Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Oilers

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I understand the sentiment from last year, but this is just a weird time to be criticizing bottom-six scoring.
Glass is on pace for 27 even-strength points, playing a measly 9 mins at ES a night and getting extremely heavy defensive allocation. On top of that, he's one of the few players defending well on a 31st GA/G ranked team.
I'll put it this way: If you had 3 guys performing like Glass is right now all year on the 4th line and on the PK, you'll have the most productive 4th line in the NHL and your PK will likely rank among the tops in the league.
Obviously it's a 9-game sample, but he deserves credit for what he's done so far. They've helped get us points a few times now.

If you wanna talk about moving the needle, you should focus on the guys who are playing well below their cap hits. Bunting, Crosby, Letang, Karlsson, Jarry, Pettersson, Rust. Graves 4.5M on the 3rd pair.
They are the real reason we're losing.
I agree with pretty much everything you're saying.

This org's problem is they love the italicized part of your post and skip over the bolded part.

My point was this roster sorely needed a change to the Bunting/Crosby/Letang/Jarry/Rust but instead just added 3x Blake Lizotte and called it a day.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think you forgot a zero after the 3 for Sullivan.
1729965304302.png

Actually it has been 49 years, five months. Seven more months to half a century.

We are spoiled complaining about the last three years.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Somehow I doubt FSG is cool with losing. Patience during turbulent times is admirable. But enough is enough and I’m thinking they and Dubas will realize that soon
As long as they own the developmental rights to the old civic arena site, they’re gonna be happy on their investment.

The team is just another asset in their portfolio. The year to year, day to day doesn’t matter to them. As long as the overall value of NHL franchises keeps going up over a 10-20 year period, they aren’t going to sweat the team sucking. This is an investment firm, not an actual human owner who maybe influenced by things like winning championships.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As long as they own the developmental rights to the old civic arena site, they’re gonna be happy on their investment.

The team is just another asset in their portfolio. The year to year, day to day doesn’t matter to them. As long as the overall value of NHL franchises keeps going up over a 10-20 year period, they aren’t going to sweat the team sucking. This is an investment firm, not an actual human owner who maybe influenced by things like winning championships.
Isn't there a limit on how many of those owners who only care about maximum profits and nothing about the fans or city a single city can have?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Isn't there a limit on how many of those owners who only care about maximum profits and nothing about the fans or city a single city can have?
Just wait until we hit a generation of Rooneys who don’t care about football and sell the team to whatever online gambling entity comes up with the highest bid.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The thing is, they can't be making much money can they? There's an embarrassing amount of empty seats at PPG nowadays and the NHL's stupid splitting of tv rights has caused big viewership drops.

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
Last year’s Cup Finals had some of the highest ratings in the salary cap era.
No it didn't. It's a falsely inflated coup by the NHL to act like it's getting more views.

The year before was such a massive drop that its forgotten that two years prior, they had similar viewership. So last season was just matching the 2021-22 finals at best. 2022-23 was awful. 2023-24 was back to the 2021-22 level.

And still, it was ass compared to the NFL, NBA, and MLB.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Until Facebook pens fans turn on Sully, he'll still be here. It's dumb but I haven't noticed a coaching change in the past decade in a half occur until they broke.
I'm seeing quite a few fire Sullivans in the comments on Facebook. Same thing with Reddit. If those two sites are finally coming around on something you know you're several years too late

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Sid and Sullivan's extensions run out the same time. I could see Sullivan walking at that point. Don't know if FSG has it in them to fire their golden boy. I can already see the "We have mutually parted ways with Coach Sullivan" tweet

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Sullivan's here until he doesn't want to be. That's the sad reality. Sid wanting him gone gets him gone within minutes of the news reaching FSG, but Sid's not the kind of dude to stick his chest out like that imo.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think Sullivan's here until he doesn't want to be. That's the sad reality. Sid wanting him gone gets him gone within minutes of the news reaching FSG, but Sid's not the kind of dude to stick his chest out like that imo.
Sid doesn't directly call for his coaches heads. He does it by playing like dog shit on the ice. He's very passive aggressive about how he gets his coaches fired. :laugh:

That is what he's doing right now though. Hasn't played this disengaged and careless since MJ.

I'm not sure I see Sully getting fired unless the Pens lose like 10 in a row or something though. They might very well do that the way they're playing.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid doesn't directly call for his coaches heads. He does it by playing like dog shit on the ice. He's very passive aggressive about how he gets his coaches fired. :laugh:

That is what he's doing right now though. Hasn't played this disengaged and careless since MJ.

I'm not sure I see Sully getting fired unless the Pens lose like 10 in a row or something though. They might very well do that the way they're playing.
Sid's a weird case, man. I don't think he's as bad as he's shown, and he's definitely just out there for a skate sometimes, but I gotta wonder if part of it is a 37 year old whose body has a ton of miles on it, who has genuinely zero help on the wings.

Huge part of it is mental though, imo. And I'm not sure a 10 game losing streak gets Sullivan fired. I'd like to hope, but they also extended the guy two years before his current deal was even up after the team's fourth consecutive 1st round exit, so you never know with this stupid f***ing organization. :laugh:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Until Facebook pens fans turn on Sully, he'll still be here. It's dumb but I haven't noticed a coaching change in the past decade in a half occur until they broke.
The real canary in the coal mine is when noted Sully fluffer and water carrier for all things related to the Penguins organization and brand, Josh Yohe, tweets negative things about him between sad solo fast food meals.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The real canary in the coal mine is when noted Sully fluffer and water carrier for all things related to the Penguins organization and brand, Josh Yohe, tweets negative things about him between sad solo fast food meals.
This is the correct take. Once the local folks, particularly bootlickers like Yohe, start to openly question Sullivan's coaching or job status--it's over. The wheels are already in motion and the decision's been made.

Reactions: SomeDude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad