Perunovich

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
1 year $1.15m, meh
There really wasn't any plausible decision on Perunovich that was going to move the needle for me, but I think it is a good signing.

I think he made a case as a guy deserving of a bit more than league minimum. He also came back from injury down the stretch this season, which cost him a chance to become a UFA. I'm not mad about rewarding that with a small raise. He had arbitration rights and would have gotten some type of raise, so we're probably talking about saving less than a couple hundred grand if we wanted to really go scorched Earth for every penny.

All things considered, this is an inconsequential dollar amount for what very likely won't be a to-the-exact-dollar cap team and it keeps him as an RFA at the end. Perfectly fine to give him another year to try and force his way into NHL usefulness.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
There really wasn't any plausible decision on Perunovich that was going to move the needle for me, but I think it is a good signing.

I think he made a case as a guy deserving of a bit more than league minimum. He also came back from injury down the stretch this season, which cost him a chance to become a UFA. I'm not mad about rewarding that with a small raise. He had arbitration rights and would have gotten some type of raise, so we're probably talking about saving less than a couple hundred grand if we wanted to really go scorched Earth for every penny.

All things considered, this is an inconsequential dollar amount for what very likely won't be a to-the-exact-dollar cap team and it keeps him as an RFA at the end. Perfectly fine to give him another year to try and force his way into NHL usefulness.
Those are all fair points, I am not even convinced he will still be here at the start of the season anyway but the deal does make sense.

Reactions: Blueston

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I wasn’t expecting this signing, I kind of figured this past season was it for him when he really wasn’t able to grab the reigns. But it’s a cheap contract if it doesn’t work out and I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t on the roster to start the season either

Reactions: Blueston

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
For some reason I still have some faith that he can be a good offensive Dman if the D side of things is taken care of by his partner, but he has GOT to find a way to get more pucks on net. In the calendar year 2024 he played in 33 games and had only 17 shots on goal total. That includes those games once we were out of it where he was playing 20+ minutes a night and getting PP time. He's a very good passer, but if that's all he does without any threat of a shot and subpar defense, it's not nearly enough. He'll be 26 when the season starts. I wasn't sure he was going to get this chance with the Blues, but this is it. He's got to get more pucks through and be more of a presence offensively. It's his only chance at staying in the league.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I wasn’t expecting this signing, I kind of figured this past season was it for him when he really wasn’t able to grab the reigns. But it’s a cheap contract if it doesn’t work out and I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t on the roster to start the season either
The Blues clearly did what they needed to do to ensure he played enough games for him to remain a RFA. That right there told me they planned on retaining him.

This is a fine deal. I was thinking more $1M even but he had a small amount of leverage with being arbitration eligible so good for him getting $1.15M. Agree with those saying this is likely his last prove it contract. He clearly has the skating ability and offensive hockey sense. The obvious deficit area is size which makes defending the best players in the world a huge challenge. That and I think his defensive hockey sense is also a bit below average. Or maybe what I’m seeing isn’t defensive misreads but simply him not attempting the “right” play as he feels he’s physically incapable of pulling it off. Idk. But hopefully he can round out that part of his game a bit and become an NHL regular.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I mean I like the guy and I like his play style much better than Krugs ( PP and skating ) but he's hurt so f***ing much.
How so? Salary aside, what does he do better than Krug? I would much rather have him at 1.15mm than krug at 6.5, but that is because of salary. Krug has always been better player.

Reactions: LogosBlue

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
How so? Salary aside, what does he do better than Krug? I would much rather have him at 1.15mm than krug at 6.5, but that is because of salary. Krug has always been better player.

I like the way he skates and walks the line better. I also think his passing is a bit less telegraphed.

Reactions: joe galiba

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
in the past he certainly was, but will Krug be the better player in the future ?
I think Krug is a awesome human, and he was a tremendous pp qb in the past, but to my eye test I thought Peru looked better running the pp last year

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
in the past he certainly was, but will Krug be the better player in the future ?
I think Krug is a awesome human, and he was a tremendous pp qb in the past, but to my eye test I thought Peru looked better running the pp last year
I like the way he skates and walks the line better. I also think his passing is a bit less telegraphed.
thank you both for responding. peru, i agree, skates better and walks the line well. what he doesn't do on pp well is get shots on net. or even shoot at all. so he looks super smooth out there as qb of pp, but it's not clear that he actually is. we actually scores at same rate (6.1g/60) with each on pp last year, so with peru being younger and maybe having room to improve he could well be better on pp than krug going forward. that said, i'd be fine if we could jettison both.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
thank you both for responding. peru, i agree, skates better and walks the line well. what he doesn't do on pp well is get shots on net. or even shoot at all. so he looks super smooth out there as qb of pp, but it's not clear that he actually is. we actually scores at same rate (6.1g/60) with each on pp last year, so with peru being younger and maybe having room to improve he could well be better on pp than krug going forward. that said, i'd be fine if we could jettison both.

Or just fuse them both together and create a talented, normal sized defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad