Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I mean, you can keep pretending teams like Anaheim/Buffalo/Detroit/Montreal/Ottawa/Utah can't afford this, but they absolutely can.

Between him and Weber they managed to take a team that shouldn't even have been in the playoffs to an SCF.
They can afford him but will they sign him to 12 or 13 mil contract? Not sure about that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I saw this argument a lot with the Swayman stuff. It kinda falls apart if you look at toral TOI for a season. A goalie starting 60 games will play 3600 minutes. A top center or dman playing 25 minutes a night for a full season would play for 2050 minutes.

Neither way is necessarily the right or wrong way to look at it.
How many of those 3,600 minutes is he just standing there while his team is on the offense.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How many of those 3,600 minutes is he just standing there while his team is on the offense.
Consider how great they're 5 on 5 and getting out the zone, maybe not a whole lot, even if he was just standing there... But more often than not he's engaged in the game and helping the defense transition with his puck movement when a team gets the puck deep with no icing. I'm not for paying him that much but this is kinda' silly to argue against it based on the puck being in the O zone for a percentage of his playing time.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
How many of the 2050 minutes is the defenseman standing on blue line while the play is in the opposite corner? You could make that argument for any position. Not all 10 skaters are in on the play every second they're on the ice.

Reactions: 1989

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The aging curve of goalies and UFA status timing just makes it a lot weirder than skaters. So most of the guys took bridges to get to “more proven”. But then, yes, it’s a risky contract because all these guys like Saros, Helly and Shesty are 29 when getting a new deal. Goalies can age better, but are also more prone to an injury. Swayman’s deal has its own set of risks because he isn’t proven yet because goalies at 25 rarely have a body of work to point to. It’s going to be interesting how it all plays out.
Just mentioning it.

The proven to now proven but now your this age.

It's a tough market for Goalies and I do think Goalies have been shafted. If I am a great hockey player and I can play goalie or forward I'd pick forward since Goalies do not make as much.

I think Shesterkin needs it to be atleast 11.62 to be above Panarin if he stays.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
They'll offer 8x$11.5 and he'll take it. That's basically the Panarin contract if you swap the extra year for inflation.

He impacts the game just as much if not more than prime Panarin, I'm ok with $11.5.

Anything more and he can f*** off to a tax free state for $12.5. You simply can't allocate that much to a goalie.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Consider how great they're 5 on 5 and getting out the zone, maybe not a whole lot, even if he was just standing there... But more often than not he's engaged in the game and helping the defense transition with his puck movement when a team gets the puck deep with no icing. I'm not for paying him that much but this is kinda' silly to argue against it based on the puck being in the O zone for a percentage of his playing time.
How many of the 2050 minutes is the defenseman standing on blue line while the play is in the opposite corner? You could make that argument for any position. Not all 10 skaters are in on the play every second they're on the ice.
Maybe, but it's still a bit disingenuous to say that he's affecting the game all of those minutes.

His ice time value is probably more like a defenseman that plays A LOT.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
no someone like Shesterkin is worth that, I dunno how people actually sit there and say the most important position for any hockey team isnt worth getting paid.
Goalies deserve top pay just like the top skaters and Dman.

The problem is goalie is also the most volatile position in hockey.

Granted, there is a top tier of 3-5 consistently elite goalies in the NHL and Igor is in that group... But the elite goalies in the league tend to fall off more in their mid 30s than the elite skaters.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don’t get the outrage here.

NHL insiders have been reporting his next deal will start with an 11 or 12. Most seem to think it will be high 11’s.

So he rejects the lowest offer (11.0) that isn’t a crazy low ball (something in the 10’s or below) and it’s some big news? This is standard negotiating.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The problem is goalie is also the most volatile position in hockey.

Granted, there is a top tier of 3-5 consistently elite goalies in the NHL and Igor is in that group.
still the top goalies deserve to get paid the same as everyone u can have the best team in the world but if ur goalie cant stop the puck u lose. so really goalies are the most important position

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
no someone like Shesterkin is worth that, I dunno how people actually sit there and say the most important position for any hockey team isnt worth getting paid.
Goalies deserve top pay just like the top skaters and Dman.
...and how many of the top goalies in the league actually win the Cup? A well-constructed team that has depth can absolutely win without blowing their wad on a goalie.

Reactions: jj cale

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
still the top goalies deserve to get paid the same as everyone u can have the best team in the world but if ur goalie cant stop the puck u lose. so really goalies are the most important position

A team literally just won a year ago with a journeyman backup, and no, I would not pay the top goalie in the league what the likes of Matthews/Draisaitl/MacKinnon/McDavid/Makar are getting/will be getting.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Well with more time to think on it, NY probably should sign him to 12 or so. He is their best chance to win a cup and he is THAT good. They would not get a good deal if they traded him.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
We're doomed. f***ing hell I was 3 years old the last time Rangers won the cup.

I'll probably die before seeing them winning another cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad