Confirmed with Link: Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Maybe he should writer articles about Giroux and Voracek and Simmonds and Hartnell not having 1 point in 4 games combined.

Rosehill is a meaningless player, to dedicate an article to him and what he brings is dumb.

You want to rattle feathers, go after the guys that make a combined 20M to put to the puck in the net and aren't doing it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's silly to say Berube let it slide when he said: "And then what he did afterward was unacceptable. He can't do it. He knows that."

Of course he's going to keep any actual discipline in house. I would be happy if Rosehill only dressed for another five games this season, but this reporter is clearly just trying to push his angle regardless of the facts.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
It's silly to say Berube let it slide when he said: "And then what he did afterward was unacceptable. He can't do it. He knows that."

Of course he's going to keep any actual discipline in house. I would be happy if Rosehill only dressed for another five games this season, but this reporter is clearly just trying to push his angle regardless of the facts.

I hope Rosehill doesn't dress again, but I know that won't happen. Really I just don't understand why they wouldn't call up McGinn and give him 4th line duties. He didn't show much in preseason but he did play decently last season and should be given a shot, in my opinion. Besides Rosehill taking punches, I'm not sure there's anything he brings that someone like McGinn couldn't do better.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
There is a later practice today -- at noon time (Voorhees), if anyone is going. It is open.

WED, OCT 9: 12:00 p.m. at Skatezone in Voorhees, NJ
THUR, OCT 10: 11:00 a.m. at Skatezone in Voorhees, NJ

Evergreen

The article says Berube should have benched Rosehill. Want to know how many shifts Rosehill received after that incident? One.

The author is looking in the wrong places for someone to blame. I doubt Rosehill's 4 minutes of ice time or his penalties (on which the Panthers did not score) are the reason we can't score or play defense. How about an article about Giroux, Simmonds, Hartnell, Voracek, and Read having a combined 0 points? Or Timonen looking like he's stuck in molasses and getting caught at the point 3 times so far? Or Meszaros being unable to catch a pass? Rosehill is the least of our problems.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope Rosehill doesn't dress again, but I know that won't happen. Really I just don't understand why they wouldn't call up McGinn and give him 4th line duties. He didn't show much in preseason but he did play decently last season and should be given a shot, in my opinion. Besides Rosehill taking punches, I'm not sure there's anything he brings that someone like McGinn couldn't do better.

I'd prefer they bring up a top 9 guy and move Talbot to the 4th line. Hopefully someone like Raffl on the Phantoms really has a hot start and earns a call up.

Zod

Disappointment Train
May 31, 2011
Ideally McGinn would just jump into the 3rd line and we'd be set, but he's been off. I think Raffl'd be a decent bet. His skillset leans more towards top 6, right? Admittedly he still needs some time for adjustment to NA, but I think Vinny'd made some positive comments about skating with him at some point in the preseason.

Read's shootiness could fit well with G, but I really liked seeing him with Couturier last night. Hartnell and Simmonds haven't been playing well, so maybe:

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Hartnell-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

Brayden's actually been buzzing around, could get G and Voracek going. Simmonds and Hartnell shouldn't be anywhere near each other, but one can provide a physical presence to the 2nd line, while the other makes space for Couturier.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
G should be sparking G and his teammates ....elite players are supposed to do that. Right now he says he has a confidence issue..not good from a Captain's perspective.

Giroux definitely has to play better, but having linemates who are also playing poorly obviously isn't helping. That top line needs someone else that can carry and make plays with the puck.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Giroux definitely has to play better, but having linemates who are also playing poorly obviously isn't helping. That top line needs someone else that can carry and make plays with the puck.

Like a Jagr of a couple of seasons ago.....

Amazing how he really complemented both Hartnell and G. Once he was left hanging and then split ..Hartnell lost his motivation to be in shape and G lost a big part of his offense.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Like a Jagr of a couple of seasons ago.....

Amazing how he really complemented both Hartnell and G. Once he was left hanging and then split ..Hartnell lost his motivation to be in shape and G lost a big part of his offense.

I know your referencing a couple years back but just an fyi in case anyone didn't know, Hartnell is apparently now in great shape having lost 7% body fat this offseason

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I know your referencing a couple years back but just an fyi in case anyone didn't know, Hartnell is apparently now in great shape having lost 7% body fat this offseason

Yes...management had to tell him to get in shape. With Jagr he was inspired on his own to do so.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
The team produced less points at even strength when Carle was on the ice. Actually, almost every defenseman saw better production per 60 minutes. That actually lines up nicely with what I saw; namely, that defending Carle was hilariously simple. No goalie worried about his shot...if it even got through without being blocked it was an easy save. So, his biggest threat was the pass. Without Pronger to pass to on the other side that's not much of a threat either. In his last season here teams cut off all but two passing lanes, leaving him with his partner and a winger. Combine that with Lavi not telling him to do anything differently, and towards the end of the year teams knew exactly how to pressure Carle to maximize his liability in the offensive zone.

Seriously, Carle is terribly overrated. He accumulated his points through sheer, bulk ice time. He got ice time because there was simply nobody else to play. Any competent offensive dman who could do more than pass out of his own zone and could be an actual threat in the offensive zone put up better numbers.

On top of that he can't deal with strong competition defensively. We already have a better player in Streit, and TB fans already lament Carle.

As far as the change at even strength, don't forget the coach's complete inability/unwillingness to change his system, the ****show in net affecting the rest of the team, and Briere's implosion leaving us without a 2C are greater factors for the team's decline in offense than losing Carle's one trick. Drop Carle on the team last year and there is little to no change, especially since a big part of the problem with the breakout isn't solved by the dman passing...the team was clumping together along the boards too often and failing to even get through the neutral zone, even if the pass hit them there. Once the dmen made the pass, the turnover was forced at the forward who received it. Carle doesn't fix that...that's something Lavi would have needed to address and he didn't.

People who stare only at point production without looking deeper into his stats or looking at his actual play and the long-term, persistent trends one could easily observe are prone to overrating Carle; meaning, many journalists and fans of other teams. What he actually is, is an above average first pass guy who is either average or below average at the other aspects...including offensive zone and PP play, which are red flags for an offensive dman. He's strictly a complementary guy, and we already had too many of them last season.

They go too far in their assertions, but this is most certainly worth a read:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...rs-matt-carle-ryan-suter-nhl-free-agency-2012

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They go too far in their assertions, but this is most certainly worth a read:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...rs-matt-carle-ryan-suter-nhl-free-agency-2012

That's already been read and debunked thoroughly in the past, several times in several threads.

I find it telling that, after many TB fans dismissed our warnings, they were soon complaining about all of the same stuff the Carle Realists complained about once they saw him play regularly and very quickly pegged him as one of their prime buyout candidates.

Carle is Exhibit A for why you need to combine advanced stats with observation to get a true measure of a player in hockey, at least with the current stats available.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Carle is a really good player when playing next to Pronger. Take that away and he's a mediocre player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad