WC: Petri Vehanen's amazing save on Evgeni Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Mertaranta (announcer) was so out of it I also though it was a goal until the replay and when I saw it I was just amazed. A great save and lucky that Malkin didn't get any air on it.

Snoil11

Aug 30, 2006
Germany
Most people in attendance did not even realize this was not a goal. Even Kovalchuk skated to Malkin to celebrate with him and the arena-DJ played the Russian goal-song until people saw Malkin stunned and not celebrating. Awesome save by Vehanen who has played a pretty good tournament so far.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
am i the only one who is not really that impressed? i mean yeah good save, but wow Malkin should of buried that

I'm with you. This kind of save is pure luck. That was the absolute furthest his glove could have gone, Malkin had oodles of empty net to shoot at and he tossed it right in to his glove.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I'm with you. This kind of save is pure luck. That was the absolute furthest his glove could have gone, Malkin had oodles of empty net to shoot at and he tossed it right in to his glove.

Every "amazing save" has some sort of lucky involved, THATS WHY ITS AMAZING.

People who want to take credit away because "they should have scored that" is in denial.

FANTASTIC save. (and im russian i still admit it!)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Every "amazing save" has some sort of lucky involved, THATS WHY ITS AMAZING.

People who want to take credit away because "they should have scored that" is in denial.

FANTASTIC save. (and im russian i still admit it!)

****, im a goalie..... half the time a save is being in the right place.

who knows what goes through someones head while blocking a puck and reacting to the flow of the game.

nice save for sure.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
am i the only one who is not really that impressed? i mean yeah good save, but wow Malkin should of buried that

Stop complaining, it was an awesome save.

I was watching the game in a bar and it went totally silent as people thought it was a goal. I started celebrating at the top of my lungs when I saw Malkin's reaction and concluded that it was not a goal. People were about to lynch me, thinking I was supporting Russia, until the save was showed on the replay.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
What does that mean?

Hard/heavy/severe. What he's saying is "these are some heavy, heavy, heavy things when we start to attack and lose the puck." He's worried about the young Finnish D-man Vatanen (#44) who's very offence-minded and whose play often results in odd-man-rushes for the opponent.

FinnGoalie

Jul 24, 2007

So, you conclude that there's never amazing saves, right?

If there is a save that makes you impressed, however, what kind of save is that? Could you show me an example? There's always empty net, where to shoot, always. If the goalie takes all the space from the initial shot, you can pass and thus create empty space (just what Russians did here). If the goalie just plays square to the shooter (pretty basic stuff in goaltending) and stands still, that makes you impressed?

In this case, if Vehanen had stayed square to Malkin after he passed to Kovalchuck, that would have been impressive stubborness.

I mean, your comment is pretty irrelevant when fans here are just amazed with Vehanen's recovery save.

Think of it, every shot that goes INTO the glove, are essentially shot "right into the glove". No?
People often argue that "well, he didn't have to move his glove much"... Wouldn't that be just what you're looking for, though?

The shooter SHOULD always bury the shot if there's net available. Of course. That would make up 100 shooting %. But they don't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad