Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
On the topic of shots, one reason I was very high on Catton when we had the prospect of having a top 10 pick was because of his shot. He shoots in a way that doesn't look like the shot is coming at all. There's "sneaky" shots and then there's Catton and he takes it to a whole other level. There's just no "tell" that a shot is coming. Not every time but he has the tool to use now and then.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
They have enough Defensemen
So trading Graves to them wouldn't work. I imagine we would also not get 50% retention in that scenario.

Sure GMs make bad trades but I want to live in reality.

It's only for two years on retention, and I'd bet they just want to be rid of him. I'm not so sure they couldn't use Graves.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yeah, I'd throw the Jackets something like Rakell + Pickering or one of the 300 2nd rounders the team has for Laine with retention and if they're not willing to go that route then shrug and hang up. Not worth chasing, but if he's available for cheap then it's worth a shot to see if he can salvage his career. If not, then hopefully he'd drive Mike Sullivan to resigning.
I would not give up that much for Laine, and I doubt CBJ could get that much for Laine anyway, I think if Dubas really wants Laine, he could get it done with minimal assets. Laine isn't seen as some great player around the league, his lack of effort, injury history and bad attitude isn't something GMs like.

But he could turn the PP around, despite his shortcomings everywhere else.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
It's only for two years on retention, and I'd bet they just want to be rid of him. I'm not so sure they couldn't use Graves.

Graves would be on there bottom pairing.
Werenski & Povorov are both better.

They have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL
3rd 6th and 10th are LHD.

It's not that retaining a lot is the problem. Why would they want to take on Graves for 5 years and retain 4.35 million for 2 years.
Sign me up for this deal a 3rd to get out of Graves being our Bottom pairing defensemen and we get Laine at 4.35 million.

That trade just makes 0 sense for them.
Before acquiring Hayes a blues fan and I looked at Saad for Graves.
This made sense until the off season began.

I think Graves has better homes to go to then the Jackets.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I would not give up that much for Laine, and I doubt CBJ could get that much for Laine anyway, I think if Dubas really wants Laine, he could get it done with minimal assets. Laine isn't seen as some great player around the league, his lack of effort, injury history and bad attitude isn't something GMs like.

But he could turn the PP around, despite his shortcomings everywhere else.
Eh, I don't think the Pens are trading anything of value there. Rakell's a whatever middle-6 guy with four years left on his deal. I don't think Pickering's gonna pan out to be anything notable. Laine's deal expires sooner than Rakell's so that'd be better for this team taking on back contracts for picks/prospects in a couple more years.

I think Laine's pretty cooked, but I also don't think it really matters to a team like the Pens tbh. And like you said, if he can stabilize his career and score a buncha power play goals, that bodes well for the oft-mentioned "flip him for assets later" thing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Eh, I don't think the Pens are trading anything of value there. Rakell's a whatever middle-6 guy with four years left on his deal. I don't think Pickering's gonna pan out to be anything notable. Laine's deal expires sooner than Rakell's so that'd be better for this team taking on back contracts for picks/prospects in a couple more years.

I think Laine's pretty cooked, but I also don't think it really matters to a team like the Pens tbh. And like you said, if he can stabilize his career and score a buncha power play goals, that bodes well for the oft-mentioned "flip him for assets later" thing.

I think Rakell and a 2nd for Laine straight up is fine.

Just don't know if Columbus will bite on Rakell's term.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Seems reasonable. They all laughed at me on the main boards.

Laine has played half the seasons 2 years in a row and has asked to be traded.

Only reason why we are entertaining him is because it's a buy low option.

People actually still think Laine is worth anything? lol

Raks is about as unremarkable a top six-ish player as there is and with a pretty suspect contract, at that. And frankly I think that's a pretty darn competitive starting point for any offer involving Laine.

CBUS can ask for all the top picks and prospects they want. That's their obligation to try. But that doesn't mean Laine is worth that.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think the only way a Laine deal happens with us is if they want Jarry, imo.

And they almost certainly would not accept Jarry without sending Elvis back, so under that scenario it is tough. Laine for Jarry is a deal the Pens would do. Laine and Elvis for Jarry and another contract (I assume Rakell, maybe Acciari) is something I think Columbus would do.

In an ideal world, Waddell views Jarry as an upgrade and gets a deal done without including Elvis. But that would leave the Jackets with two older, expensive goaltenders and two younger guys close to the NHL (or already arrived). Not ideal.

Maybe a three-way?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
People actually still think Laine is worth anything? lol

Raks is about as unremarkable a top six-ish player as there is and with a pretty suspect contract, at that. And frankly I think that's a pretty darn competitive starting point for any offer involving Laine.

CBUS can ask for all the top picks and prospects they want. That's their obligation to try. But that doesn't mean Laine is worth that.

Yea unsure what fans expect. He wants to be traded and he has played half the games.

He is worth something but just not a lot with the existing contract. I am interested because of his shot on our PP

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Who would have thought 2yrs ago in the biggest spanking in Pens history vs the Wings where the Pens won 11-2, Sullivan was scouting his future goalie of the future when he allowed 7 goals.

Sullivan is a genius.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Let’s get McGroarty without giving up Yager. Poulin + Pickering or something.
Mate we won't get Rutty McGroat, if he hates the usage or plan in Winnipeg, he'll quit hockey altogether under Sullivan and go be a manager in training at a local Qdoba.

They have enough Defensemen
So trading Graves to them wouldn't work. I imagine we would also not get 50% retention in that scenario.

Sure GMs make bad trades but I want to live in reality.
Donny Wads will likely try to convince Laine to stay and play for Evason. I liked Dean as an AHL coach for the Preds and his time in Minnesota, he definitely has some warts as a coach but I think he's a solid coach with helping forwards find their game.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Ponomarev and Blomqvist are the only prospects the Penguins have that I see having a spot on the roster sometime this season. I also think Ilyin/Koivunen are closer to the NHL than Yager.

If McGroaty is available for Yager + a small add then you do it, because he's much closer to having an impact in the NHL. Pickering + a lower ranking prospect is fine, I don't see him as a regular NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad