Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Caps | win | Geno redemption goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Exactly…if that’s the team concept in the third period, maybe more players need to freelance lol

The guy just won you the game. I guess players like Carter and Dumo are the only beneficiaries of impassioned soliloquies by the coach after playing like utter turds for 3/4 of a season, eh? I guess they "bought into the system." Hey maybe that's part of the reason they're so horrible!

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
As far as I can tell the team "concept" for protecting leads is having all players stay low in an attempt to protect (badly) the areas closes to the net. Of course, in today's NHL you are doomed if you don't press the opponent's blueliners as much as you can and preferrably defend well in the neutral zone too but this seems to be lost on our genius coach. It's either the Pens killing teams with forecheck or hanging on for dear life because we can't defend properly in our half of the ice.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As far as I can tell the team "concept" for protecting leads is having all players stay low in an attempt to protect (badly) the areas closes to the net. Of course, in today's NHL you are doomed if you don't press the opponent's blueliners as much as you can and preferrably defend well in the neutral zone too but this seems to be lost on our genius coach. It's either the Pens killing teams with forecheck or hanging on for dear life because we can't defend properly in our half of the ice.

We all know that simply forfeiting 2/3rds of the ice to your opponent and practically waving them into your zone is a recipe for success. You have to think of the three guys basically just farting around idle at our own blueline more like ushers for the other team than defenders for ours.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Reminds me of that line,

"I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once
As I ever was"

That was vintage Geno.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Wasn't Malkin pretty good in all three zones in this one? How often does this coach EVER call out any player?

Doesn't at all sit right with me.
yes he had a good game and saved some great scoring chances with good backchecking.

The only play in question was his penalty which he was sticking up for teammates and getting punched in the face so fired back, I was fine with the penalty but it absolutely should have went both ways. I understand the game and its usually the second man that gets the penalty but this was clearly a situation where both players should have been taken off

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Reminds me of that line,

"I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once
As I ever was"

That was vintage Geno.

Dude is 6th in the league in takeaways this year.

I thought that was interesting. Especially considering all the flak his own team's fans and now the coach give him for "playing stupid" or whatever. Also over 50% in the circle this year FWIW.

yes he had a good game and saved some great scoring chances with good backchecking.

The only play in question was his penalty which he was sticking up for teammates and getting punched in the face so fired back, I was fine with the penalty but it absolutely should have went both ways. I understand the game and its usually the second man that gets the penalty but this was clearly a situation where both players should have been taken off

I wish MORE players on this team were willing to punch a massive clown like Wilson in the mush.

This team never standing up for each other is one of the things that makes them so unlikeable. So I'm more than fine with that.

Last edited:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

I thought that was interesting. Especially considering all the flak his own team's fans and now the coach give him for "playing stupid" or whatever. Also over 50% in the circle this year FWIW.
And a beautiful takeaway it was. Very stealthy. "I'll just grab that from you, thank you." Mantha never saw it coming.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Truth be told, Geno has been fairly good at take aways this year, but unfortunately he has more giveaways than take aways. At one point that I remember it was 65 TA to 85/89 GA. I haven't looked lately.

It's a tale of two Geno's when you go game by game.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

I wish MORE players on this team were willing to punch a massive clown like Wilson in the mush.

This team never standing up for each other is one things that makes them so unlikeable. So I'm more than fine with that.
Tyler Kennedy has short segment weekly on THE FAN. Talking Pens hockey of course. And they asked him players sticking up for each. Specifically when Sid got abused the other day, (I forget the player that hit him high.) And not one player came to his defense.

"Yeah, it made me mad to see no reaction. I was watching the game with Max Talbot, and we were talking about it. That when we came into the league, we didn't want to fight guys or go running around. But we realized the difference in the AHL money and NHL money, and we didn't want to go back. I think these guys are missing that hunger it takes to stay in the league."

Also: "our bottom six is sooo vanilla." Asked if they make the playoffs, "Yes, never bet against Sid. Sid, Geno and Letting will carry this team, if that is what it takes to get in."

Bob Errey a bit later.

"And it's not like you have to go fight THAT guy. I realize that not everyone has that in them. But then you start running their stars. Get in their face."

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Tyler Kennedy has short segment weekly on THE FAN. Talking Pens hockey of course. And they asked him players sticking up for each. Specifically when Sid got abused the other day, (I forget the player that hit him high.) And not one player came to his defense.

"Yeah, it made me mad to see no reaction. I was watching the game with Max Talbot, and we were talking about it. That when we came into the league, we didn't want to fight guys or go running around. But we realized the difference in the AHL money and NHL money, and we didn't want to go back. I think these guys are missing that hunger it takes to stay in the league."

Also: "our bottom six is sooo vanilla." Asked if they make the playoffs, "Yes, never bet against Sid. Sid, Geno and Letting will carry this team, if that is what it takes to get in."

Bob Errey a bit later.

"And it's not like you have to go fight THAT guy. I realize that not everyone has that in them. But then you start running their stars. Get in their face."

I don't think anyone wants to see this team consistently lose it's cool and melt down any time an opposing player bumps them. But I also don't think we should have swung the pendulum this far in the other direction, either. Sometimes trying to be the "better man" and skating away just invites worse offenses.

Especially when your powerplay sucks ass and you're not likely to be proving any points that way.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
That was an emotional high! Even that last second save was reminiscent of the Fleury save against Detroit in the dying seconds.

Savor it like we just won the Stanley Cup.

Barring a miracle in the playoffs, this is one of the few high points we will get!

Giving DeSmith full props for really stepping up.

Glad Malkin was rewarded for one of his takeaways.

They really need to fix the PP. How many times are we going to say that?

Granlund sucks beyond belief :(.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Truth be told, Geno has been fairly good at take aways this year, but unfortunately he has more giveaways than take aways. At one point that I remember it was 65 TA to 85/89 GA. I haven't looked lately.

It's a tale of two Geno's when you go game by game.
Geno is tied for most giveaways in the league this year.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think anyone wants to see this team consistently lose it's cool and melt down any time an opposing player bumps them. But I also don't think we should have swung the pendulum this far in the other direction, either. Sometimes trying to be the "better man" and skating away just invites worse offenses.

Especially when your powerplay sucks ass and you're not likely to be proving any points that way.

There was a faceoff last night where Sid took a draw at center Ice I believe, faceoff done and puck gone, but he got cross checked well after it in the back knocking him down late and no call where that should have been an automatic one. It's kind of sad the ticky tacky calls that get called, but then ones where injury can happen or happened, noting. Petry one to the face is a huge one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There was a faceoff last night where Sid took a draw at center Ice I believe, faceoff done and puck gone, but he got cross checked well after it in the back knocking him down late and no call where that should have been an automatic one. It's kind of sad the ticky tacky calls that get called, but then ones where injury can happen or happened, nothing. Petry one to the face is a huge one.

NHL officiating is a humungous joke. A shitshow nightmare. A colossal failure. An egregious example of petty ego merging with incompetence.

And yet people pick and choose when to get mad at certain players for taking a penalty.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
NHL officiating is a humungous joke. A shitshow nightmare. A colossal failure. An egregious example of petty ego merging with incompetence.

And yet people pick and choose when to get mad at certain players for taking a penalty.

"Redemption goal." Pfffffft.
Yep. It's game management where it shouldn't be. It cost players games, the team the right to take control of a game (thinking of the Petry one should have been a double minor at least/could have been a 5 and a game), especially when the ref is looking right at it. There should be a way a team can call for one's that are missed or blatantly not called. I mean, the refs are allowed to review the one's they call to uphold or reduced their initial call of a 5 and a game. There needs to be a neutral party where they don't get the score or anything else except the play in question and make a ruling on that play alone. Which will never happen.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Have the give aways, take aways, tracking gotten any better? I know for years they were a garbage stat. NHL had no idea what they were recording.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yep. It's game management where it shouldn't be. It cost players games, the team the right to take control of a game (thinking of the Petry one should have been a double minor at least/could have been a 5 and a game), especially when the ref is looking right at it. There should be a way a team can call for one's that are missed or blatantly not called. I mean, the refs are allowed to review the one's they call to uphold or reduced their initial call of a 5 and a game. There needs to be a neutral party where they don't get the score or anything else except the play in question and make a ruling on that play alone. Which will never happen.

They're basically game fixers at this point. They have the ability to put their thumb on the scale when they want. Hell a lot of the fans even buy into it by calling it "game management" as if that somehow makes it any better.

All anyone needed to see was Crosby getting brained last year and everyone shrugging to realize where this league is on it's officiating.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Have the give aways, take aways, tracking gotten any better? I know for years they were a garbage stat. NHL had no idea what they were recording.

No.

Geno is tied for most giveaways in the league this year.

he's actually second behind Pasta. and in front of Panarin and Drai.

hm maybe giveaways don't mean much.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I much prefer my players to never try anything at all so that they don't turn the puck over, though.

One weird thing is we have 4 players playing 1000+ at 5v5. seems like part of Malkin's defensive issues may be the fact our coach plays our top six much more than most of the league plays their top 6 at 5v5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad