Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Sounds like Frasca from KGN is asking to be traded and wants a change of scenery. That would be a nice addition to the core as the 2006 birth year is severely lacking
I’d really like the Petes to find a way to add Frasca as well. Undrafted to this point so there is still a chance you have him for an OA season as well when the ‘07s are at their peak but if not, its still great value for 2 seasons. I'd say we can officially move on from Hage so having Frasca, McCallum, Fitzgerald down the middle the next few years would be very very nice. I hope the Petes pursue it. Get it done Oke!

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I’d really like the Petes to find a way to add Frasca as well. Undrafted to this point so there is still a chance you have him for an OA season as well when the ‘07s are at their peak. We can officially move on from Hage so having Frasca, McCallum, Fitzgerald down the middle the next few years would be very very nice. Get it done Oke!
I agree he would fit in well with the Petes. I am concerned what the cost would be? Who do you think they would trade in return? They have a limited draft picks that they can move. In my opinion they have two, 2nds and two, 3rds that they can move and still maintain enough draft picks to draft the players they need to achieve their goal to have a team that is competitive every year.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I agree he would fit in well with the Petes. I am concerned what the cost would be? Who do you think they would trade in return? They have a limited draft picks that they can move. In my opinion they have two, 2nds and two, 3rds that they can move and still maintain enough draft picks to draft the players they need to achieve their goal to have a team that is competitive every year.
If it’s a picks only deal I think the Petes have to explore it seriously also because they don’t really have the veteran bodies that could help a team like Kingston who wants to contend. Really not too sure what the value would be at this point, but it’s not gonna be pennies. Hope the Petes can add Frasca however

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
If it’s a picks only deal I think the Petes have to explore it seriously also because they don’t really have the veteran bodies that could help a team like Kingston who wants to contend. Really not too sure what the value would be at this point, but it’s not gonna be pennies. Hope the Petes can add Frasca however
I am thinking it likely would take two, 2nds and two, 3rds and maybe a 5th. The Petes have those draft picks. Their extra picks are 2nds in 2025 and 2027 and 3rds in 2025 and 2027. They will likely add a 3rd and 4th if they trade Liam Sztuska. However they likely would flip those draft picks for an overage defenceman.

Last edited:

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Carson Cameron and Caden Taylor were both cut from the Hlinka U18 team. Shocked Cameron didn’t make it…
Genuinely shocked Cameron didn't make it. I mean REALLY surprised. Not discounting the great '07 crop of dmen in the OHL but I thought he would have been on that roster for sure

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Genuinely shocked Cameron didn't make it. I mean REALLY surprised. Not discounting the great '07 crop of dmen in the OHL but I thought he would have been on that roster for sure
Hate that the fronts are gonna have to play against Cameron here for the next few years. He’s gonna be really damn good regardless of him making the u18’s. If I had to guess- if the 2025 nhl draft were to start today he would probably be a late first/early second.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
His game may be more subtle than a lot of the others in a short viewing window. There will be better offensive players, better power play QBs, more physical defenders, maybe... Cameron is so well rounded, he's way above average at everything but I can see why he may not stand out on limited viewings.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
His game may be more subtle than a lot of the others in a short viewing window. There will be better offensive players, better power play QBs, more physical defenders, maybe... Cameron is so well rounded, he's way above average at everything but I can see why he may not stand out on limited viewings.
Defensive defencemen do not get the credit they deserve. That is why year in and year out the OHL Defenceman of the Year almost always goes to a defenceman who is one of the top point producers at that position instead of a defensive defenceman that shuts down other team’s offensive leaders, consistently blocks shots and plays an all round game.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthernVoice

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Defensive defencemen do not get the credit they deserve. That is why year in and year out the OHL Defenceman of the Year almost always goes to a defenceman who is one of the top point producers at that position instead of a defensive defenceman that shuts down other team’s offensive leaders, consistently blocks shots and plays an all round game.
I don’t think anyone would classify Carson Cameron as a defensive defenceman at all. Accounting for his future in the OHL, considering him as a strong two way defenceman is much more accurate. Cameron was terrific defensively last season (blocking shots, PK, etc) but he does have quite solid offensive abilities, that should only develop stronger in the coming years.

Led all 2007 born defenceman with 26 points in 59 games (0.44ppg) with 4 goals and 22 assists. He was also over a point per game in his final two seasons in AAA so there’s no doubt there is a strong offensive ceiling to look forward to with Cameron. Played like a veteran in the d-zone all year, but this season will be a big year for him to hopefully to start taking his offensive game to the next step and activate even more

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I don’t think anyone would classify Carson Cameron as a defensive defenceman at all. Accounting for his future in the OHL, considering him as a strong two way defenceman is much more accurate. Cameron was terrific defensively last season (blocking shots, PK, etc) but he does have quite solid offensive abilities, that should only develop stronger in the coming years.

Led all 2007 born defenceman with 26 points in 59 games (0.44ppg) with 4 goals and 22 assists. He was also over a point per game in his final two seasons in AAA so there’s no doubt there is a strong offensive ceiling to look forward to with Cameron. Played like a veteran in the d-zone all year, but this season will be a big year for him to hopefully to start taking his offensive game to the next step and activate even more
I’d say he needs a 40+ point season to be a top 60-ish pick in the NHL draft this season.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I’d say he needs a 40+ point season to be a top 60-ish pick in the NHL draft this season.
Whole team around him will be a year older and better. Not a top 4 team in conference but I think you guys make playoffs atleast. I can see it happening absolutely.

Also think Caden Taylor is primed for a breakout year. He looked good from what I saw once he was traded to you guys. Him, Fitzgerald and Cameron are going to lead this team for years.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Whole team around him will be a year older and better. Not a top 4 team in conference but I think you guys make playoffs atleast. I can see it happening absolutely.

Also think Caden Taylor is primed for a breakout year. He looked good from what I saw once he was traded to you guys. Him, Fitzgerald and Cameron are going to lead this team for years.
The Petes goal this coming season is to make the playoffs. The offence will be lead by Brayden McCallum, Calum Taylor, Ryder McIntyre Jonathan Melee (if he is not traded) Colin Fitzgerald and if he returns, Chase Lefebvre. Nico Addy, Aiden Young and possibly, Joseph Cadorin I believe, will start to contribute. This offence will not be strongest in the conference but I think they will score more goals than many are expecting. The defence has Carson Cameron and Martin Matejicek, Grayden Strohack, Liam Ladds, Dylan Woulds and possibly William Haley. They are young but talented and all have a year of experience in the OHL. In goal they will have either Liam Sztuska or Zack Bowen as the starter and either Easton Rye or Mason Johnston as the backup. The Petes need to acquire a centre that can play in the top nine, a veteran right winger and a veteran defenceman. The Petes long term goal is be competitive every year and win a round or two on a regular basis and win another OHL Championship and hopefully a Memorial Cup within four years.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
What are people’s thoughts on what additions the Petes need to make going into this season? I think they need to add centre to their top nine, potentially a right winger and a veteran defenceman (possibly an overage). Other than the defenceman I would think they would be looking at a players who will be with the team long term. They do have some draft picks to trade. They have an extra 2nd in both 2025 and 2027 and an extra 3rd in 2025, 2026 and 2027. They are likely going to trade either Liam Sztuska or Zack Bowen and will get draft picks for them and likely an overage forward. The return will depend on who they trade.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
What are people’s thoughts on what additions the Petes need to make going into this season? I think they need to add centre to their top nine, potentially a right winger and a veteran defenceman (possibly an overage). Other than the defenceman I would think they would be looking at a players who will be with the team long term. They do have some draft picks to trade. They have an extra 2nd in both 2025 and 2027 and an extra 3rd in 2025, 2026 and 2027. They are likely going to trade either Liam Sztuska or Zack Bowen and will get draft picks for them and likely an overage forward. The return will depend on who they trade.
When was the last time the Petes made significant deals before the season started that didn’t involve OAs?

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
When was the last time the Petes made significant deals before the season started that didn’t involve OAs?
I am not saying these trades would be made prior to training camp or during the exhibition season. Some may be made during preseason games, Others just prior to the start of the season or in the early part of the season. The Petes have made trades in recent years before the season started. In 2022 they traded for Connor Lockhart in August. In 2019 they traded Ryan Merkley just prior to the start of the season.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Matt Puempel trade? As far as one benefitting the Petes, David Shantz?
David Shantz was a great trade for the Petes. He was key to the Petes winning the OHL Championship that season. The Matt Puempel trade was a disaster for the Petes The trade was Puempel for Zach Lorentz and multiple draft picks. GM, Dave Reid thought he had second trade in place with Niagara to flip the draft picks he received for Brett Ritchie and Niagara decided not to make the trade. The Petes at the time did not need anymore draft picks but really needed to replace Matt’s production. The only silver lining was new GM, Mike Oke was able to use the surplus draft picks to make the Hunter Garlent trade the next season.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Matt Puempel trade? As far as one benefitting the Petes, David Shantz?
Safe to say… it’s been a while and none in the Mike Oke era. I think what we see is what we get in terms of the roster… only move id expect is them clearing room for a young goalie.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Safe to say… it’s been a while and none in the Mike Oke era. I think what we see is what we get in terms of the roster… only move id expect is them clearing room for a young goalie.
Mike Oke traded for Connor Lockhart two seasons ago in August and traded Josh Kavanagh to Barrie the same month. I think the Petes will likely make moves to be more competitive this coming season. They need a centre to play behind Brayden McCallum and Colin Fitzgerald. They also need to add a veteran defenceman to take some pressure of the young defence. The right winger likely won’t happen. I am thinking they will trade Liam Sztuska and will go with Zack Bowen as the starter and one of Easton Rye or Mason Johnston. However if they think Bowen is not able to be the starter they will likely keep Sztuska and trade Zack.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Mike Oke traded for Connor Lockhart two seasons ago in August and traded Josh Kavanagh to Barrie the same month. I think the Petes will likely make moves to be more competitive this coming season. They need a centre to play behind Brayden McCallum and Colin Fitzgerald. They also need to add a veteran defenceman to take some pressure of the young defence. The right winger likely won’t happen. I am thinking they will trade Liam Sztuska and will go with Zack Bowen as the starter and one of Easton Rye or Mason Johnston. However if they think Bowen is not able to be the starter they will likely keep Sztuska and trade Zack.
Yep, forgot about that Lockhart deal. So he’s made one deal of significance before training camps in his tenure as Petes GM.

Josh Kavanagh doesn’t exactly qualify as a significant trade.

I would temper your expectations, that’s all I’m saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad