Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
A lot can change during the season but a lot of teams have issues or questions marks that could potentially drag to next year that I can see driving his price up and offer Igor a ridiculous contract if he does his usual season and doesn’t fall of a cliff.

- Vegas doesn’t have a goalie signed for next year and always in on big name players and find ways to make it work regardless of their cap.

- Toronto is already having issues with Woll not being healthy and been chasing magic beans in net since Anderson left. The cap space is there next year.

- Vancouver has Demko but might have health issues. Cap issues are there but ways around it if they want him bad enough.

-Colorado needs a goalie if Georgiev doesn’t turn around. The cap space is there if Landy goes LTIR retirement or Nuke contracts gets terminated.

- Edmonton always has questions with Skinner. Especially if he implodes and they don’t have a run like last year. Something drastic would have to happen with their cap situation but it might also be last chance with Mcdavid so something drastic might have to happen there depending how they do this year.

- Detroit might be a team under the radar that would be after him. Only have Talbot signed for next year, Costa is not ready and Husso probably won’t be their solution.

I don’t expect all these teams goalie situations to stay the same all season but a lot of other teams don’t have stable goaltending. You may think a goalie is not worth that much but it might more be very few goalies are worth that due to very few elite goalies in the league and Igor is one of them which also drives his market up.

It’s rare for a goalie like him would go to free agency. Bob did and it was on a time I think the goalie market wasn’t that hot and he got paid still. Igor agent definitely sees the potential market for his client hoping to drive up his price more if he had a bidding war in free agency or uses it as threat to the rangers to squeeze out more money. It might be ridiculous still paying him that much or more but wouldn’t be the first time the league started overpaying for a certain role which seems to be a starting trend for goalies now, especially with the cap finally rising.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I'm not here to argue with anyone, but it's the term that scares me way more than the AAV. I dont need a 37 yr old goaltender pulling down over 11m. I guess I am the sucker because when I envision the deal, he's not sitting on a beach claiming LTIR for the last three years of it like most of these frauds. But this team should be able to develop some goaltender to at least push Igor out of the #1 spot over 8 years. Then what do you do with him?

This may be the right angle to come at the problem with.

8x11 is no good? fine here is 6x14.666

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The other angle that you don’t see a lot but I think should be explored more is give the guy the deal he wants but don’t include any trade protection. Combined with front loading, I think that makes a lot of sense. Get the player on the first half of the deal in your window, potentially trade him to a bad team with a lot of cap space the back half. I think players should be more open to this as a negotiating leverage give point. Player will probably want to go somewhere they can start and where the media doesn’t hate their existence by that point anyways. Why go through the whole song and dance of needing to waive a no trade clause when you would anyways.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I think Drury will play chicken with Igor, why not it would cost a signing team 7x12.57 to reach the resign offer level. If another team bites, good for them. I’d love to see a trade with Vegas in season if they want to ride Igor this year and offer him 8 years in the off season. Igor/Lindgren for Hill/Theodore - cap money is literally 67k difference.

RogerRogerr

May 11, 2011
Toronto
The other angle that you don’t see a lot but I think should be explored more is give the guy the deal he wants but don’t include any trade protection. Combined with front loading, I think that makes a lot of sense. Get the player on the first half of the deal in your window, potentially trade him to a bad team with a lot of cap space the back half. I think players should be more open to this as a negotiating leverage give point. Player will probably want to go somewhere they can start and where the media doesn’t hate their existence by that point anyways. Why go through the whole song and dance of needing to waive a no trade clause when you would anyways.
Give him a NMC until he's 35, I'm sure he would be okay with it. None at all just seems like a bad idea from the player's perspective.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
A lot can change during the season but a lot of teams have issues or questions marks that could potentially drag to next year that I can see driving his price up and offer Igor a ridiculous contract if he does his usual season and doesn’t fall of a cliff.

- Vegas doesn’t have a goalie signed for next year and always in on big name players and find ways to make it work regardless of their cap.

- Toronto is already having issues with Woll not being healthy and been chasing magic beans in net since Anderson left. The cap space is there next year.

- Vancouver has Demko but might have health issues. Cap issues are there but ways around it if they want him bad enough.

-Colorado needs a goalie if Georgiev doesn’t turn around. The cap space is there if Landy goes LTIR retirement or Nuke contracts gets terminated.

- Edmonton always has questions with Skinner. Especially if he implodes and they don’t have a run like last year. Something drastic would have to happen with their cap situation but it might also be last chance with Mcdavid so something drastic might have to happen there depending how they do this year.

- Detroit might be a team under the radar that would be after him. Only have Talbot signed for next year, Costa is not ready and Husso probably won’t be their solution.

I don’t expect all these teams goalie situations to stay the same all season but a lot of other teams don’t have stable goaltending. You may think a goalie is not worth that much but it might more be very few goalies are worth that due to very few elite goalies in the league and Igor is one of them which also drives his market up.

It’s rare for a goalie like him would go to free agency. Bob did and it was on a time I think the goalie market wasn’t that hot and he got paid still. Igor agent definitely sees the potential market for his client hoping to drive up his price more if he had a bidding war in free agency or uses it as threat to the rangers to squeeze out more money. It might be ridiculous still paying him that much or more but wouldn’t be the first time the league started overpaying for a certain role which seems to be a starting trend for goalies now, especially with the cap finally rising.
Is Sundin slowly transforming into a giant penis like Dune?

Jan 21, 2018
I just don’t understand why New York isn’t signing Shesterkin to a contract below market value.

It’s so easy for Zito to do this in Florida. And it was so easy for Steve Yzerman to do this in Tampa. Can someone please explain why New York can’t do the same thing?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Zibanejad was a complete ghost v NJ, absolute dogshit v Florida and had the cataclysmic turnover that changed the series in game 4, started off like shit in 2022 until he got hot late v Pittsburgh and carried through till, gee shocker, he stopped scoring v TB as the series went further. I don't care if you think Zibanejad is good or not but if you nutted up and paid him as a franchise 1C then it's absolutely dumb to ignore Shesterkin. Also if you think the norm is his 21-22 season where he should've won the Hart trophy for the best goalie season then that's a you issue not understanding how tremendous that year was. If he's .915-.920 and a monster in the playoffs then the contract is already worth it. Florida last year proved you can win with a goalie with a double digit cap hit, you just can't have awful anchors on the skater side which the Rangers have.
He makes less than Timo Meier, do you consider Meier your franchise left winger? He is a fairly paid 1C that isn't considered a "franchise" player by any means. Labels aside, I don't think its very wise for ANY team to commit to a 29 year old goalie for 8 years at a record setting contract

Where was that great team in the series vs Florida? Why was it just Shesterkin who tried to win the series?
Nobody was beating Florida this year, from the deadline on it was pretty apparent they were the top dog. You could have added McDavid to the Rangers and they still probably would have lost

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I just don’t understand why New York isn’t signing Shesterkin to a contract below market value.

It’s so easy for Zito to do this in Florida. And it was so easy for Steve Yzerman to do this in Tampa. Can someone please explain why New York can’t do the same thing?
You're alluding to taxes right

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Igor: 2.58/.913
vs
Quick: 2.62/.911

got to pay a 12 million dollar premium for that extra .04/.002
Let's not forget when 3 games are in 4 nights. Shesterkin is playing 2 of them. He will most likely play the tougher competition in the back to back as well.

If you consider him in line with Price/Bobrovsky when they got their big deals, he should be getting $12M or 13M. Not everyone wants to give a discount and that's their right.
Agreed.

The 3 highest paid goalies ever 2/3 won cups and the other made the final.

I wouldnt even give him that. He will play a max of 75ish% of the games. The difference between a great goalie vs an elite goalie is not worth the extra 3-5mil a year. If he has a down year he sinks the team with that cap hit. Look at the damage Bob did in Florida during his down years.

52 games x 60 minutes = 3,120 minutes
82 games x 20 minutes = 1,640 minutes

Goalies still pull way more than their share of the ice time in a season vs skaters.
Yep they play more

I definitely can see NMC for 6 years.

Something structured like Swaymans last 2 years.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Igor already have NYR a break on the last contract. Hes their best and most important player by a mile (and that’s not to say they don’t have other excellent players). He wants his money and the Rangers can make room for it, it’s just a question of whether they want to.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If he has another solid season Igor should end up getting 12.25 per. NY gonna have to make some tough decisions next year when Laf, Miller and Lindgren are up for new contracts. Gonna end up HAVING to dump Trouba with a first to wherever he wants to go.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
If he has another solid season Igor should end up getting 12.25 per. NY gonna have to make some tough decisions next year when Laf, Miller and Lindgren are up for new contracts. Gonna end up HAVING to dump Trouba with a first to wherever he wants to go.
Easy: Re-sign Lafreniere and Miller. Dump Trouba and let Lindgren walk. Schneider takes Trouba's spot and Mancini takes Schneider's spot. Also Kakko might be traded for extra cap space and hopefully can be replaced by Othmann or Berard.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Easy: Re-sign Lafreniere and Miller. Dump Trouba and let Lindgren walk. Schneider takes Trouba's spot and Mancini takes Schneider's spot. Also Kakko might be traded for extra cap space and hopefully can be replaced by Othmann or Berard.
Laf and Miller probably gonna cost about 14-15 per season. Dumping Trouba is integral.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad