Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Cap will be very close to 92.400 when Shesty's contract kicks in next year.

The top paid goalies:
Price's first year was 13.21% of the cap
Bob's was 12.27%
Vasi's was 11.66%

A few superstar forwards that seem relevant, without aiming too high:
Panarin was 14.29%
Tavares was 13.84%
Seguin was 12.09%

Given this, 13% doesn't seem that outlandish, does it?
That would essentially be 12.000 per year.

Note: I'm using percentages for when the contract kicked in, and not the cap when it was signed. There may be a discrepancy with what you find online for this reason.

The problem is when a goalie is playing sub-par, you can't just shuffle them to the 2nd line. When you're $11million/year goalie sucks, the whole team is sunk.

You've taken 3 success stories, but ignored all the awful goalie contracts. Even then, Bob had years where everyone was talking about his contract as one of the league's worst. Vasi is coming off an awful year. Price....well that didn't exactly work out well.

The other major issue with goalies is that they are also far more prone to career ending injuries, or at the very least injuries that make them far less effective.

IMO $11 x 8 years has the potential to handicap the Rangers in a huge way and is a massive risk. Shesterkin is nuts for not taking it. The odd of him making it to age 38, while still being a top level goaltender, are very low.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just to keep something in mind, the reality is that $11m is less than Lundqvist's big contract. Lundqvist signed for $8.5m against a $69m cap. So his cap hit % was 12.3%. Next year's cap will be at least $92.5m, and 12.3% of that is $11.38m.

Not only that, it's likely to going to skyrocket after that. Right now these current $4.5 million-ish rises in the cap are about the maximum stipulated by the return to play CBA signed in 2020 due to COVID.

But that contract expires at the end of the 25-26 season and it's almost a 100% given the NHLPA will demand a return to regular cap tied directly to revenue as it had been pre-COVID which will take the cap easily north of $105 million quickly.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If he goes to free agency, he can only sign a 7 year and this is very likely his last contract.

11m x 8 is better than 12m x 7 and that’s assuming anyone else would sign him to more at max as a 30 year old free agent. Most of the teams with room are bottom feeders and the winning teams have their guy.

Sometimes these agents do more harm than good. Igor is either really dumb or wants out of New York and is willing to lose millions to leave.
Last big contract.

He'll turn 36 during the last year of a 7 year deal, so there's probably at least a 2 x something type deal after that if the's still fairly good.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The highest paid kicker this year makes $6.4M AAV on a $255.5M salary cap, which is about 2.5% of the cap, which would be $2.2M of an $88M NHL cap.

Has to be one of the worst jobs in all of sports. So much pressure. All it takes is being off by a very slight amount to have an entire fanbase calling for your head.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Just a flat out stupid decision to turn that down. No other word to describe it. Unless he just doesn’t wanna play there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just a flat out stupid decision to turn that down. No other word to describe it. Unless he just doesn’t wanna play there.

It's not stupid. He and his agent know the cap is going to be $105+ million soon. You'd be stupid to take a deal based on a $88 million cap, even 92 million cap knowing that that cap number is artificially restricted due to COVID.

NHL revenues are already way, way, way higher, when the cap eventually has to go back to being linked to hockey related revenue, it's going to skyrocket.

People act like these guys are being stupid, they're not. Your agent would be an idiot and should be fired if he's not telling you this stuff.

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
Not a huge fan of the Rangers leaking this. What's the goal? Have the fans sour on him for leverage?
Yeah, that'll happen but is it worth putting that on your top guy in a contending year... Seems rash.

Reactions: Daz28

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
seems like a decision made for reasons other than money, obviously. weird...I'd personally consider playing in new york worth putting up with a bunch of crap i normally wouldn't, especially at that salary/term. Maybe just wants to live on the beach, play in Florida?

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
NHL Players are starting to become like the other major sports. Greed as F. How much do you need to be paid to play a sport you love? Feel so bad for the fans because it's become too expensive to go watch a game for most folks. Owners making tons so I understand players want their share but it's ludicrous. If these numbers are true let him walk he can go back to Russia and play for a fraction of what he was offered.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
The problem is when a goalie is playing sub-par, you can't just shuffle them to the 2nd line. When you're $11million/year goalie sucks, the whole team is sunk.

You've taken 3 success stories, but ignored all the awful goalie contracts. Even then, Bob had years where everyone was talking about his contract as one of the league's worst. Vasi is coming off an awful year. Price....well that didn't exactly work out well.

The other major issue with goalies is that they are also far more prone to career ending injuries, or at the very least injuries that make them far less effective.

IMO $11 x 8 years has the potential to handicap the Rangers in a huge way and is a massive risk. Shesterkin is nuts for not taking it. The odd of him making it to age 38, while still being a top level goaltender, are very low.
He already has 3 seasons of 930 sv percentage in the playoffs and a Vezina win. He 100% has earned a 12-13 million dollar contract, this idea he would fall off can literally be applied to any player you sign.

The Rangers aren't going to fall short of a cup based on saving 2-3 million from his contract. At the end of the day you have to pay your top end players.

lol i would let him walk. It sure would hurt but man goalies in todays hockey are not worth 12m-14m. Man we going Draisailt and Mcdavid money for a goalie , this is crazy.
People keep saying stuff like this as if you can lump all goalies together, the guy has had 3 930 sv percentage playoffs and a Vezina win, he's not some Swayman who has accomplished nothing or even like Bobrovsky who had no runs when he got his massive contract. Shesty is a legit bonafide stud and has done everything to prove that.

It's also funny because the Panthers literally won with Bob proving you actually can pay a goalie a ton and win, hell even Price almost willed a borderline playoff team to the finals, proving once again that elite goalies actually deserve to get paid.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

You play him through it or put him on IR. There’s always downside to any big contract. Look at Huberdeau.

The upside is Conn Smythe worthy performances in the postseason. You have to weigh the pros and cons.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've never been a big fan of signing goalies to big dollars, and I think this guy in the best in the league...

10M is realistically the highest you can go, I know Price got 10.5M so many years ago but he was *the team* essentially.

NYR actually surrounded Shesterkin with a decent team.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That’s a shame. Would hate to lose him from those bright lights of Broadway and jeopardize his place in the Canyon of Heroes.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not only that, it's likely to going to skyrocket after that. Right now these current $4.5 million-ish rises in the cap are about the maximum stipulated by the return to play CBA signed in 2020 due to COVID.

But that contract expires at the end of the 25-26 season and it's almost a 100% given the NHLPA will demand a return to regular cap tied directly to revenue as it had been pre-COVID which will take the cap easily north of $105 million quickly.

We had this debate a ton recently and you still don’t know what you’re talking about. At least it’s consistent.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The NHL doesn't make sense now. The cap does good and bad, but if I'm being honest what needs to be done is a flat cap which isn't affected by taxes as it's a bonus structure where teams make trades to which doesn't affect where they play. For example, teams that are getting more stars as low-taxed states because they can make more money with $9M as opposed to $15M in California.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If you consider him in line with Price/Bobrovsky when they got their big deals, he should be getting $12M or 13M. Not everyone wants to give a discount and that's their right.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Dear lord,

I do not ask you for much but this time it's really important to me.

Please let the Rags sign their goalie to a 8 year 13M contract. I won't ask you to make him suck after he signs because that is fated to happen regardless.

You may ask, "why do this to the Rags"? They are one of those hockey markets with all of the advantages and they clearly deserve to be knocked down a notch.

If you grant me this wish I promise to sacrifice something or build something in your honor - dieties choice!

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I wouldnt even give him that. He will play a max of 75ish% of the games. The difference between a great goalie vs an elite goalie is not worth the extra 3-5mil a year. If he has a down year he sinks the team with that cap hit. Look at the damage Bob did in Florida during his down years.

Reactions: WhataKnight

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Not at all. If a team is trying to give you this offer, it means they wanna lock you in before you start getting more expensive. If Shesterkin has a sub 2 gaa, and 94sv% season, you'd be calling him a dummy for signing a contract this early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad