who have stepped up who we could lose. Pettersson cap hit is going to mean we lose guys who are stepping up and Pettersson hasn’t done much.
IMO I would touch base w Montreal and try to take their 1st this year. Then sign Lindholm, Joshua and Z

Reactions: B-rock

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
What the heck do we do with him? We’re tight in cap space and we have guys who have stepped up who we could lose. Pettersson cap hit is going to mean we lose guys who are stepping up and Pettersson hasn’t done much.
get him a winger and develop Lekk to play on this other wing. like i said in other threads, there is no other star player in the league that plays with anchors like Petey does.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I know it’s reactionary, but I can’t help but think of it too. He’s clearly got all the skill in the world, but I don’t find him a likeable player, and for that kind of money you simply have to be impactful. I’d rather a combo like Lindholm and Tkachuk than Pettersson and Toffoli for similar money.
How about... You ask if someone could give you a hug every time you watch Pettersson play, so that way you get your likey likeys from the hug and Petey can do the hockey hockeys?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
You bank on him bouncing back. That's the only real option.

Fans love to trade away elite talents for next to nothing when they are having a bad stretch, it's very funny to watch.

Obviously what is happening is not good but there is not a single player you could get back in a trade that would be as good as EP is when he is playing to his potential, which we have seen for most of his career aside from a couple blips that did eventually resolve themselves.

Again, with the way we're deploying our lines trying to be as strong down the middle as possible relative to weakness on the wings, he's kinda just drawing the short straw and is getting the least offensive support of any player on the roster at 5 on 5. However, he is still contributing excellent defensive results that are part of the team's success.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Just pray he retires.

Nothing else we can do. He is obviously going to be bad foereversies.

Reactions: rypper

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Fans love to trade away elite talents for next to nothing when they are having a bad stretch, it's very funny to watch.

Obviously what is happening is not good but there is not a single player you could get back in a trade that would be as good as EP is when he is playing to his potential, which we have seen for most of his career aside from a couple blips that did eventually resolve themselves.

Again, with the way we're deploying our lines trying to be as strong down the middle as possible relative to weakness on the wings, he's kinda just drawing the short straw and is getting the least offensive support of any player on the roster at 5 on 5. However, he is still contributing excellent defensive results that are part of the team's success.
Its not only about receiving a similar player. Its about getting out of a potentially catastrophic contract.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Its not only about receiving a similar player. Its about getting out of a potentially catastrophic contract.

If we're talking about the balance of probabilities, I would bet against it being catastrophic. Most likely we're going to be getting totally fair market value (PPG with high- enddefensive impacts) from him for the majority of the contract, with a couple years above, and a couple years below which is what you would expect from a contract covering age 26-32 seasons and a history of being at least a PPG player in 5 of 6 seasons.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
If we're talking about the balance of probabilities, I would bet against it being catastrophic. Most likely we're going to be getting totally fair market value (PPG with high- enddefensive impacts) from him for the majority of the contract, with a couple years above, and a couple years below which is what you would expect from a contract covering age 26-32 seasons and a history of being at least a PPG player in 5 of 6 seasons.
I hope youre right or the team is in big trouble.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad