WC: Petri Vehanen's amazing save on Evgeni Malkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grove

Mar 19, 2007
So, Mertaranta is the only hockey commentator in the world that doesn't need a colour commentator?
Pretty much, yeah. I'm almost sure it's on Mertaranta's contract or something, by his own wish of course.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
So, Mertaranta is the only hockey commentator in the world that doesn't need a colour commentator? Or is Finnish TV just that cheap? ;)

I believe it's mostly an ego question. If he had a hockey expert (Kekäläinen for instance) by his side, that expert would have to correct his ridicilous interpretations of the game all the time. For instance, when Kovalchuk's cross-check was shown on replay yesterday, this is what Mertaranta saw: "LOOK AT THAT. KOVALCHUK SLASHES HIETANEN STRAIGHT TO THE HEAD."

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I believe it's mostly an ego question. If he had a hockey expert (Kekäläinen for instance) by his side, that expert would have to correct his ridicilous interpretations of the game all the time. For instance, when Kovalchuk's cross-check was shown on replay yesterday, this is what Mertaranta saw: "LOOK AT THAT. KOVALCHUK SLASHES HIETANEN STRAIGHT TO THE HEAD."

"...WHY IS IT THAT THE NORTH AMERICANS HAS TO PLAY HOCKEY SO ROUGH AND TOUGH!"

What has a Russian cross checking a Finn to do with North America and the kind of hockey they play? Mertaranta was really embarrassing last night with the gross exaggerations.

Last edited:

eNTe17

Dec 16, 2009
Oslo, Norway
That was not a huge save more than it was a ****** attempt at the goal, im sure any hockeyplayer would put that 9 out of 10 times. True story.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Vehanen has made a couple of saves close to that one.

He is as good or better than Rinne. Two very good NHL level goaltenders. I'd love to see a guy like Vehanen given the chance in the NHL. Like many finnish goaltenders he always has a way to recover extremely quickly from a save due to the finnish rink sizes. Made for the NHL.

FinnGoalie

Jul 24, 2007
That was not a huge save more than it was a ****** attempt at the goal, im sure any hockeyplayer would put that 9 out of 10 times. True story.

Please, show me a huge save and explain why it was "huge". Thanks.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

That what separates great highlight-reel saves from regular saves.

Just like the save Varlamov made on Crosby last year. Put Crosby in the same situation again and he scores 99 out of 100 times. This is why it was so incredible save.

Dr Despair

Mar 22, 2009

I don't understand this logic. Why do some people think that we only saw one of the two; 1) a blown chance by Malkin or 2) a great save from Vehanen, when in reality we saw both.

1) Had Malkin gotten the puck just 30 cm off the ice surface, it would have been a certrain goal, which no one, Chuck Norris and MacGyver included, could have stopped. So yes, Malkin blew his chance.

2) Nevertheless, the shot Malkin did produce (a fast one-timer less than a meter from goal, goalie moving sideways) required the goalie to make an outstanding save in order to deny the goal. Vehanen was able to make that save.

We saw both. QED

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
1) Had Malkin gotten the puck just 30 cm off the ice surface, it would have been a certrain goal, which no one, Chuck Norris and MacGyver included, could have stopped. So yes, Malkin blew his chance.

Pasi Nurminen could very well have saved that kind of shot. He made a career of saving those impossible, high quality shots.

Dr Despair

Mar 22, 2009
Pasi Nurminen could very well have saved that kind of shot. He made a career of saving those impossible, high quality shots.

Be that as it may, the point of my post doesn't change. A brilliant save was needed for that shot, even though the shot wasn't perfect.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Based on the complete lack of emotion I can only assume the guy calling the play is a robot.

Dr Despair

Mar 22, 2009
Based on the complete lack of emotion I can only assume the guy calling the play is a robot.

Couldn't have put it any better myself, the guy is an embarrassment in that sense. :shakehead Here's a clip from him, try not to fall asleep.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
What a save that was!

And for those who thinks its not a good save because bad shot, ofcourse that needs some luck to make that kind of desperation save, but it allways seems like the best goalies make them again, and again.. They got the touch. Like Luongo, Kiprusoff, Hasek (and many other very good goalies), Vehanen is definedly supergoalie-talent too for me after this amazing season of hes. Ofcourse no one here understands comparing KHL goalie to NHL goalie, but i'd say hes totally NHL talent goalie in KHL. Im not saying ofcourse hes as great as hasek (lol) but he has that same talent to make the impossible still possible.

I play some hockey myself, (never gonna be a pro :P ), and I know malkin is like from another planet, no another galaxy, no another space but I still feel that malkin was like "okay and now just fast shot so he cant recover" and he really didint expect he should aim anymore, in that point, he prolly just were looking at puck and thinking "just dont miss the net he cant save it". Or in other words he wasnt thinking anymore because he tought he doesnt haveto look where he puts it, or think anything anymore, when Vehanen was that much outplayed.

What ever, I think these crazy saves, that allways need some luck ofcourse, are the best saves, why they are amazing. Its like it shoulndt even be possible. What saves are cooler than these? Basic saves with good positioning on a blueline shot when masked? Everyone likes what they like..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad