Value of: Pettersson for Dahlin 1/1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
You have to admit though when players like Makar, Heiskenin, Fox, Seider and Hughes entered the NHL, Dahlin will always be compared to them. Maybe Dahlin playing in AHL and developing more or playing more in SHL was a better idea for his development versus bringing him to NHL at age of 18. Think about that and his developmental trajectory.
Considering his NHL production has always been very good it looks fine to me if you think playing in a lesser league and dominating is learning the best thing is to learn in the NHL you don't rush guys to the NHL that would crush their confidence not guys who can produce at an above average level in the big leagues. Also Seider has 25 games in the NHL what has he proven over Dahlin?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
You have to admit though when players like Makar, Heiskenin, Fox, Seider and Hughes entered the NHL, Dahlin will always be compared to them. Maybe Dahlin playing in AHL and developing more or playing more in SHL was a better idea for his development versus bringing him to NHL at age of 18. Think about that and his developmental trajectory.
I mean none of what you said is any sort of indictment on Dahlin or his trajectory. He may have benefited from more development time overseas or in Rochester. For the most part he's looked quite good in his time in Buffalo. His "bad" play as a Sabre has largely aligned with the Ralph Kreuger era (big shocker). Under Granato it's been a lot more good than bad and the flashes of elite play come every game. Are his stats going to pop off the page playing on this Sabres squad? Probably not.
You can also attempt to compare him to other young defenseman. Just make sure you use some context. Compare players at similar ages and look at the quality of the teams these players are joining. Heiskanen is 22 and is now breaking out, Makar broke out at 21 on a very talented Colorado squad, Fox was 22 when he broke out last season, Seider looks great, but has 20 some NHL games under his belt.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Pettersson is broken right now. There is something wrong with his wrist and it's been a problem since his injury last year.

Watching him since, he really is a shell of what he was. He doesn't shoot like he used to, and his passing and stick handling seem to be affected as well.

He has it taped every game, and it is obvious it is limiting him. Now wether or not it is a condition that will eventually heal or not is the point of concern.

Dahlin is still extremely young, especially for a defenseman playing 24 minutes a night. He shouldn't be put in the position that he is, but Adams and Grantato are trying their best to break him the way only Buffalo can with young players.

All that said, no way I'd trade Dahlin for Pettersson right now, because I am confident Dahlin will be better with less minutes and more support, whereas I am not certain Pettersson will fully recover.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Both 2017 draft picks.

Both are struggling heavily this season (albeit, Pettersson has shown a far higher ceiling thus far).

Both really seem to need a change of scenery.

I've been wrong before, but this might actually not be as crazy as it sounds.

Dahlin has more points than Pettersson. As a defenseman on a team whose best forward is maybe (?) Victor Olofsson. They're not in the same universe of "struggling." I'd even go as far as saying that only one of the two is actually struggling.

This is exactly as crazy as it sounds. Not a chance.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
How an earth Buffalo says no? Dahlin is biggest upset since Yakupov. Petterson is amazing player and is struggling now but Dahlin is fully circus only tent is missing over him

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Owen Power works out then this could technically improve the Sabres with Eichel gone I suppose, but if he doesn't pan out then their backend is horrific for years to come. If I'm them I just build off Dahlin and Power and find your own center. I wouldn't be concerned about Dahlin, his offensive game is fine and he will figure out the defensive side of things eventually I'd imagine.

But, if Pettersson is struggling in Vancouver, imagine how bad he'd be in Buffalo with minimal offensive support?

As for Vancouver, Dahlin wouldn't improve that team. He's not the missing piece there. Losing Pettersson would hurt even if he's struggling. Doubt either team would make this move

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Wouldn’t touch Dahlin, guy is extremely overrated. We already have Hughes and OEL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How an earth Buffalo says no? Dahlin is biggest upset since Yakupov. Petterson is amazing player and is struggling now but Dahlin is fully circus only tent is missing over him

Warn somebody before you offer up that amount of hyperbole. It’ll let me know that I need a snorkel to read the rest of the post through the giant steaming pile of horse shit that was offered.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
lol rare that you see "___ takes this and runs" and "There is no way ____ does this" for both sides within the first page. Trade must be closer than i thought.

personally I think Dahlin is worth more, if only for the reason that D usually take longer to hit their full stride and he is only 21.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The Sabres have certainly made some mistakes in their prolonged rebuild, but this feels like doubling down on a bad move. If you were moving him from a position of strength, sure, but I see holes everywhere.

You have Dahlin and Power anchoring the left side of your top 2 D pairs. Build around that.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

This is one of those comments where it's not only clear that you've never watched the player you're talking about but that you couldn't even be bothered to f***ing google him and see his stats. Yikes.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Neutral observer, the No is from Buffalo.
if Pettersson regains and improves on his first 2 seasons he's a 30-40 player which is very solid, but not elite.
Dahlin is still trending to being an Elite #1 D and if he didnt play in Buffalo, its possible he'd already have reached that potential.
...these are 2 teams that just havent played up to their potential/expectation and Vancouver is still a very good team 'on paper'

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
for Dahlin's trajectory and potential i'd look at and compare him to Hedman, and Dahlin's numbers are a bit ahead of where Hedman's were, and some D-men need 4-5-6 seasons before they come to dominate.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
lol rare that you see "___ takes this and runs" and "There is no way ____ does this" for both sides within the first page. Trade must be closer than i thought.

personally I think Dahlin is worth more, if only for the reason that D usually take longer to hit their full stride and he is only 21.

It’s not rare at all to see that on hf and make no mistake, those few posters are saying one thing in text and another in their actual brain.

Value aside Sabres already have 4 players that project as 2C (Cozens, Mitts, Quinn, Krebs) maybe one surprises and becomes a solid 1C. Hell even Tage Thompson is having a coming out party as C this year. As well as the 3 lotto tickets we have in the first round this year. Taking on Pettersson is not an interesting proposition for Buffalo.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm a bigger fan of EP than most and see more flaws in Dahlin than most. I wouldn't do this deal if I was Vancouver. You don't need 2 PP QBs who can't play defense.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The Sabres have certainly made some mistakes in their prolonged rebuild, but this feels like doubling down on a bad move. If you were moving him from a position of strength, sure, but I see holes everywhere.

You have Dahlin and Power anchoring the left side of your top 2 D pairs. Build around that.

This is the correct move. We have quite a stable of young D: Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Johnson, Jokiharju, Bryson. Let Dahlin anchor one pair (though I have this hunch he's moving to the right side) and let Power anchor another.

Let's see what happens when our forwards actually learn how to defend in their zone and we get a capable goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad