Around the League 2024-25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

And another one signs the common-sense, win/win deal.

QB probably would have signed for $7 million, so the Kings ended up saving about $800k in cap space over the next five seasons. In exchange, they gave up team control of QB during his age 27, 28, and 29 seasons. But hey, no big deal, those aren't productive or prime years for a player or anything. Another master-class performance.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I dunno....isn't thiis the SAME EXACT scenario LA was in with Kopitar, except, Kopitar had won 2 cups first? LA gets absolutely BLASTED by some on here for making that deal, and now EDM does it and it was the only thing they could do? Interesting...
Not sure i would compare Kopitar and the Edmonton top guys.
Kopi doesn't even score half of those guys.
The Kings would need more than 2 Kopitars match which would be a price tag of 20+ Mill
Edmonton gets the better deal here even if they sign for 15Mill or whatever the league max is at that point

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I always love these old pictures contrasted against a current image. :yo:

460008491_939103424928439_2394215028139973057_n.jpg

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Not sure i would compare Kopitar and the Edmonton top guys.
Kopi doesn't even score half of those guys.
The Kings would need more than 2 Kopitars match which would be a price tag of 20+ Mill
Edmonton gets the better deal here even if they sign for 15Mill or whatever the league max is at that point
You only judge Kopitar on goals and assists, that’s all you ever bang on about. He is an elite 2 way player and was the 1C on two cup teams. As good as the other two are they still haven’t won because their roster is too top heavy. Kopitar is getting fair money for what he delivers, we lack more scoring on the roster but Kopitars deal isn’t the issue.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
You only judge Kopitar on goals and assists, that’s all you ever bang on about. He is an elite 2 way player and was the 1C on two cup teams. As good as the other two are they still haven’t won because their roster is too top heavy. Kopitar is getting fair money for what he delivers, we lack more scoring on the roster but Kopitars deal isn’t the issue.
You forget he was paid much less when he was a 1C on two cup teams. And zero playoff series wins since he made more and did worse.

Reactions: tigermask48

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal

QB probably would have signed for $7 million, so the Kings ended up saving about $800k in cap space over the next five seasons. In exchange, they gave up team control of QB during his age 27, 28, and 29 seasons. But hey, no big deal, those aren't productive or prime years for a player or anything. Another master-class performance.

And you just know in the final year or two of that deal, Blake(if hes still around) will sign someone to a big deal that will totally handcuff his ability to resign QB.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

In this case I’d guess anything beyond five years was a dealbreaker for QB’s camp. You’d have to be insane to commit eight years to the Kings right now especially with Blake still in charge.

Two years minimum (but more likely three, when Doughty expires) from even starting a rebuild. Then let’s say they half ass it again and do another three year “rebuild or retool or whatever” as Luc called it. Now you’re looking at MAYBE sneaking into the playoffs as a bubble team in year seven at the earliest. I can see why a guy who’s already 22 wouldn’t want to sign a deal with a team on that trajectory that would put him at free agency on the wrong side of 30.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You forget he was paid much less when he was a 1C on two cup teams. And zero playoff series wins since he made more and did worse.
I have not forgotten anything. I’m just saying his deals aren’t the problem.

Bad trades, a shortened rebuild and bad contracts elsewhere have blocked our success more than us having one of the best two way C’s in the last generation. The other being Bergeron.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
In this case I’d guess anything beyond five years was a dealbreaker for QB’s camp. You’d have to be insane to commit eight years to the Kings right now especially with Blake still in charge.

Two years minimum (but more likely three, when Doughty expires) from even starting a rebuild. Then let’s say they half ass it again and do another three year “rebuild or retool or whatever” as Luc called it. Now you’re looking at MAYBE sneaking into the playoffs as a bubble team in year seven at the earliest. I can see why a guy who’s already 22 wouldn’t want to sign a deal with a team on that trajectory that would put him at free agency on the wrong side of 30.
This is doubtful. No player is turning down maximum dollar long term deals. Even if its with a bottom feeder team that drafted the player. There are teams worse than the Kings locking up players. The only players of this caliber that leave early are when they want out of cities like Winnipeg/Columbus or are traded due to character issues.
The players probably dont care about rebuilds and take the guaranteed money.
Byfields contract is the median between a short term show me deal and the long term maximum deal all his peers are getting. All laid out in a timeframe and dollar structure to maximize the chance of winning while Kopitar and Doughty are still playing with little regard for the years after.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

There's people around here who actually think the Byfield contract was good.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think the contract was good. Win-win for both sides. Good AAV for a decent amount of time; great deal for the Kings for its duration if Byfield continues to develop into 1C. Byfield signed his last contract before unrestricted free agency, so if he continues to develop into 1C, he can sign a mega-contract when this deal is over. Makes sense for Byfield too. Good motivation on all sides for Byfield to become successful.

There's people around here who play armchair GM thinking that there's only one side to negotiating a contract. Like Byfield and his agent will agree to whatever they think is appropriate for the Kings. Maybe Byfield didn't want to sign for 8 years and give up an extra 3 years of UFA?

Say if he goes $8Mx8Y, that's $64M. Say he becomes the point-per-game player we all want him to be in year 3 of the deal. Next big deal he signs is gonna be 4-5 years away.

$6.25x5Y is $31.25M. His next deal in 5 years might be $12-13M AAV if he matures into PPG 1C. He makes up the difference for the 3 years and he can sign his mega deal while he's 26, not 29. There's a big difference there.

Not unreasonable on both sides, in my opinion.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think the contract was good. Win-win for both sides. Good AAV for a decent amount of time; great deal for the Kings for its duration if Byfield continues to develop into 1C. Byfield signed his last contract before unrestricted free agency, so if he continues to develop into 1C, he can sign a mega-contract when this deal is over. Makes sense for Byfield too. Good motivation on all sides for Byfield to become successful.

There's people around here who play armchair GM thinking that there's only one side to negotiating a contract. Like Byfield and his agent will agree to whatever they think is appropriate for the Kings. Maybe Byfield didn't want to sign for 8 years and give up an extra 3 years of UFA?

Say if he goes $8Mx8Y, that's $64M. Say he becomes the point-per-game player we all want him to be in year 3 of the deal. Next big deal he signs is gonna be 4-5 years away.

$6.25x5Y is $31.25M. His next deal in 5 years might be $12-13M AAV if he matures into PPG 1C. He makes up the difference for the 3 years and he can sign his mega deal while he's 26, not 29. There's a big difference there.

There’s lots to hate with BLuc but I was ok with the deal for similar reasons.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Yea its not unreasonable. Its actually better for the team right at this very moment so I like it in that regard.
Just that there was someone saying it was probably QBs idea to do it because he doesnt want to be around for the next rebuild and I just dont think thats how it is. Athletes always want max term and money guaranteed. This deal was the compromise between what similar players are asking (8.5 million for 8 years) or the 2-3 year 4.5 million dollar show me contract gms give younger players with more to prove.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I absolutely do not.

I judge by position and expectations.
The #1 C position requires not only to create offense, it requires to assert your game on the opposition.
If your #1C scores 60+ points while the other teams have #1C scoring 100+ points you don't win stuff. This especially is a problem if your #1C asks for leagues top salary.
Now the difference of 40 points have to come from somewhere else since you have to score more goals than the opponent, which is difficult to archive since your #1C eat up a lot of salary.
I wouldn't complain at all if Kopitar would have gotten 5-6mill, being a 2nd line center.

All this has nothing to do with 2 way play and where the lite is coming from is far beyond me

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Yes I know, I was shocked to see how happy people were at the time. I think it was because there was a fear that Byfield was going to have an extended contract issue that was going to drag into the summer. Either that or people simply don't care about what is going to happen 5 years from now.

There’s lots to hate with BLuc but I was ok with the deal for similar reasons.
Unless Byfield himself didn't want an 8 year deal (which has never been reported anywhere) how can you be happy about losing team control 3 years before all these other teams are going to lose team control over their guy?

All these other teams are doing it one way, and the Kings do it another way. With all the history of decisions by this management team that defies what most teams do (Byfield, Turcotte, Clarke etc) why do you we think it's any different here, and think the player himself may have wanted it? How many times in the NHL has it ever been reported that a team wanted to sign a guy off an ELC to an 8 year deal and the player wanted 5? I can't think of a situation like that, it seems from looking at the league that everyone (players and teams) are happy to get those 8 year deals.

And not only that, if he does kill it and the Kings wish to re-sign him, his next contract (unless he wouldn't want an 8 year deal) would take him until his age 35 season, which everyone here (rightly) criticizes other teams for doing.

The way more likely scenario is the Kings didn't want to give QB 8 years because the higher cap hit would hurt the Kings in this ridiculous quest to win another championship with ancient players. This decision, like every decision the last three years has geared towards maximizing 11 and 8, and the $1m or so in extra cap space for these seasons was reason enough to punt on team control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad