Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I think we're going to be waiting till rye gets back and gets a couple practices in before they trade a goalie
Why? They already have 3. When Rye is back there’s 4. They don’t need to wait.

I am starting to think there may not be much of a market for an OA goalie. Which contending team has OA room and needs a goalie?

Reactions: Section5Petes

Ryan Christensen

Mar 8, 2019
Rye got hurt in a camp scrimmage he's weeks away

Johnston has been very shaky in preseason . So what I'm saying is they have too find out what they have in rye and bowen before they trade sztuska

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Am I right in thinking last year the Petes traded Michael Simpson before the start of the season to not use a player card on him?

I do think Sztuska gives the Petes the best chance to win but next few days will be interesting.

I guess they need to find a home for the guy who was the worst goalie in training camp and then put up a 7.67 GAA and .839 save percentage in exhibition games as well because he's tight with Andrew Verner

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
The bottom line is, they have four days and four goalies and four overagers. Obviously Johnston isn't an OHL goalie, so he'll be reassigned but who are you asking to sit amongst Melee, Lefebvre, McIntyre and Sztuska?

Sztuska is your best goalie. Melee is not a scratch under any circumstances. I honestly have no idea what the answer is, aside from not Melee.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Am I right in thinking last year the Petes traded Michael Simpson before the start of the season to not use a player card on him?

I do think Sztuska gives the Petes the best chance to win but next few days will be interesting.

I guess they need to find a home for the guy who was the worst goalie in training camp and then put up a 7.67 GAA and .839 save percentage in exhibition games as well because he's tight with Andrew Verner

The bottom line is, they have four days and four goalies and four overagers. Obviously Johnston isn't an OHL goalie, so he'll be reassigned but who are you asking to sit amongst Melee, Lefebvre, McIntyre and Sztuska?

Sztuska is your best goalie. Melee is not a scratch under any circumstances. I honestly have no idea what the answer is, aside from not Melee.

You are correct Peterborough traded Michael Simpson prior to the start of the season. I am not sure if it was card related or it was to cut down on the number of overages.

I am not sure who the Petes are going to go with as their starting goaltender. Zach Bowen had a good game against Guelph but is he the best option as the number one? They may decide to keep Liam Sztuska and trade Bowen. Which means one of the overage forwards would have to be traded. I fully expect they will go with Easton Rye as the backup, as Masen Johnston is not ready and Zach Bowen wants to be a starting goaltender. Johnston will likely be sent to Junior A to get playing. He still may become a good OHL goaltender. Liam Sztuska did not have a great first season but became a quality OHL goaltender.

In regard to the overages. If they choose to keep Liam Sztuska I think they will keep Chase Lefebvre and Jonathan Melee. Lefebvre appears to be ready for a breakout season after scoring 6 goals and getting 1 assist in 3 exhibition games and Melee is the team captain. The best scenario would be if Zach Bowen could take the starting position and allow them to keep all three overage forwards. However they likely can delay a decision on the overagers because Lefevbre, to my knowledge has not yet been sent back from the Detroit Red Wing’s training camp.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Lefebvre has been reassigned to the Petes. They have to decide by Thursday what the opening night lineup looks like.

3 of Melee, Lefebvre, McIntyre, Sztuska

2 of Sztuska, Bowen, Rye (injured), Johnston (nope)

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
It’s pretty easy any back to back game I would assume Sztuska will be scratched so that’s easy but for the first game I imagine Mcyintre will be the odd man out and then Friday they’ll start Bowen and rye or Johnston will back him up

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Lefebvre has been reassigned to the Petes. They have to decide by Thursday what the opening night lineup looks like.

3 of Melee, Lefebvre, McIntyre, Sztuska

2 of Sztuska, Bowen, Rye (injured), Johnston (nope)
I did not know that Chase Lefebvre was returned to the Peterborough. I not sure the Petes have to make a decision on the overages this week. While not desirable they can keep all four for a short period. They may already know what they are going to do and we may see a trade this week. I cannot see them trading Lefebvre or Jonathan Melee as they are their top two overage forwards. The third spot is between Ryder McIntyre and Liam Sztuska. I think the key to their success for the team is goaltending so Sztuska may be the best option but it will be sad to see MacIntyre traded as he worked all off season to be a Peterborough Pete this coming season. In regards to the roster as a whole the Petes likely keep the 14 forwards on the roster (other than possibly trading an overage). They also need to trade or reassign one defenceman. Also will they make any further additions to the lineup?

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
can i ask a dumb question?

if johnston isnt ready to be an ohl goalie, what was the rush to sign him?
They shouldn't have. Or (maybe more likely) were committed to it before actually seeing him this fall. A truly baffling decision. He was the worst goalie in camp this year.

It seems like playing U18 in Peterborough last year was a leg up to being on the roster this year (though I do believe Johnston was very good there last year, he just hasn't shown that so far this year).

Last edited:

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

That's a good question. I agree that you can't really sit Sztuska or Melee. In some ways Mcintyre would be the obvious scratch, but I really liked how he played the second half of last season and think he could play an important role on the team this year. They're going to have to figure something out. I assume they'll wait a couple of weeks before they decide. They're in a bit of a mess right now, thanks to the injury situation.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
That's a good question. I agree that you can't really sit Sztuska or Melee. In some ways Mcintyre would be the obvious scratch, but I really liked how he played the second half of last season and think he could play an important role on the team this year. They're going to have to figure something out. I assume they'll wait a couple of weeks before they decide. They're in a bit of a mess right now, thanks to the injury situation.
Yeah, McIntyre had 10-7-17 in the last 16 games. Sztuska was team MVP last year. Lefebvre had 6 goals in three preseason games before going to NHL camp. Melee is the captain and historically best offensive player of the group. It's not really fair to any of them to sit.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
They shouldn't have. Or (maybe more likely) were committed to it before actually seeing him this fall. A truly baffling decision. He was the worst goalie in camp this year.

It seems like playing U18 in Peterborough last year was a leg up to being on the roster this year (though I do believe Johnston was very good there last year, he just hasn't shown that so far this year).

it hasnt been in the past though right? the u18 team doesnt have a ton of ohl alumni? why has that changed all of a sudden.

signing someone like johnston is a 10k a year commitment , maybe its just me and im a cheep old bastard, but id rather not throw 10k to guys like leek, johntson and all these guys and bank it up for more impactful players.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
it hasnt been in the past though right? the u18 team doesnt have a ton of ohl alumni? why has that changed all of a sudden.

signing someone like johnston is a 10k a year commitment , maybe its just me and im a cheep old bastard, but id rather not throw 10k to guys like leek, johntson and all these guys and bank it up for more impactful players.
It's been a thing the past few years. McCue, Page, Rye, Woulds, Partridge, Marentette, Johnston.

They even mention it in their signings now:

“Thanasi is a big, strong defenceman who is solid in his own end,” noted Oke. “We had a chance to watch him a lot last season as he developed with the Petes U18s, working out and practicing with the OHL team regularly. This is another good example of how our relationship with the U18 Petes provides players with a development model and pathway to the OHL.”

“It feels amazing,” commented Marrentette. “Being with the U18s last season gave me a great opportunity to learn about what it takes to be an OHL player. I can’t wait to get started.”

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It's been a thing the past few years. McCue, Page, Rye, Woulds, Partridge, Marentette, Johnston.

They even mention it in their signings now:

“Thanasi is a big, strong defenceman who is solid in his own end,” noted Oke. “We had a chance to watch him a lot last season as he developed with the Petes U18s, working out and practicing with the OHL team regularly. This is another good example of how our relationship with the U18 Petes provides players with a development model and pathway to the OHL.”

“It feels amazing,” commented Marrentette. “Being with the U18s last season gave me a great opportunity to learn about what it takes to be an OHL player. I can’t wait to get started.”

sorry, i guess i mean impactful. i remember having this debate a year who with someone who said it was a great program.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
sorry, i guess i mean impactful. i remember having this debate a year who with someone who said it was a great program.
It makes sense in theory to have the players close and practice and develop with the team, until it leads to predetermined roster commitments which kind of undermine the spirit of a competitive training camp, if that's what happened here...

That said, I'm not sure if many of the 2024 draftees are playing for Peterborough U18 AAA this year, Luis Sturgeon may be the only one.

HabsPetes119

Sep 22, 2024
Yeah, McIntyre had 10-7-17 in the last 16 games. Sztuska was team MVP last year. Lefebvre had 6 goals in three preseason games before going to NHL camp. Melee is the captain and historically best offensive player of the group. It's not really fair to any of them to sit.
I still think it is inevitable Sztuska will be gone. Only reason to keep him would be if we were supposed to be near top which we aren't. Bowen needs the chance to grow he showed some promise before the injuries last year. Just trade Sztuska now out of respect for him and the team and don't let it get confusing like last year. If we wait until a few games Sztuska likely steals one for us and there will only be more questions than answers.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It makes sense in theory to have the players close and practice and develop with the team, until it leads to predetermined roster commitments which kind of undermine the spirit of a competitive training camp, if that's what happened here...

That said, I'm not sure if many of the 2024 draftees are playing for Peterborough U18 AAA this year, Luis Sturgeon may be the only one.

it makes sense sure but at the end of the day are those players better then if they played jr b? i bet not.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Even if they want to trade Sztuska, I don't think there's anyone in need of an OA/goalie at the moment.

You've also got Ottawa, Kitchener and SSM all potentially trying to move an OA goalie as well without finding any takers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad