Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Petts likes playing here. This org never has the balls to trade guys that actually want to be here.

Dubas already won't trade Rust because "he respects him too much" or some such nonsense.

Even Crosby was pissed that Hags got traded.

In terms of Rust, Dubas can’t trade him due to NMC.

1720814845295.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If you plan to bottom out, it is beneficial to push out when you get a bunch of draft picks. Otherwise you may have young talented players develop too soon, preventing you from being one of the worst teams in the league and denying you the chance to get a top 3 pick.

man, genius work by Kyle Dubas making us be bad for 3+ years.

a true plan.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I fixed that.

Look... If the Penguins would have been eager to roll a giant wheelbarrow of cash up to Jake along with a blank contract and told him "just fill that in however you like" -- of course he would stay. But that's not reasonable in this team's current state and both sides understood that I think, reading between the lines. And I have to assume that understanding between the team, Jake and his agent was come to fairly early in the process.

We're both assuming things here, admittedly. But all the writing on the wall seems to show that Jake was intending to move on most of last season. And the Penguins turning over the keys to the vault to make him change his mind would have been monumentally stupid so they were at an impasse.

Besides... look where we ended up. This team has opened itself up to be a trashheap for the rest of the league. Jake on this team would have made no sense. The team has made it clear that there are no more big swings coming... expect mostly just Coyotes stuff. Got a horrible player that you can package a second rounder with... because if so the Penguins are your team. Bemoaning the loss of Jake at this point is kinda silly/pointless TBH. Lean into the suck, Doodle.
Guentzel wanted to stay - that was what was in question. All things being equal, he'd be a Penguin now if Dubas had offered him what TBay did - or likely less - but he didn't make any overtures.

We can argue whether that was the right direction, but Guentzel wanted to stay in Pittsburgh if he were offered fair market value. The fact is that he was making far less than what he was worth for the last 6 years, so I don't see how anyone could blame him for wanting to be fairly compensated on this one, or suggest he was changing teams just to chase paper.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Guentzel wanted to stay - that was what was in question. All things being equal, he'd be a Penguin now if Dubas had offered him what TBay did - or likely less - but he didn't make any overtures.

We can argue whether that was the right direction, but Guentzel wanted to stay in Pittsburgh if he were offered fair market value. The fact is that he was making far less than what he was worth for the last 6 years, so I don't see how anyone could blame him for wanting to be fairly compensated on this one, or suggest he was changing teams just to chase paper.

Did I ever insinuate as much? Sure I think he left mostly due to money but I'm not baggin' on him for it.

I simply mean that in my personal estimation he and the team mutually parted ways. The team wouldn't pay him and he was fine with moving on, anyway. That's the feeling I get. Maybe I'm wrong but frankly at this point I don't care... totally irrelevant.

I don't blame Jake at all and in fact am happy for him. But the team coughing up a gargantuan contract would have served no purpose at all.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Everything going as it should this summer, proud of Kyle.

#makeitmiserableforthedinosaurs

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I wonder if Sid is smart enough to realize he's on a sinking ship and as anyone who's prideful wants to bail and chase a cup elsewhere.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If anyone doubts Guentzel was just gunning for money, go look at the details of his contract with Tampa Bay. $54 million of the $63 million in the deal is in the form of a signing bonus, which will face no state income taxes in Florida.

The dude has been underpaid his entire career and he 1000% cashed out in UFA this year. He was purely chasing the money, hence why he ended up in Tampa Bay on a deal with a ludicrous amount of signing bonuses in the deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
If anyone doubts Guentzel was just gunning for money, go look at the details of his contract with Tampa Bay. $54 million of the $63 million in the deal is in the form of a signing bonus, which will face no state income taxes in Florida.

The dude has been underpaid his entire career and he 1000% cashed out in UFA this year. He was purely chasing the money, hence why he ended up in Tampa Bay on a deal with a ludicrous amount of signing bonuses in the deal.

Yeah, I hate Dubas but it’s pretty obvious that one was out of his control (not that I wanted us to re-sign Jake).

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Petts likes playing here. This org never has the balls to trade guys that actually want to be here.

Dubas already won't trade Rust because "he respects him too much" or some such nonsense.

Rust has a no movement clause for another year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Did I ever insinuate as much? Sure I think he left mostly due to money but I'm not baggin' on him for it.

I simply mean that in my personal estimation he and the team mutually parted ways. The team wouldn't pay him and he was fine with moving on, anyway. That's the feeling I get. Maybe I'm wrong but frankly at this point I don't care... totally irrelevant.

I don't blame Jake at all and in fact am happy for him. But the team coughing up a gargantuan contract would have served no purpose at all.
You said he didn't want to be here. The man himself said he intended to stay but the team chose another direction.

Those sound like contrary statements to me - like, one wanted it and one didn't - but I've heard some dubious "mutual" breakups before haha. Were Stamkos and Tbay mutual too?

His agent specifically said they were out to test the market and didn't want to talk extension, no?
Not that I saw.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You said he didn't want to be here. The man himself said he intended to stay but the team chose another direction.

Those sound like contrary statements to me - like, one wanted it and one didn't - but I've heard some dubious "mutual" breakups before haha. Were Stamkos and Tbay mutual too?

Not that I saw.

*sigh*

OK you're right... he definitely wanted to be here. For 10 million dollars.

You see the hangup, right? I've been having a field day lately bashing this team but that is not something I'm going to take them to task for. What in the world would this team do with a 10M dollar, 30 year old Jake Guentzel?!? They've lost plenty WITH him already... and the rides over, regardless.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

I think you are taking Jake’s public saving of face way more seriously than it was.

Reactions: Fordy

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
*sigh*

OK you're right... he definitely wanted to be here. For 10 million dollars.

You see the hangup, right? I've been having a field day lately bashing this team but that is not something I'm going to take them to task for. What in the world would this team do with a 10M dollar, 30 year old Jake Guentzel?!? They've lost plenty WITH him already... and the rides over, regardless.
He signed in Tbay for 9 mil per. What makes you think he wanted more to stay in his stated preferred destination? Or does rounding up to 10 mil per just sound more outrageous? Look at what UFAs are signing for...9 mil per is the going rate for a player with his resume.

Guentzel wanted to be here. He didn't want to leave multiple million every year on the table...again. Is that your standard for an athlete wanting to stay with a team?

I'm not relitigating the wiseness of signing him or not right now, but the guy clearly wanted to stay in Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad