Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If they sign him this year I could see him rotating with Blake Gowan in the 6th spot. He could also wait to next year to sign. We will likely see him in a Petes uniform either this season or next. I expect he will be at training camp as he has indicated the OHL is the route he intends to take.
how do you know that?

Reactions: Section5Petes

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
how do you know that?
I think he's referencing this article

Ula is a six-foot-one, 190-pound left shot from New York state who had 11 goals and nine assists for 20 points in 22 games.

“He came onto our radar by going to a couple of the big events in the U.S. He’s got good size and is really keen. We’ve been in touch with him all winter and he’s really reinforced he wants to play in the OHL,” said Oke. “He said his No. 1 objective is to play in the OHL. He’s a big, strong, steady two-way defenceman.”

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think he's referencing this article

Ula is a six-foot-one, 190-pound left shot from New York state who had 11 goals and nine assists for 20 points in 22 games.

“He came onto our radar by going to a couple of the big events in the U.S. He’s got good size and is really keen. We’ve been in touch with him all winter and he’s really reinforced he wants to play in the OHL,” said Oke. “He said his No. 1 objective is to play in the OHL. He’s a big, strong, steady two-way defenceman.”

but then why hasn’t he signed?

I chuckle a bit be I see a week ago he told us all there would be no trades at all but there is one pending, no different then when he told us there was no way michael Simpson would be traded.

I’m just saying maybe he doesn’t have all the answers

Last edited:

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

I chuckle a bit be I see a week ago he told us all there would be no trades at all but there is one pending, no different then when he told us there was no way michael Simpson would be traded.

I don't think anyone actually knows 100% what is taking place.
Even the GM'S. The landscape changes almost daily in JR hockey as you know.
What sounds like a done deal today can go to shit tomorrow.
The joys of JR hockey where the kids and parents run the show...

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017

Petes fans also have PTSD from the darker times a few years back and think they need to sign every decent player who is willing to come here as early as possible. He may not have signed because they always planned on bringing in another defenseman, and they haven't put a contract in front of him yet.

The pending trade for a veteran defenseman would seem to be another step in balancing the development of the young core vs making sure that core doesn't get crushed every night.

They're obviously not going to be a contending team but if the plan is a top 9 forward group of Melee, Lefebvre, McIntyre, McCallum, Taylor, Page, Young, Addy and Fitzgerald and a top 4 D of Carson, Matejicek, Strohack, Jenken? and in this scenario, Bowen in net, they can stick around in some games at least.

And that still leaves development space for Ladds, Gowan, Cadorin, Turcotte, Partridge, Ula, if he comes etc... but there's a base here of guys who can hang in the OHL.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Gunna be some big boys back there… any predictions on D pairings?

Strohack(6’3)-Cameron(6’1)
Matejicek(6’2)-Jenken(6’4)
Gowan(6’0)-Ladds(6’1)

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Petes fans also have PTSD from the darker times a few years back and think they need to sign every decent player who is willing to come here as early as possible. He may not have signed because they always planned on bringing in another defenseman, and they haven't put a contract in front of him yet.

The pending trade for a veteran defenseman would seem to be another step in balancing the development of the young core vs making sure that core doesn't get crushed every night.

They're obviously not going to be a contending team but if the plan is a top 9 forward group of Melee, Lefebvre, McIntyre, McCallum, Taylor, Page, Young, Addy and Fitzgerald and a top 4 D of Carson, Matejicek, Strohack, Jenken? and in this scenario, Bowen in net, they can stick around in some games at least.

And that still leaves development space for Ladds, Gowan, Cadorin, Turcotte, Partridge, Ula, if he comes etc... but there's a base here of guys who can hang in the OHL.
I think the Petes will be an improved team over the second half of last season. I think Brayden McCallum is going to have a breakout season offensively. Caden Taylor could score 30 Jonathan Melee hopefully will return to his first half form of last season. I hope Ryder MacIntyre can continue his improved production from late in the season. I think Chase Lefebvre and Quentin Page will contribute. I expect Nico Addy and Aiden Young will take a step forward and be contributors. Colin Fitzgerald should be among the rookie scoring leaders. Offence will be limited but there is enough talent there for them to score some goals. On defence all the defencemen are a year older and all now have a full year of experience and with the pending addition the team will be adding some experience. Hopefully Zack Bowen can take the starting goaltending position and hopefully either Easton Rye or Masen Johnston will be a capable back up goaltender. They will struggle at times this coming season but will be better than the second half of last year. I think they can make the playoffs. In regards to Genc Ula I think he plans to play in the OHL from what Mike Oke has said. Whether it is this year or next we will likely see him in a Petes uniform at some point. I fully expect to see him at training camp.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
No I don’t think we will see him
I agree the Petes really don’t have room for him. They have a good nucleus of a promising young defence with a good mix of ages. Martin Matejecik who is 19 and will likely adding be adding another, Grayson Strohack and possibly Dylan Woulds who are 18, Carson Cameron and Liam Ladds who are 17 and Blake Gowan and possibly Genc Ula who are 16. There may be others who are in the running for a job. Next year (2025-2026) only Matejicek will graduate. The next after that Cameron, Ladds, Gowan, Ula and possible Strohack if he returns as an overage will likely be the core of the defence which will likely be their next opportunity to make a run.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

appreciate your more balanced look, my struggle with the other guy is constantly lecturing and explaining what will happen when he’s about 30 precebt correct most of the time

I don't think anyone actually knows 100% what is taking place.
Even the GM'S. The landscape changes almost daily in JR hockey as you know.
What sounds like a done deal today can go to shit tomorrow.
The joys of JR hockey where the kids and parents run the show...
100 percent, which. Is why I get so confused when he said things are 100 percent, they won’t trade for this guy, they won’t trade that guy…

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Is there any update on the Petes trade for a defenceman that has been talked about on this page? Several other trades have been announced.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Is there any update on the Petes trade for a defenceman that has been talked about on this page? Several other trades have been announced.
Haven't heard any such thing from anyone credible. Who is saying that?

Nevermind i just seen OHL4LIFE's posts.
Likely one coming.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002

Flint traded Peterborough's 3rd round pick in 2018 to Niagara today.

I imagine that pick is part of the Flint-Peterborough deal that has yet to be announced.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Flint traded Peterborough's 3rd round pick in 2018 to Niagara today.

I imagine that pick is part of the Flint-Peterborough deal that has yet to be announced.
What 23 year old did we trade to Niagara?

I kid, I kid.

But yes, that 2028 PBO 3rd wasn't listed on the draft pick database as having it ever in Flint.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
From Elite Prospects:

Scouting Report
Jenken is a physical rush defender who constantly pushes the play forward. He turns pucks in the defensive zone to quick rushes by hiding his intentions as his teammates skate their routes, then connecting through the forecheck. In the offensive zone, he extends plays and occasionally creates by walking into space, faking, and hitting a teammate in the slot.

----

I like the sounds of the pushes the play forward and turns puck up the ice. Not going to add a ton of offense but may be a huge help in the transition game.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
It occurs to me with a D depth chart of (I know a bunch of these guys won't be there).

Matejicek - Cameron
Strohack - Jenken
Gowan - Ladds
Haley - Velliaris
Woulds - Ula

That Carson Cameron should get a lot of runway on PP1 this season which should help his NHL draft stock.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
It occurs to me with a D depth chart of (I know a bunch of these guys won't be there).

Matejicek - Cameron
Strohack - Jenken
Gowan - Ladds
Haley - Velliaris
Woulds - Ula

That Carson Cameron should get a lot of runway on PP1 this season which should help his NHL draft stock.
I agree. Looking forward to seeing Jenken in camp and the pre-season but I am somewhat hoping he can become a decent puck mover/ somewhat reliable option on PP2. have to assume he will have a sizeable role on the PK but just as they did with Matejicek last season, I’d like to try Jenken in his spot on the second powerplay. Just a thought

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

Matejicek - Cameron
Strohack - Jenken
Gowan - Ladds
Haley - Velliaris
Woulds - Ula

Mike Oke referenced in Peterborough Examiner that the Petes have five returning defencemen. Peterborough have seven defencemen from last year eligible to return. So there must be two of those the Petes know are not returning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad