Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Do you need a list of more goalies that played a high level late into their career? Do you need to see the chart citing statistical peaks for skaters?
I mean you can have players in any position prove they aged well.
Still doesn’t show that goalies age better than other players.

Canuckle

West Coast Express
Feb 20, 2008
He's the best goalie in the league and wants to be paid like one. In many ways, it's harder to find an elite goalie than a defenseman much less a forward. He wants his bag and I don't blame him.

Reactions: NVious

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Heres the crazy part to me. The most term another team can give is 7 years. So hes banking on that he’ll be able to get $13 aav over 7 years for $91 mill total. He aint leaving here for $3mm more. Hold firm on the offer and if he has a down year, lower the offer

Only because you are looking in a vacuum. NY's state and local tax is over 14%. Florida is 0%. Texas is 0%. Philly has a state and local tax of 7%. Boston is 9%.

In New York he makes $5,225,000 a year after taxes or $41,800,000 after taxes over 8 years.

In Dallas for example, he would make $12M more on that same $88M.

Plus if we are being honest, a 7 year contract at $91M is even better than an 8 year contract at $11M.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
A team literally just won a year ago with a journeyman backup, and no, I would not pay the top goalie in the league what the likes of Matthews/Draisaitl/MacKinnon/McDavid/Makar are getting/will be getting.
yeah might be true but he could have easily lost it for them too, im not saying all goalies deserve that kinda pay but some do
rejecting 11m is pretty crazy though, he must not wanna be in NYR anymore or something

...and how many of the top goalies in the league actually win the Cup? A well-constructed team that has depth can absolutely win without blowing their wad on a goalie.
well not everyone can win every year, constructing a team is on the GM, a player's job is to get paid or let his agent get him paid. rejecting 11m is pretty crazy thats more then Id wanna pay for a goalie but I cant see any reason why Price, Bob and Vasi deserved 10 or more but Shesterkin doesn't. also cap is gone up alot and will continue to rise moving forward

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
He is, because of how easily injuries occur - look at Demko for example, if the injury he has sustained happened to Igor where they're saying he's going to have to deal with it for the rest of his career, that has to affect his value significantly + his play might drop
But if you think NYR will go up to $13m aav per your other post, then that would make Shesterkin very smart. If an injury like that can plague a career, then it would be smart for the player to sign the deal of their lifetime before it happens.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
This management is inept and incompetent.
Should have already traded him... now most competitive teams have no cap space.
Rangers need to get whatever they can for him. Should be able to get a few top prospects. Columbus may be a good trading partner.
Trade him now!

• Haha
Reactions: _habsfan9

its not that serious

Mar 7, 2024
According to PuckPedia, Shesterkin's agent, Maxim Moliver, has only one other NHL client under contract. None of us can say for certain whether it will or will not have an impact, but I imagine it could have implications on the process. Possibly irrelevant at the end of the day, but I find that interesting.

If the Rangers have already made this offer, they've shown they're willing to make Igor the highest paid goalie... that's as much of a show of good faith and interest as you can get. I think they can stand pat until Igor and his agent agree to more or less the same deal at some point later down the road. Any details that are changed between then and now would probably not be the kind to impact AAV substantially.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I mean you can have players in any position prove they aged well.
Still doesn’t show that goalies age better than other players.
On average, goalies tend to peak later and top end goalies (we're not talking journeymen) maintain that level for higher.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Kind of crazy to reject that unless he really wants out. What if he had a bad or even just average year? There’s no way that offer can get any better it can only get worse.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I don't think the offer goes down no matter what (realistically) happens in the regular season

He can have a .910 again and the offer will still be the same. Shesterkin is not being paid because of the regular season, he is being paid because of how incredibly valuable he is in the playoffs. This isn't to say he sucks or isn't good in the regular season, he just doesn't dominate his peers as much as he does in the playoffs

This is a dude who put up a .930+ in the first round and lost beacuse his best forward had 2 points in 7 games.

His worst ever series in his career is a .910 against pittsburgh...in his first playoff appearance ever.

He has had a .930+ in 5 series's and has lost 3 of them. He knows without him the rangers are dead in the water come playoff time. With the rangers paying panarin for his routine ghost performances, then surely shesterkin thinks he is worth more than him, and I would tend to agree.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Only because you are looking in a vacuum. NY's state and local tax is over 14%. Florida is 0%. Texas is 0%. Philly has a state and local tax of 7%. Boston is 9%.

In New York he makes $5,225,000 a year after taxes or $41,800,000 after taxes over 8 years.

Plus if we are being honest, a 7 year contract at $91M is even better than an 8 year contract at $11M.
You do understand that he gets charged taxes when he plays out of state, right? It is not the simple math you are making it out to be.

Reactions: triggrman

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015

Rich people can always get out from taxation.

Taxes.png

Reactions: Breakers

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It's beginning to look a lot like lockout, all around the league 🎶

Just like last time.. the rich teams like the Rangers, Habs and Leafs that aren't likely to lose gate revenue when they hike prices are also going to be the ones handing out bloated deals like this one. It's going to be next to impossible for Columbus, Anaheim, Calgary and Winnipeg to continue with the cap going straight up due to madcap contracts for goalies of all people.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
At this point, if I'm New York I let this season playoff and leave Shesterkin to UFA if only as a bargaining tool. I don't think there's a single team willing to pay him 12M. Yes, he's an incredible goalie but putting that much salary in net would severely handicap pretty much any team.

The thing about goalies is, there are only 32 starting positions available in the NHL. If you can get a "decent" goalie for 2mil, and a great goalie for 11mil, is the difference really worth 8mil? That's the question, and I'm just not so sure for goalies...

Relating that to my team, if Demko wanted 11mil, and we could have Silovs for 0.85mil, I take Silovs and an additional 10.15mil of roster depth.

This is my stance as well. Silovs is an obvious step down from Demko right now but over an eight year span? Who knows. It's certainly not worth a 10M difference.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Never would I've offered that contract to Shesty in the first place if I were the NYR

Shesty is a fool for refusing it if it's true

The top price I'd pay for a goalie would be 8M, at best

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Kind of crazy to reject that unless he really wants out. What if he had a bad or even just average year? There’s no way that offer can get any better it can only get worse.
That's my thinking also. Say he wins the Stanley Cup, how much more does he think he can demand? If he has an average year there is no chance the $11m is on the table from anyone. Crazy rejection in my opinion, I don't offer anything close to that if I'm the Rangers. I 100% am on board with letting him walk

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The thing that's surprising me is how much the media seems to be willing to opine about things like 'if he goes to market,' it just seems like it's too early to make that a big deal, but we also just went through that with Pettersson

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Goalie market is being reset. You have a top Goaltender that you don't want to lose, you pay him like you do every other top player. Why should arguably the game's best goaltender take less than Will Nye with one 10th place in point finishes as his high watermark before signing?
Exactly. And that's how it should be. Every time a top goalies gets a renewal, they should milk it for all they can. They win more games, by themselves, than any other position out there, by far, and regularly take hope Conn Smythe-s. Yep, it's a gamble for teams, salary and ability wise. And goalie is voodoo has become such a common refrain, we all might now believe no goalies might be worth investing in, with $$ and term. So they have to seize their opportunity, given their position as poor cousins in the salary cap lottery thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad