Pettersson or Hughes; who would you pick?

Pettersson or Hughes

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
He's also generating a negative goal differential at ES from soft minutes with our top skill players.

He's been great offensively but is still a work in progress defensively. And yes, his 22 points on the PP are easier to replace at a cheaper price than a #1 center.

This is not criticizing Hughes. At all. Again, to me your #1 center is the most important building block on your team. And as we've seen from Boeser and Pettersson ... sometimes the gleam does come off a bit in years 2-3.
If you are looking at +/-, well, it's a horrible stat to be frank.

Hughes has been very much a positive for the team defensively from an advanced stats standpoint. His net impact on both ends surpasses that of Pettersson so far I believe

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
cup winning teams or perennial contenders with no number one centre:

mid-to-late 80s flyers

mid-to-late 80s bruins

93 habs

95, 2000, 2003 devils

2007 ducks

2011 bruins

ditto but with no number one dman

1988 and 90 oilers

2004 lightning

2006 hurricanes

2017 penguins

not sure what this tells us tbh

Interesting to note that the elite defensemen on the Flyers, Devils, Ducks and 2011 Bruins were all acquired through trade or free agency, and Montreal didn't have a #1, leaving 80s Boston as the lone team whose elite defenseman began his career with the teams in question (and was the lone team that didn't win), whereas the top centers in the second group all started their careers with those teams, unless we count Brind'Amour over Staal.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is a good poll...I picked Hughes because players like him don't come around very often...He's only 20..Imagine what he's going to be like in 3 years?...I picked him over EP because I would say that D is a tougher position to play, and his skillset is unique to any D-man that has ever played for the Canucks...I love both players.

Reactions: Fraser28

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Hughes has been very much a positive for the team defensively from an advanced stats standpoint. His net impact on both ends surpasses that of Pettersson so far I believe

Pettersson has higher net impact

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Way too early to judge either player. They both need to fill out and get stronger as well as go through some tough playoff battles. I love both of them as players but it is the regular season paper tiger discussion right now. It reminds me of people saying Billington was the best goalie etc last year. It's the eternal history vs trend debate on HF Boards...it never changes.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think you have to see what hughes does next year, then you can compare. The sophomore year is often quite different than the freshman. Who knows, maybe he'll just keep on chugging. I definitely think Petey has struggled this year relative to what he showed us the year before - yet he's still an amazing producer at almost a PPG.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
How about bringing this up in another 50+ years? Haha!

At the end of the day, it'll be about longevity. Tyler Myers was once considered a franchise defense man, so was Alex Edler and Dion Phaneuf. Can't judge a player for their first few years. If either players can maintain this level throughout their careers, they would be in the Hall of Fame. Athletes generally have their physical peak until their mid 20's, and then you really have to see how they adapt. It'll be interesting for sure. Aren't glad you have both?

Hughes is clearly the shiny new toy, who seems to have the effortless skating and a calm confidence about him. I think he's overachieving offensively but he hasn't exactly been exposed yet. It'll come eventually but it's been nice that he's always have had confidence since starting in the NHL. You take that away from him, then we might see a completely different player. Winning right now in a winning environment is key here.

Petterson has had an extra year, where teams have figured him out. You also worry about his performance in the second half of the season, as this is twice now he's faded. While, still a great player, because we're not seeing instant improvements from this player who's has sky high expectations, there is cause for concern. Will continue to be criticized until he can prove people wrong. I'm sure people are wondering if it's a genetic endurance issue more than his physical shape.

Who knows, Boeser could get his shot back next year and pot 40, and maybe he'll be in the conversation again.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
A centreman is important to a foundation of the 5 man unit. He is the centrepiece if the forward core. He is usually also suppose to be the the 1st fowars back defensively.

They being said an offensive dman like Hughes, holds more “value” because there are actually less of breed of dman in the league.

look no further then any draft. Lots of Centres available and very few offensive Dmans and even fewer they will become an elite dman.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Went with Hughes no insult to Petterson, he just has the puck so much and makes so many great plays look easy. He is trending towards being a ppg dman while getting hardest match ups. It would now be a disappointment if he does not become best dman in team history.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Close one but I take petey-friend.

Think he needs longer to physically develop and gives him a bit of a higher ceiling, can definitely understand those saying QH tho.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Went with Hughes no insult to Petterson, he just has the puck so much and makes so many great plays look easy. He is trending towards being a ppg dman while getting hardest match ups. It would now be a disappointment if he does not become best dman in team history.

Agreed. I think at this point if he keeps up his play and improves... we will be retiring his jersey by the end of his career.

Never before have I seen such a Defensemen in a Canucks uniform. I still believe that we got out with the best player in the 2018 draft.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Here is a question to stir the pot a bit. How many centers in the league would you trade Petterson 1 for 1 for? How many D would you Trade Hughes 1 for 1 for?

I think there are a handful of Centers that you could swap Petterson for that would not hurt the teams future but not many Defence I would swap Hughes for:dunno:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Here is a question to stir the pot a bit. How many centers in the league would you trade Petterson 1 for 1 for? How many D would you Trade Hughes 1 for 1 for?

I think there are a handful of Centers that you could swap Petterson for that would not hurt the teams future but not many Defence I would swap Hughes for:dunno:

Hughes has his equals in Heiskanen and Makar. I wouldn't trade Hughes for either.

Pettersson has no equals.

We have two of the best ELC players. Unfortunately the rest of the team is severely lacking or we would be doing what the Blackhawks dynasty managed to do with Toews and Kane

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Hughes has his equals in Heiskanen and Makar. I wouldn't trade Hughes for either.

We have two of the best ELC players. Unfortunately the rest of the team is severely lacking or we would be doing what the Blackhawks dynasty managed to do with Toews and Kane
Barkov, Matthews, Eichel?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Wow. Really tight race. I value elite #1 C over elite #1 D. So all else being equal, I pick Petey,.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I voted for Pettersson mainly because of a bias for the centre position. But it wouldn't take much for me to switch my vote to Hughes at this point.

It's just nice that this is not an actual choice the Canucks have to make.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Hughes right now, Pettersson once his frame fills out more. Pettersson can look average to poor for most the game but still gets a goal or assist. Once he gets stronger I think he gets into that elite C 100+ point category who dominates shifts more often. Hughes looks great most of the time he has the puck, the way he holds the puck in the zone is amazing to watch. At his size and his age it’s super impressive, glad we have both

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Makar, Heiskanen, Dalin are a sideways step. Petterson I love and want him to lift the cup with Van but he is not as good as you say

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Pettersson has higher net impact

Agreed. Was looking at the Canucks advanced stats and Pettersson is incredible. Such a smart and effective player.

Plus/Minus
Pettersson +16
Miller +13
Tanev +7
Edler +7
(Hughes -1)

CF%
Pettersson 55.6
Miller 54.6
Boeser 52.9

GF/60
Pettersson 4.2