Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If Malkin takes a month while healthy to hit 500, I'll change my avatar to a fire Sullivan meme of your choice.

I bet Malkin hits the milestone in the first five games, and that's being conservative.

Two goals in five games is a downright torrid pace for anyone on this hamhanded team much less a like 38 year old blowed out former star with awful knees, no linemates and likely limited to no PP time. You saw him last year, right?

I bet I'm wrong but not that far off. Love the guy but the very start of the year and the very end aside he looked cooked last season and this team seems determined to not do him much in the way of favors to help him out with his production/comfort level. But what can ya do... time, lots of injuries and a hefty side of mismanagement made a nice ending kinda impossible.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Two goals in five games is a downright torrid pace for anyone on this hamhanded team much less a like 38 year old blowed out former star with awful knees, no linemates and likely limited to no PP time. You saw him last year, right?

I bet I'm wrong but not that far off. Love the guy but the very start of the year and the very end aside he looked cooked last season and this team seems determined to not do him much in the way of favors to help him out with his production/comfort level. But what can ya do... time, lots of injuries and a hefty side of mismanagement made a nice ending kinda impossible.
Malkin literally scored four goals in the first five games last year.

He had 27 goals, the same number he had the year before, despite an inept power play.

He finished strong, with 8 goals in his last 11 games.

There is no reason to expect him to suddenly be an anchor. Is he declining? Sure. But I think 20-25 goals and 40-45 assists is perfectly reasonable to expect.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Scouts: "Gavin McKenna's the type of offensive weapon that can turn a franchise around almost immediately."

Sullivan: "But how is he on the PK?"
I was about to make a joke about the linemates he would get but then I remembered that the majority of Sid's rookie year was:

Recchi-Crosby-LeClair
Have you met this board?
This board seems to think that the formula of "suck, get 1OV, get generational talent" is all but an universal absolute. Happened with Lemieux and then Crosby/Malkin. We didn't have to suffer through a Hall, RNH, Yakupov era.
Beauvillier tweeted that one time at Anna Kendrick and got her to respond.

Dude is a dork of a hockey player though.
Way back in my slightly prettier and younger days when Twitter was just getting started, I tweeted out to Jessica Alba. Flexed as hard as I could. Got no where.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Malkin literally scored four goals in the first five games last year.

He had 27 goals, the same number he had the year before, despite an inept power play.

He finished strong, with 8 goals in his last 11 games.

There is no reason to expect him to suddenly be an anchor. Is he declining? Sure. But I think 20-25 goals and 40-45 assists is perfectly reasonable to expect.

Meh that was last year. He's a year older, on a worse team, seems to be the subject of whatever small amount of player ridicule DOES come from the coach and GM and will likely be getting less time on the powerplay and probably even at ES, as well. I think a 20+30 year is approaching best-case.

It's good to know you are overly-generous in your estimation of not JUST the head coach, though! :D

EDIT: It's just the way it goes. Even Lemieux kinda went out with a whisper.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

You're sleeping on Bunting. He's the 11th best LW 5v5 producer since he entered the league. Rakell is likely to play better with Bunting here, since he already did that down the stretch. We saw the line work.
His linemate situation has not gotten worse, but better. Smith didn't wanna be here. It wasn't healthy for the line.

Same thing goes for the PP. Karlsson is likely to be better offensively under Quinn. Hard to be worse.
Bunting is gonna be a better net-front than Guentzel. Most importantly, we replaced our dogshit PP coach.

Being 1 year older does not transcend all that imo. He'll get more easy points through the efforts of others. I'll go out on a limb and say his P/PG will be better than last year.
Where I agree with you is that he's unlikely to play all the games again. So if we're talking point regression, that's the source for me.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I generally watch to see talented players do fun things. It's also nice to win and pull for a likeable organization.

So you can see why these guys are a tough sell right now.
At first I was like wtf is this bloke on about? Has Sullivan broken all of us? Then you hit us with that last line, lol.

This board misses @Peat ’s cartoonish optimism.
He still posts here.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

This guy is coming in with a massive chip on his shoulder. Pullin for him.
Yeah, me too.
Im actually mildly curios to see if he can come back to the player he was trending to be 2 seasons ago. That season was pretty good! And if it was injuries that hampered him a bit last season that would explain the step back.

Was checking a while back and I don't remember exactly, but I think he had 10 points in the last 16 or 17 games. So maybe he started to find the groove towards the end of the season.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah, me too.
Im actually mildly curios to see if he can come back to the player he was trending to be 2 seasons ago. That season was pretty good! And if it was injuries that hampered him a bit last season that would explain the step back.

Was checking a while back and I don't remember exactly, but I think he had 10 points in the last 16 or 17 games. So maybe he started to find the groove towards the end of the season.
2022-23 for Glass was pretty comparable to 2023-24 DOC. Good season. Offense pumped up due to heavy usage, but super solid defensively.
Last year he was horrible at both ends.

So it's anyone's guess what we get this year. I expect him to be better though. The attitude's as good as it can be atm.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
2022-23 for Glass was pretty comparable to 2023-24 DOC. Good season. Offense pumped up due to heavy usage, but super solid defensively.
Last year he was horrible at both ends.

So it's anyone's guess what we get this year. I expect him to be better though. The attitude's as good as it can be atm.
It should be interesting to see how these guys pan out. My only worry is that he will get overlooked because we have Eller, Acciari, Hayes, and a couple other scrubs.

While I can see the importance of having a strong NHL roster with a deeper prospect pool, I do gush a little bit at the "what-if" when looking at the current group of youngins. Imagine something like:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Ponomarov-Glass
Beauvillier-Broz-Lizotte

Or something like that. Dumping Eller and Acciari should be priorities out the gate for Dubas. Hayes, I'll wait to see how he does but I can't imagine he has much value. Wouldn't hate seeing if Winnipeg wants him back as a depth piece come playoff time though.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad