Perry and Getzlaf talks to start

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
9 mil? Not even the best players in the league are getting paid that. You currently have Crosby sitting at 8.7? Are you comparing Perry to Crosby now?

You would really benefit from learning the difference between a players salary cap hit and the actual salary being earned.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
9 mil? Not even the best players in the league are getting paid that. You currently have Crosby sitting at 8.7? Are you comparing Perry to Crosby now?

14m - Weber
12m - Crosby, Parise, Suter, B. Richards
11m - Kovalchuck
10m - Lecavalier, Ovechkin

Not sure if serious. :help:

Ducksgo*

You would really benefit from learning the difference between a players salary cap hit and the actual salary being earned.

Break down of crosby's deal

2013-14 — $12 million
2014-15 — $12 million
2015-16 — $12 million
2016-17 — $10.9 million
2017-18 — $10.9 million
2018-19 — $10 million
2019-20 — $9 million
2020-21 — $9.6 million
2021-22 — $9 million
2022-23 — $3 million
2023-24 — $3 million
2024-25 — $3 million

Just needed the details cause all I read was 8.7 average. Still if Perry is commanding 9-10m? That's nuts

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Break down of crosby's deal

2013-14 — $12 million
2014-15 — $12 million
2015-16 — $12 million
2016-17 — $10.9 million
2017-18 — $10.9 million
2018-19 — $10 million
2019-20 — $9 million
2020-21 — $9.6 million
2021-22 — $9 million
2022-23 — $3 million
2023-24 — $3 million
2024-25 — $3 million

Just needed the details cause all I read was 8.7 average. Still if Perry is commanding 9-10m? That's nuts

I'm not going to speculate on what Perry is commanding. You just might want to pay attention to those last three years of Crosby's contract.

And then also realize that Crosby, even with that contract, took a lot less than he could have because of his fascination with the number 87. He isn't the benchmark.

Ducksgo*

I'm not going to speculate on what Perry is commanding. You just might want to pay attention to those last three years of Crosby's contract.

Anaheim also has to sign free agents such as Teemu Selanne (UFA), Saku Koivu (UFA) and Kyle Palmieri (RFA) this summer, in addition to Perry.

We are forgetting Palms is RFA this summer. That's another signing we have to work in. And it's rumored Perry can get 9 mil per by James Mirtle via twitter on open market.

James Mirtle @mirtle

Some around league expect Perry to get more than $9-million AAV on open market. Was always going to be harder for Ducks to re-sign.
6:38 PM - 08 Mar 13

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Palmieri isn't going to get a huge payday, and Perry would make more by staying in Anaheim. That's the benefit of the 8 years vs. the 7. If he leaves Anaheim, it will be because he wants to.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
We will never know, but it sure would be interesting to see what Crosby would have signed for under the new CBA.

If he is really that adamant on the 8.7 number, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 8.7 across the board. He could be making league max and no one would bat an eye.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004

You really need to pay more attention. I get it that you're a new fan and a new poster but it's a whole different ballgame with the new CBA.

Like Burke said, GMs make their worst mistakes at trade deadline and after UFA deadline. If Perry wants 9M per year, good riddance. Ducks should trade him ASAP.

Ducksgo*

You really need to pay more attention. I get it that you're a new fan and a new poster but it's a whole different ballgame with the new CBA.

Like Burke said, GMs make their worst mistakes at trade deadline and after UFA deadline. If Perry wants 9M per year, good riddance. Ducks should trade him ASAP.

New fan? Been here since 05 man.... I thought it was 8.7 across the board. Didn't have the details in front of me.

Murray needs to see where Perry's head is at before the deadline. If his negotiation price starts at 10 mil and gets lowered to about 9 we need to trade him. Or we will be in a position like New Jersey was with Parise, and lose him for nothing.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think you're missing the point. Crosby's contract wouldn't be the benchmark even if it -was- 8.7 across the board. He has a superstition with that number. He took less than he could have so he could hit that number. You can't be the benchmark if your contract doesn't follow market value.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
I think offers have been exchanged.

I think perry has said he is not sure on resign or market.

I think deadlines have been set for a decision to be made.

I dont think perry is trying to tie the ducks' hands.

Question is, have deadlines passed? Are the ducks still waiting on word from perry? Does perry say, "give me a few days after getz signs to decide?"

It sounds stupid, but the dducks are playing well. I wonder if perry says, "ill do a 1 year deal. Or two year deal. To finish out the year"

Its not a great financial move on his part, and his agents would say dont do it. But i can see perry wanting to finish this season on the team. And a 1 year deal NTC would do it. And then the ducks decide on terms to be able to trade him next year.

And now that chicago has lost. We can start asking who is better. Ducks or hawks.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If he is really that adamant on the 8.7 number, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 8.7 across the board. He could be making league max and no one would bat an eye.

Maybe, but I think he might have gotten over his infatuation with that number given shorter contracts and no back diving. Or maybe something like $10,087,087 per. ;)

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Maybe, but I think he might have gotten over his infatuation with that number given shorter contracts and no back diving. Or maybe something like $10,087,087 per. ;)

Hah. True. Still, he makes a lot from endorsements too. Being the best player in the league has its perks. You're right, of course, that we'll never know. Fun to speculate though.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
9M * 7 years = 63M

Getzlaf was offered 66M.

Pretty clearly it's an offer designed to give them the same dollars they'll get on the open market with a softer cap hit because the Ducks can offer it for 8. 3M is what they can reasonably expect as a 35 year old, maybe slightly less, so it's a reasonable purchase of the extra year. It's a fair number. How is this not obvious to everyone looking at it?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
That's stupid money. Let me guess he wants 8 years with a NMC as well. No way ill pass on that if he's commanding more than 8.5. Not even Crosby is getting 9-10m a season right now.

Like I said previously Getz is setting the tone for UFAs with this signing. Most agents will use the Getz signing as leverage in the near future.

:facepalm:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That's stupid money. Let me guess he wants 8 years with a NMC as well. No way ill pass on that if he's commanding more than 8.5. Not even Crosby is getting 9-10m a season right now.

Like I said previously Getz is setting the tone for UFAs with this signing. Most agents will use the Getz signing as leverage in the near future.

Nope. New Jersey giving Zajak 5.75M for 8 years for his career high 67 points is what set the market.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Meh IMO you tell perry he can have Getzlaf's contract (structured differently) but same average and that's it. If he's not ok with that, you move him. Sad but that's the reality.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
True, but I think it was set anyway. The cap didn't really go down much, and these are the type of contracts we would've seen in the old CBA if not for the dummy years innovation. Zajac or not, it was bound to happen.

Oh, I agree completely. I was just addressing the hysteria over Getzlaf being what actually started things. They might have got him at 7.5 if Zajak hadn't gotten that contract. Maybe.

Last edited:

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
Regarding Perry, I think too much is made about how he "hates" media and pressure from the fans. It's just reaching a little. First of all, that pressure only comes when the player is not performing. We've seen Perry thrive when he's under the spotlight. Do you guys honestly think Perry is going to buckle just because he's getting more media attention? Seriously, the guy won the Richard, Hart, and carried his team into the playoffs when the entire hockey world was watching him.

Look at Kessel for example, like Perry he has a very reserved personality and a lot was expected from him when he went to Toronto. He went to the biggest hockey market and simply did his job. The fans like him and of course the media will find any way to berate the guy, but they can't really knock his play, because he produces.

It's usually the reserved types that don't let the media get to them, they're just so used to ignoring it. When you get on the ice, nothing else really matters. You are so engulfed in the game, the media is probably the last thing on a players mind. All they concentrate on is contributing to the team in a winning fashion. And with Perry's talent, it's easier to assume he becomes a media darling rather than getting thrown under the bus like a Scott Gomez.

I'd be elated if Perry re-signed. But I'd also respect it if he feels he can prove himself further in a bigger market and build his legacy even higher.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Regarding Perry, I think too much is made about how he "hates" media and pressure from the fans. It's just reaching a little. First of all, that pressure only comes when the player is not performing. We've seen Perry thrive when he's under the spotlight. Do you guys honestly think Perry is going to buckle just because he's getting more media attention? Seriously, the guy won the Richard, Hart, and carried his team into the playoffs when the entire hockey world was watching him.

Look at Kessel for example, like Perry he has a very reserved personality and a lot was expected from him when he went to Toronto. He went to the biggest hockey market and simply did his job. The fans like him and of course the media will find any way to berate the guy, but they can't really knock his play, because he produces.

It's usually the reserved types that don't let the media get to them, they're just so used to ignoring it. When you get on the ice, nothing else really matters. You are so engulfed in the game, the media is probably the last thing on a players mind. All they concentrate on is contributing to the team in a winning fashion. And with Perry's talent, it's easier to assume he becomes a media darling rather than getting thrown under the bus like a Scott Gomez.

I'd be elated if Perry re-signed. But I'd also respect it if he feels he can prove himself further in a bigger market and build his legacy even higher.

I'm going to somewhat disagree. I do agree that when they are on the ice all players tend to tune out everything but the game. But that's not really the issue. It's being able to deal with the pressure off the ice in everyday life that that differs among players. Look at the start Perry had this year. In SoCal a handful of hardcores on HF gave his some mild crap. That's it. In Toronto he would be talked about every day on TV, radio, and print. "What the hell is wrong with Perry!" He couldn't walk into Starbucks without getting more **** from fans. Some guys can deal with that, others not so much. I think Perry is in the other category and really does not want to have to deal with that added pressure.

All that said, it doesn't mean he might not leave for somewhere else. But I'm not sure it's in his best interest to do so. He's got great chemistry with Getz. He won't go broke playing here. He needs to think long and hard before he decides to leave here.

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
Anaheim also has to sign free agents such as Teemu Selanne (UFA), Saku Koivu (UFA) and Kyle Palmieri (RFA) this summer, in addition to Perry.

We are forgetting Palms is RFA this summer. That's another signing we have to work in. And it's rumored Perry can get 9 mil per by James Mirtle via twitter on open market.

James Mirtle @mirtle

Some around league expect Perry to get more than $9-million AAV on open market. Was always going to be harder for Ducks to re-sign.
6:38 PM - 08 Mar 13

You think that the two players who have always shown that they would give hometown discounts and a player with what 15 career goals will prevent us from resigning Perry? Please. All 3 of those contracts will be easy negotiations.

If Perry wants to stay he will take a contract similar to Getzlaf (Id do exactly what DuckStud said). If not he will walk after the season/get traded before he gets the chance to walk.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
New fan? Been here since 05 man.... I thought it was 8.7 across the board. Didn't have the details in front of me.

Sorry man, I mistakenly took you for one of the newer Ducks fans I really can't stand for all the crap they have posted at the main boards.

My mistake.

Murray needs to see where Perry's head is at before the deadline. If his negotiation price starts at 10 mil and gets lowered to about 9 we need to trade him. Or we will be in a position like New Jersey was with Parise, and lose him for nothing.

First question is this; is Perry willing to re-sign for any number of money? The answer might not be obvious, he just might want to leave (for reasons I don't fully understand but it doesn't matter).

If the answer to the first question is "yes", then we have the reality of Getlzaf setting the cap. It's extremely hard for Perry to justify any AAV number higher than 8.25M.

As much as I like Perry, if he's not willing to sign for similar money, he should be traded. Why? Because any player going for the biggest money is something that this team doesn't 1) want or 2) need. Because players don't live in Soviet Russia where the tax % is something you can "settle" with officials, the nominal salary is irrelevant after certain point.

I'm not an expert on US/CA tax laws but I'm pretty certain that the difference between earning 8.25M and 9M is not 0.75M after taxes, it's much lower than that.

If Perry enjoys playing with Getlzaf, if he enjoys the climate, if he enjoys the media non-coverage (as a relatively shy guy), he will re-sign.

If he wants to go closer to home (OTT, DET, TOR), trade him. I can't blame a player for wanting that.

However, not only I can but I will blame Perry if he's only after money. He's a multi-millionaire regardless of whatever happens, leaving the team for few 100Ks more per season is simply stupid/greedy. He doesn't have his priorities straight and that's not a player I want in my fav team.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
I'm going to somewhat disagree. I do agree that when they are on the ice all players tend to tune out everything but the game. But that's not really the issue. It's being able to deal with the pressure off the ice in everyday life that that differs among players. Look at the start Perry had this year. In SoCal a handful of hardcores on HF gave his some mild crap. That's it. In Toronto he would be talked about every day on TV, radio, and print. "What the hell is wrong with Perry!" He couldn't walk into Starbucks without getting more **** from fans. Some guys can deal with that, others not so much. I think Perry is in the other category and really does not want to have to deal with that added pressure.

All that said, it doesn't mean he might not leave for somewhere else. But I'm not sure it's in his best interest to do so. He's got great chemistry with Getz. He won't go broke playing here. He needs to think long and hard before he decides to leave here.

And the way he's playing right now he'd be considered a hero. These guys know how to tune out the media, they practice it every day. It's also part of the job to interact. I don't think Toronto would be actively pursuing Perry, just using Kessel as an example. But in a place like Ottawa he wouldn't even be the best player on his team. That right there takes a load off. He still would have to live up to the money he's going to make, which is the main issue but personally I don't think he'll have any problems with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad