Rumor: Pesce to New Jersey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
1719250016292.gif

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Would rather ship out Hamilton than Marino for a move like this

I certainly would not

I wonder if the Canes immediately call NJ about Marino. Maybe there's a trade to be made there. That three-season term is quite friendly to how the Canes do business, and Marino is a solid buy-low candidate.

That’s the only way this really makes sense. Maybe not necessarily to the Canes, but Marino is likely the odd man out if yet another RHD comes over.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I certainly would not
That's likely 15 mill in cap to Pesce and Hamilton+ 16 mill (or more) to luke and nemec on their next contracts. Gets very very pricey very very quickly.

3 years of marino takes you much nicer into a Casey transition as well, with him playing LD for a bit, then taking over when either marino expires or you sell him as a rental down the line.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Pesce
Marino-Nemec
Macdermid

Thats good.
Marino and Pesce fill the same roll. That's just unnecessary depth and cap that could be used elsewhere.

They're not far from having to pay both Hughes and Nemec.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't really understand this contingent of the Devils fanbase that wants to trade Hamilton. You saw how putrid the PP was last year as soon as he got injured.

As for Pesce, kind of an interesting situation. I would imagine they would plan to move Marino out? But who knows.
The PP2 was putrid due to the lack of entry ability. Hamilton wouldn't really solve that, (unless you move 1 of Luke or Bratt to PP2).

The salary cap exists and aging exists. If you can sign a player, get the good years, and then ship him out for positive value before he starts to decline, that's a win.

Anyways unlikely hamilton could be moved until at least next offseason anyway when he goes to an M-NTC

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pesce is more of a shutdown D than Marino. Devils would look better if Hamilton was making 2M less
Their stats and usage are startlingly similar. Pesce had Skjei as his partner though.

If New Jersey found a way to move Hamilton altogether, it would make a lot more sense.

Reactions: biturbo19

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Isn't Pesce like a shade of his former self?

There's a reason why the Canes haven't even engaged in contract talks, thats one contract that's gonna be high on the buyout list in 2 years

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really understand this contingent of the Devils fanbase that wants to trade Hamilton. You saw how putrid the PP was last year as soon as he got injured.

As for Pesce, kind of an interesting situation. I would imagine they would plan to move Marino out? But who knows.

My guess is that they'd want to move Marino out before his NTC kicks in. It kicks in July 1st and he has 3 years left on his deal, I figure they may not want to risk being stuck with that, after it sounds like Marino had a fairly dud of a season last year.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The PP2 was putrid due to the lack of entry ability. Hamilton wouldn't really solve that, (unless you move 1 of Luke or Bratt to PP2).

The salary cap exists and aging exists. If you can sign a player, get the good years, and then ship him out for positive value before he starts to decline, that's a win.

Anyways unlikely hamilton could be moved until at least next offseason anyway when he goes to an M-NTC

the PP1 was awful after Hamilton went out. For a few month stretch, they were worst in the league or close to it.

anyways, I don't really care about the cap as much as some other people do. Hamilton is still a productive player and should have a role on this team at leas for the next few years.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
That's likely 15 mill in cap to Pesce and Hamilton+ 16 mill (or more) to luke and nemec on their next contracts. Gets very very pricey very very quickly.

3 years of marino takes you much nicer into a Casey transition as well, with him playing LD for a bit, then taking over when either marino expires or you sell him as a rental down the line.

It depends on what Pesce gets, but signing Pesce at already a position of strength signals this is a win now move. Moving Hamilton absolutely makes the team immediately worse. Down the line? Maybe it makes sense, but that doesn’t seem to be Fitz’s intention here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad