Confirmed with Link: Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I did that with the Eagles, well I didn't root for another team, I stopped watching football. I got tired of them annoying me, and just stopped following them. I'm getting back into them now because I want to see what Kelly can do, and I'll be totally on board when Vick is gone.

Honestly if your sports team's management is pissing you off that much, sometimes it's good to take a break. Even if my team sucks I can still enjoy the games, it's the lack of direction, or bad direction of management that gets me. And when that happens I just take a step back, and spend my time focusing on something else.

Sports are fun. If you're not having fun, then you need to stop watching for a little bit.

My father did the same thing with the Eagles at the end of the 2009 season. He grew tired of the team's "sort of win" approach. He got rid of his season tickets and stopped watching almost entirely. He's since gotten back into it with the Kelly hiring, but even that is limited compared to how it used to be. My Sundays as a kid were pretty much devoted to the Eagles.

What approach are the Flyers taking? They have no direction. They go youth with the Carter/Richards trades (which turned out great), then they go vets with the Lecavalier/Streit signings which slows the developement of the youth they got.

I love Kimmo Timonen, but the team should have tried to trade Kimmo last year and got something in return for him. That way they could have opened up a spot on the blueline for a guy like Gus (and this is coming from a Gus hater). They want youth on one hand, but then they sign Streit instead of giving Gus a chance.

I don't get it.

I'm not arguing that they don't have organizational flaws, but the desire to win is first and foremost. I get a kick out of people who believe otherwise.

I fail to see how the Vinny/Sreit signings are going to slow the development of the youth. If anything, it's going to help them, as they won't be counted on to carry the team at such a young age. That's pretty much standard operating procedure for every successful franchise.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
What approach are the Flyers taking? They have no direction. They go youth with the Carter/Richards trades (which turned out great), then they go vets with the Lecavalier/Streit signings which slows the developement of the youth they got.

I love Kimmo Timonen, but the team should have tried to trade Kimmo last year and got something in return for him. That way they could have opened up a spot on the blueline for a guy like Gus (and this is coming from a Gus hater). They want youth on one hand, but then they sign Streit instead of giving Gus a chance.

I don't get it.

When they brought in the youth that was the "rebuild mode" and now they are hoping that the youth they brought in during that period are now ready to take a larger role and start contending seriously...in order to be a contender you need to surround these young guys with people who have been there and can help you win a cup now...its not that difficult to understand to me.

The direction is not something that I question, they are doing a good job with that, there issue is they need to learn to gel as a team and playing a complete game. Once they get chemistry going they are a serious playoff contender for the next few years

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't know systems, I don't even know what Laviolettes was and I'm sure Stevens didn't have one.

All I know is that it pretty much looked like 5 separate players on the ice and none really knew where anybody was.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
The arrogance of some people around here is astounding. All I can say is what I said after the Richards and Carter trades. If you don't like the organization's approach, then go root for another team. There's really nothing stopping you.

I do not think it is possible for a true fan to root for another team

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
I do not think it is possible for a true fan to root for another team

I've been rooting for this team since the mid 80's and even religiously followed them during their long drought of playoff appearances. That was torture compared to what is going on now. I was younger then and more blindly loyal but as they say just because you disagree with something that your team is doing (like a country) doesn't mean you hate it. It's called the loyal opposition. Not everybody is going to agree on what is the best path for a team but doesn't mean you are less of a fan and should have your fanhood questioned. We all want what is best for the team and that starts with a win tonight and righing this ship. I'll be ecstatic if Berube is successful and saves Holmgren's job. However, I would like to see less volatility than what we have been seeing of late. It's been a bit embarrassing for this organization to say the least..

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not arguing that they don't have organizational flaws, but the desire to win is first and foremost. I get a kick out of people who believe otherwise.

You are the second person I've seen claim this. Where exactly are you seeing people say "The Flyers don't want to win?" I'm not seeing anybody question their desire to win, I'm seeing them question their methods.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
You are the second person I've seen claim this. Where exactly are you seeing people say "The Flyers don't want to win?" I'm not seeing anybody question their desire to win, I'm seeing them question their methods.

I've seen more than one person make the claim that loyalty to former players and staff members is more important than winning, or at least that they only want to win with their guys.

I would have thought the Richards and Carter trades and the offseason buyouts would prove otherwise, that no one is above the effort of winning.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
I've seen more than one person make the claim that loyalty to former players and staff members is more important than winning, or at least that they only want to win with their guys.

I would have thought the Richards and Carter trades and the offseason buyouts would prove otherwise, that no one is above the effort of winning.

Can you cite these nebulous people because I haven't seen it and have read the posts pretty closely of late?

Even if there have been some random people to make such remarks, kind of unfair to generalize and paint everybody who has been critical with one broad stroke of the brush

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Can you cite these nebulous people because I haven't seen it and have read the posts pretty closely of late?

Even if there have been some random people to make such remarks, kind of unfair to generalize and paint everybody who has been critical with one broad stroke of the brush

I'm not going through dozens of pages just to pull a quote for you.

I've also never said it was everyone, or that the organization doesn't warrant some criticism, as I certainly have my ideas on their mistakes as well. Some of the stuff from yesterday was just cringe worthy with overreaction.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
I'm not going through dozens of pages just to pull a quote for you.

I've also never said it was everyone, or that the organization doesn't warrant some criticism, as I certainly have my ideas on their mistakes as well. Some of the stuff from yesterday was just cringe worthy with overreaction.

Winning cures all.....let's hope they get it into gear. The reactions are only natural..some may be overreactions but again given the volatility we have experienced the last couple of seasons..it's not like it's occurring within a vacuum or unmerited..

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

ive made the loyalty comments before. do i really believe they view loyalty over everything? of course not. but there is little doubt that this organization is loyal to its Flyer familly. Holmgren will never be fired. He will "step aside" before he is fired.
Snider will never fire anyone who has ties to the Flyers. If you want to count Stevens then fine but how long did that take? he was a moron anyway.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
The flyers went against their norms back when they kept Lavy, traded Carter and Richards, then spent a ton on the best FA goalie (which they never do, see Beezer). This time when they needed a change, they merely fired the coach, which needed to happen anyway. Should have been at the end of last season, but it needed to happen, they flyers are too easy to hem in their own zone.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Snider will never fire anyone who has ties to the Flyers..

Jay Snider fired Clarke..but yeah Ed won't fire Holmgren just like he didn't officially fire Clarke in his second stint. We need more Jay less Ed :sarcasm:

Where is Jay anyway? I bet he comes back when his dad passes...Farwell would come back too...:sarcasm:

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Impossible. The posters here are mere amateurs, and they couldn't possibly understand the inner workings of an NHL franchise.

ha ha..good one. Yeah some of us mere amateurs were concerned about this. Sounds plausible. I really don't like how Lavi was handling the two of them at all

It's well-chronicled that Couturier was maddeningly stapled to the bench for periods or games at a time last year, and it seemed like Schenn was moved to a different line or position every other game. Neither of them was put in a position to succeed a lot last year -- moreso true for Couturier than Schenn, given that he was facing some of the tougher defensive minutes in the NHL -- and it's fair to ask if the coach was doing everything he could to help them succeed.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._play_into_decision_.html#Kf78ot4LFrBhiSoS.99

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Impossible. The posters here are mere amateurs, and they couldn't possibly understand the inner workings of an NHL franchise.

Yes, sports do transcend simple common sense and rational thinking. Sports management resides in the realm of the transmundane, and only gifted wizard-jedis known as GMs can possibly scry into the anomalous world beyond our own to glean the knowledge needed to run their team. Mere mortals like us could never make accurate deductions using our own amateur observations and a little thought.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
ha ha..good one. Yeah some of us mere amateurs were concerned about this. Sounds plausible. I really don't like how Lavi was handling the two of them at all

That was what finally sent me to the fire Lavy side. The way he was handling Couturier was ruining him more and more with every passing day. Hopefully Berube gives him some of the offensive opportunities that Lavy seemed to withhold.

Yes, sports do transcend simple common sense and rational thinking. Sports management resides in the realm of the transmundane, and only gifted wizard-jedis known as GMs can possibly scry into the anomalous world beyond our own to glean the knowledge needed to run their team. Mere mortals like us could never make accurate deductions using our own amateur observations and a little thought.

Something like that. Although I must admit, I was always blown away by the sheer intelligence of sports management majors in college. They made engineering students look like remedial peons.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
That was what finally sent me to the fire Lavy side. The way he was handling Couturier was ruining him more and more with every passing day. Hopefully Berube gives him some of the offensive opportunities that Lavy seemed to withhold.

Something like that. Although I must admit, I was always blown away by the sheer intelligence of sports management majors in college. They made engineering students look like remedial peons.

Ironically I felt the same with Richards when Hitch was here....I also hated how he would bench Williams.

Lavi was starting to become the Doug Collins of the Flyers with respect to how he handled rookies...

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
Ironically I felt the same with Richards when Hitch was here....I also hated how he would bench Williams.

Lavi was starting to become the Doug Collins of the Flyers with respect to how he handled rookies...

Watching players like Briere get plenty of ice-time after making mistake after mistake, while watching players like Couts get literally benched for several mins/periods at a time for similar mistakes was just baffling.

Makes no sense what Lavy was thinking. While we (me included) were quick to throw fingers at Couts and Schenn, I hope we can all sit back and give some patience towards them as the Berube promotion could pay off just like John Stevens did for Richards (without the after-effects of Stevens, of course).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad