Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Pretty quiet in here. I'm looking forward to the season but to be honest kind of bummed that they're running back the same roster + Fitzgerald and Jenken and minus Purdeller + Gauvreau.

I still think Lee-Stack and Turcotte could have brought something different to this roster and it really seems like they weren't kept because they didn't play U18 Petes last year, while Johnston, Marentette did and then they literally just signed the highest picked players who reported.

It all felt very old school political motivated decisions throughout training camp which sucks but I'm sure the excitement will pick up when the season starts and I can't wait for opening night.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Pretty quiet in here. I'm looking forward to the season but to be honest kind of bummed that they're running back the same roster + Fitzgerald and Jenken and minus Purdeller + Gauvreau.

I still think Lee-Stack and Turcotte could have brought something different to this roster and it really seems like they weren't kept because they didn't play U18 Petes last year, while Johnston, Marentette did and then they literally just signed the highest picked players who reported.

It all felt very old school political motivated decisions throughout training camp which sucks but I'm sure the excitement will pick up when the season starts and I can't wait for opening night.
In regards to Dylan Turcottte and Dylan Lee-Stack. Were they cut or did they decline to sign with the Petes? It has not been reported what happened to them. I am seeing some positives from the preseason. Chase Lefebvre looks like he could break out offensively. He has 6 goals and 1 for 7 points in 3 exhibition games. You add in the expected offence from Brayden McCallum Caden Taylor, Jonathan Melee and Colin Fitzgerald along with the fact that Aiden Young has 4 points in 3 games in the preseason games. The Petes will likely be improved offensively from the second half of last year. The defence is a year older and six of the defenceman have at least a year’s experience in the league. The biggest question is in goal. That area has been a bit disappointing in the preseason. Do the Petes keep Liam Sztuska or go with Zach Bowen as their number one? Also who will be the back up? If they keep Sztuska which overage is traded? I would think they would likely keep Lefebvre and Melee and trade Ryder MacIntyre. I think we see an improved team over the one from after the trade deadline last season. Their goal is to make the playoffs and with both North Bay and Ottawa likely both going into rebuilds it is a possibility. They will likely not be a competitive team until 2025-2026 with an eye to likely contending in 2026-2027.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Do the Petes keep Liam Sztuska or go with Zach Bowen as their number one?
Gotta go Bowen, year younger and will be back the following season. Sztuska will get a good pick package and Bowen is ready to be a starting goalie.
Also who will be the back up? If they keep Sztuska which overage is traded?
Probably melee would be my guess. He would get the most value out of the 3 OA forwards there. Followed by macintyre, then lefebvre but after this pre season who knows between those 2.

Don’t think you’d get much if anything more than a mid round pick for either of those 2 and melee could probably fetch a 3 and a 5
would think they would likely keep Lefebvre and Melee and trade Ryder MacIntyre. I think we see an improved team over the one from after the trade deadline last season. Their goal is to make the playoffs and with both North Bay and Ottawa likely both going into rebuilds it is a possibility.
I think you guys sneak in as the 8th spot personally but on the OHL tiers list I believe some had you missing.
They will likely not be a competitive team until 2025-2026 with an eye to likely contending in 2026-2027
Agree. Shame you guys don’t have a new arena because I think you’ll be among the best in the O’ for that memorial cup year.

Any idea if they’re ever going to build a new one?

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Gotta go Bowen, year younger and will be back the following season. Sztuska will get a good pick package and Bowen is ready to be a starting goalie.

Probably melee would be my guess. He would get the most value out of the 3 OA forwards there. Followed by macintyre, then lefebvre but after this pre season who knows between those 2.

Don’t think you’d get much if anything more than a mid round pick for either of those 2 and melee could probably fetch a 3 and a 5

I think you guys sneak in as the 8th spot personally but on the OHL tiers list I believe some had you missing.

Agree. Shame you guys don’t have a new arena because I think you’ll be among the best in the O’ for that memorial cup year.

Any idea if they’re ever going to build a new one?
I am not sure what is going to happen in goal. My hope is that Zach Bowen can be the starter but he has not had a great record in the exhibition games to date. The ideal situation is for Bowen to be able to the number one goaltender which will allow them to trade Liam Sztuska and keep all of Chase Lefebvre, Ryder MacIntyre and Jonathan Melee. It will not be an easy decision to trade any of the four overages as all four really want to play for Peterborough this year and have worked hard towards that goal.

If the Petes feel they need to keep Sztuska I think they will keep who they believe are the two best overage forwards not trade the one they can get the best return on. In my opinion they will keep both Lefebvre and Melee. I don’t think the return this year is as important as having the players they believe will help them the most this season particularly with helping to develop the younger players. Last year they needed to trade players to recoup draft picks. They mostly achieved that with the deals they made last season. They will likely entertain offers that will provide them with assets for the next two years but they don’t have to make those trades like they did last year.

I regards to the playoffs they are going to have to fight to make the playoffs but they have a chance with a few teams likely going into rebuild mode.

Getting a new arena in Peterborough is a priority of our Mayor and council however with the other challenges our city has it may be a decade away from happening.

Last edited:

dangerousjd

May 2, 2010
lmao who knows if they will ever get a new arena...10 percent tax increase for what? pothole city, waiting on parkhill to finish 2 years later? as a boy i had the privledge of my father getting season tickets and bringing me to the games...The Dick Todd Mike Ricci era was a wonderful time and a proud time to be a petes fan. Remember the Oshawa Generals rivalries fondly and making fun of their area....i heard rumours Randy Macho man savage bumped his head when jumping off the turnbuckle when WWF came to town ...LOL
the proudness of knowing the Petes sent the most players to the NHL then any other Junior team.....the legacy has took a hit....people in the board room who shouldnt have been in the board room...I was pulling for them to sell the team to Greg Millen and company.
always have said Mike Oake has a dream job, zero accountability....where else nowadays do you get away with subpar results and still stick around...yes i know they won a championship recently, SURE every dog has its day...previous to that the petes underacheived for years and years with terrible trades and a board room that was perfectly fine with mediocrity. we lose out on players nowadays because our facilities and arena is mickey mouse....
just my opinion

Reactions: cleodog

dangerousjd

May 2, 2010
being a weatherman and Mike oake...
chance of hurricane, chance of a tsunmai, chance of a petes playoff

sign me up! good for him tho....sweet score

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Woulds and leek are gone

Not surprised with Nathan Leek. He is 19 years old and we already have Jonathan Melee, Caden Taylor, Aiden Young and Joseph Cadorin at left wing. Also Quinton Page and Brennan Faulkner can play this position as well (they have been playing right wing).

I felt Dylan Woulds was on the bubble with the addition of Blake Gowan, Genc Ula and Thanasi Marentette. I think Gowan will be the 6th defenceman.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
That is the way I see it however I think Genc Ula will challenge Blake Gowan for that 6th spot. They may even rotate in and out of the lineup early in the season.
I think Blake Gowan is far more OHL ready than Ula is. Gowan looked incredible in camp. So smooth and might make the best first pass out of our starting 6 defenceman other than Carson Cameron.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

I think once I get to the opener I'll get more into it. Right now the weather is so nice it still feels like summer (and yes, it technically is summer) but once the cooler fall air gets here and there's a game to go to every Thursday, I know I'll get into it and have more opinions about the team.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
lmao who knows if they will ever get a new arena...10 percent tax increase for what? pothole city, waiting on parkhill to finish 2 years later? as a boy i had the privledge of my father getting season tickets and bringing me to the games...The Dick Todd Mike Ricci era was a wonderful time and a proud time to be a petes fan. Remember the Oshawa Generals rivalries fondly and making fun of their area....i heard rumours Randy Macho man savage bumped his head when jumping off the turnbuckle when WWF came to town ...LOL
the proudness of knowing the Petes sent the most players to the NHL then any other Junior team.....the legacy has took a hit....people in the board room who shouldnt have been in the board room...I was pulling for them to sell the team to Greg Millen and company.
always have said Mike Oake has a dream job, zero accountability....where else nowadays do you get away with subpar results and still stick around...yes i know they won a championship recently, SURE every dog has its day...previous to that the petes underacheived for years and years with terrible trades and a board room that was perfectly fine with mediocrity. we lose out on players nowadays because our facilities and arena is mickey mouse....
just my opinion
Oke has actually done well with player recruitment, trades and drafting. He took a team that players wanted out of and turned it into a team that got high end players to report to. He built a championship caliber team in 2019-20 before they were robbed by Covid and then he lost the opportunity to recoup assets from that team and he still built a team that won the OHL. Let’s not forget what he did at the trade deadline last year.

The Petes have had mediocre years but those were not under or thanks to Oke.

Reactions: dirty12

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Oke has actually done well with player recruitment, trades and drafting. He took a team that players wanted out of and turned it into a team that got high end players to report to. He built a championship caliber team in 2019-20 before they were robbed by Covid and then he lost the opportunity to recoup assets from that team and he still built a team that won the OHL. Let’s not forget what he did at the trade deadline last year.

The Petes have had mediocre years but those were not under or thanks to Oke.

The Peterborough Petes organization has improved greatly with Mike Oke as a GM and even more so when Rob Wilson became Coach. Players want to come to Peterborough to play for him. The Petes have had three contending teams in the last three cycles. One under Jody Hull and two under Rob. They finished first in the conference in 2016-2017. They went to the Conference Final losing to Mississsauga. Three seasons later they had another contending team in 2019-2020 before Covid wiped out the season and of course the championship season two seasons ago. Peterborough have set a goal to be more competitive in between the contending years by striving to be more consistent on a yearly basis with a plan to win another OHL Championship within four years.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The Peterborough Petes organization has improved greatly with Mike Oke as a GM and even more so when Rob Wilson became Coach. Players want to come to Peterborough to play for him. The Petes have had three contending teams in the last three cycles. One under Jody Hull and two under Rob. They finished first in the conference in 2016-2017. They went to the Conference Final losing to Mississsauga. Three seasons later they had another contending team in 2019-2020 before Covid wiped out the season and of course the championship season two seasons ago. Peterborough have set a goal to be more competitive in between the contending years by striving to be more consistent on a yearly basis with a plan to win another OHL Championship within four years.

the petes are the best!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You get it out of your system yet?

when i can give constructive criticism to the poster without him flagging a moderator for bullying, i will. hes running to every board pumping the petes tires, i get being a fan but theres a reason why everyone likes my posts when i post it, they are tired of it.

very little to do with the petes themselves, just the insecurity and obsession's of the guy posting,

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
when i can give constructive criticism to the poster without him flagging a moderator for bullying, i will. hes running to every board pumping the petes tires, i get being a fan but theres a reason why everyone likes my posts when i post it, they are tired of it.

very little to do with the petes themselves, just the insecurity and obsession's of the guy posting,
Why don’t you just put him on the ignore list? I’m sure some of the reports get sent to mods outside the OHL threads and we all know some mods take their job a little too seriously. You seem to have some good insider info about the OHL and everything that goes on so I’m sure there’s a lot of people that would like you to not get banned by an over zealous mod.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Why don’t you just put him on the ignore list? I’m sure some of the reports get sent to mods outside the OHL threads and we all know some mods take their job a little too seriously. You seem to have some good insider info about the OHL and everything that goes on so I’m sure there’s a lot of people that would like you to not get banned by an over zealous mod.

if i get banned, then i get banned

the guy needs thicker skin and to calm down, not troll every board telling everyone how great the petes are and how awful everyone else is.

Reactions: frontsfan67 and MJ5

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You come off a little insecure and obsessed with his posting too fwiw

when he keeps reporting my posts, your damn right ill push back. i just want a 1-1 convo with the guy, he wont do it and if i try, i get reported. all i can post is 'petes are the best', they cant delete that. thers a reason why those posts get like 5/6 likes every time.

you guys can hate me but the private messages i get every time about pushing back on him tell me im not in the wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ5

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
when he keeps reporting my posts, your damn right ill push back. i just want a 1-1 convo with the guy, he wont do it and if i try, i get reported. all i can post is 'petes are the best', they cant delete that. thers a reason why those posts get like 5/6 likes every time.

you guys can hate me but the private messages i get every time about pushing back on him tell me im not in the wrong.
I just think it's ironic that your answer to them muddying up other threads is to muddy up this thread. You're doing the exact same thing they are doing.

And lol at anyone caring about how many likes they're getting and then calling out someone else as insecure.

Hopefully the mods come in and clean up all this mess (no I'm not reporting it/you but this is so stupid).

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I just think it's ironic that your answer to them muddying up other threads is to muddy up this thread. You're doing the exact same thing they are doing.

And lol at anyone caring about how many likes they're getting and then calling out someone else as insecure.

Hopefully the mods come in and clean up all this mess (no I'm not reporting it/you but this is so stupid).

i hope so, and i hope that if i reply to his post, i dont get my wrist slapped for being 'mean'. ,if i said what you just said to me to him, hed have reported it 50 times.

the likes are feedback, i only use it in the context that everyone is sick of it, other ppl are doing it now too.

Reactions: frontsfan67 and MJ5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad