Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
This is kind of a ridiculous way to frame paying a fringe Top 5 player in the league because he's on the same team as the best player since Gretzky/Lemieux...
I just want the Rangers to outdo Toronto with the cap allocation. Use max contracts on 4 then watch it all implode.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Get Grier on the phone. Who else can afford 12M and build a reasonable roster around it in a way that lets them “park the barge” first and then “bring the small motorboats” in so no one gets killed?

Shesty + for Askarov in a sign & trade. Askarov gets thrown into the NHL and Igor gets paid without forcing anyone to dismantle their roster/cap structure. Everyone wins. :laugh:

The likes of Anaheim/Buffalo/Columbus/Detroit/Montreal/Ottawa/Utah all have their cores either locked up cheap/market or on ELCs and could make it work over the next 2-3 years while the cap inflates.

SHOULD they? Maybe not. But doesn't mean they can't.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Don't like this. But don't feel like Rangers have much advantage here. Everyone's getting older, your contending now. Picks and prospects won't help in a trade. Kinda just got to accept the shitty situation and hope the Rangers can make something out of it

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I think that makes it pretty clear he doesn’t want to sign there
Agreed. He’s probably sick of carrying them and wants to join a team with an actually elite roster. All he had to do was take a look at how Lundqvist wasted his career there

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
puckpedia.com
Agreed. He’s probably sick of carrying them and wants to join a team with an actually elite roster. All he had to do was take a look at how Lundqvist wasted his career there
>sick of carrying them and wants to join a team with an actually elite roster
Name a team with an "elite roster" that can contend for a Cup AND pay a 12M franchise tender right now

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I would agree with this, and yet agents have continued to let young players sign 7-8 year deals at market rates rather than taking bridges and maximizing value like you'd think they should.
Many young guys are really eager to get long-term contracts in place. They want to know they have financial security locked up, are likely a bit more on the risk averse side of things financially and want stability in knowing where they're spending the next 8 years.

Frankly, a lot of the young guys are making Negative EV moves to not bet on themselves more. Auston Matthews gets it and is willing to take small risks for more upside. He's likely going to make a lot more money when his career is done.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
he's probably the most important player on the Rangers and he's at the very top of the goaltending ladder right now but realistically what team is paying him much more than that? What team says they are only a $12.5 million dollar goaltender (over 7 years) away from the cup?
No team will pay him 12 mil per year. Not even in KHL, so he will sign for 11 mil or nothing

Reactions: My3Sons

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No team will pay him 12 mil per year. Not even in KHL, so he will sign for 11 mil or nothing
Draisaitl just got $14 million for a contract that kicks in at same time. There is of course some risk given the positional volatility of goaltending, but he can wait it out and count on another good start to the season to indicate he should be paid closer to other top players.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think this is the issue.

Swayman you are unproven you are only 25 take a short term cheap deal to prove yourself or take 8x8.

Shesterkin you are older you can't be worth this number after you proved yourself.

Panarin is at 11.6

Shesterkin is more important than Panarin so he should be expecting more. 11.7 or 11.8 for 8 years

The aging curve of goalies and UFA status timing just makes it a lot weirder than skaters. So most of the guys took bridges to get to “more proven”. But then, yes, it’s a risky contract because all these guys like Saros, Helly and Shesty are 29 when getting a new deal. Goalies can age better, but are also more prone to an injury. Swayman’s deal has its own set of risks because he isn’t proven yet because goalies at 25 rarely have a body of work to point to. It’s going to be interesting how it all plays out.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
This is hilarious, in the Swayman thread I had this quote.

The best part is that this is over and this thread will slowly sink while something new and annoying will go to the top.

Hooray.........

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If you don't think Igor could get $12M on the UFA market, I have a bridge to sell you.

There is always one GM. Always.
12 Million where? Columbus? 😅 so you would take 12 mil to play in 3rd world place columbus or 11 million to live in Manhattan or upper side NY with a contender team that will make you more due to sponsorships and media coverage? No other teams i can see will off that, especially none of the playoff teams

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Draisaitl just got $14 million for a contract that kicks in at same time. There is of course some risk given the positional volatility of goaltending, but he can wait it out and count on another good start to the season to indicate he should be paid closer to other top players.
Draisaitl is one of the top 5 players in the league, and probably top 3. Shesterkin is not a top 5 player and goalies dont ever get max contracts like franchise centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad