Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Pens have 22 million in cap space next year with a cap of 92 million. They also have only a couple roster spots open as to contracts. This year will be the see what this crew can do with Rust, Karlsson, Graves, Jarry to name a few. If they miss the playoffs, Dubas will begin the purge of high coast vets who are no longer in the plan.
Couldn't agree more, heck I'd try moving them regardless. Add Rakell and Pettersson to those names and I think we can speed up a solid retool on the fly

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Wow, Hayes is not in Geno’s group to start t camp lol…someone must have gotten to Sullivan and convinced him that playing the two slowest players on the team on the same line in the top six wasn’t a good idea ….either that or he’s biding his time when the groups get changed tomorrow lol
sully is far too smart a coach to give away what his plans are in training camp. :popcorn:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Having Hayes as an RW actually does make a bit of sense, given who else we have. Adding McGroarty to LW and Hayes to RW actually does bolster depth. Better than Harkins and Nieto.

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Eller-Hayes
Beauvillier-Lizotte-Acciari

Seems like a realistic expectation. Wouldn't shock me to see some swapping of Hayes and Beauvillier as well. What I would really love is for us to get a 3C that isn't Eller, Hayes, Acciari, or Lizotte. A 3C that has some speed. Could very well end up being Pono. McGroarty-Pono-Beauvillier would be a pain in the ass to play against. There's speed there for days.

Pens have 22 million in cap space next year with a cap of 92 million. They also have only a couple roster spots open as to contracts. This year will be the see what this crew can do with Rust, Karlsson, Graves, Jarry to name a few. If they miss the playoffs, Dubas will begin the purge of high coast vets who are no longer in the plan.
I think Rust is here to stay. And with that much space, Graves becomes less of an issue. I think Jarry will always be available so it more comes down to finding the right partner. If we are at risk of the playoffs come TDL, I can see:

Beauvillier
Eller
Acciari
Hayes (maybe)
Aho
Gryz

all being available as cheap rental options for teams looking to add depth. If they have 22mil going into next year, it's a great time to take that player that has the extra year and get an extra asset for doing so ala Hayes. That could easily be the difference between the 2nd and a 1st.

For example, I think Pettersson is a prime TDL target. You look at a team like Vancouver who could really use a solid Top 4 dman, you might be able to pull off something like Garland and a 1st provided guys like Sprong, Hoglander, Heinen, even Lekkerimaki do well. They would need the roster spot and the space. We get back a solid asset that can be used next year and sent back out. Could even replace a guy like Rakell if we so choose to move him like we did with Smith.

We are getting into some interesting times with guys like McGroarty, Pono, Broz, etc potentially pushing for spots. That will certainly open up a lot of cap space which helps us bring in other assets.

Reactions: The Old Master

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think Hayes is in the same boat as Carter. He's only 32. Sure, he's slowed down a bit but it's not like he was ever that fast to begin with. If you can stick him with a good defensive center and a speedy wing, he'd be fine. And that's on the 3rd or 4th line. I don't think it will matter much. If he can pot 15g, then it's a win. That's where I'd like him to be if he's getting 3rd line time.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
LOL at anyone thinking this team means anything this year. It's almost entirely a garbage lineup from top to bottom. It doesn't matter if Hayes plays RW, center, in Pittsburgh, in WBS, in Wheeling or be on the LTIR all year. This team is a dumpster fire this year and wining or losing isn't dependent on what we do with Hayes. The team is literally full of NHL castoffs. This year is a write-off already.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
LOL at anyone thinking this team means anything this year. It's almost entirely a garbage lineup from top to bottom. It doesn't matter if Hayes plays RW, center, in Pittsburgh, in WBS, in Wheeling or be on the LTIR all year. This team is a dumpster fire this year and wining or losing isn't dependent on what we do with Hayes. The team is literally full of NHL castoffs. This year is a write-off already.
I strangely feel better about the lineup this year vs last year.

I still expect them to miss the playoffs though but I think most of us want to be competitive and hope we are. Isn't that the fun of watching and following?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Lol, imagine being Dubas and going from negotiating with Matthews to Sid
Dubas/FSG/Brisson - "Sid you deserve more, let us give you more."

giphy.gif

Sid - "OK but you see, the number 87..."

I strangely feel better about the lineup this year vs last year.

I still expect them to miss the playoffs though but I think most of us want to be competitive and hope we are. Isn't that the fun of watching and following?
t6a7CPD.png

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I generally watch to see talented players do fun things. It's also nice to win and pull for a likeable organization.

So you can see why these guys are a tough sell right now.
This is the first training camp I can remember, in the Sid era, where I have zero excitement for a new season.

Maybe that means the team will completely surprise me, which could go in either direction.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is the first training camp I can remember, in the Sid era, where I have zero excitement for a new season.

Maybe that means the team will completely surprise me, which could go in either direction.

Last season kinda broke me NGL.

I can always conjure up SOMETHING hopeful to say prior to the new season starting and I was very excited last year. But watching the way the year unfolded was utterly demoralizing and really pounded home how hopeless these guys are.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It was the way Sullivan's overusage of JJ-Schultz, and the fact that JR just handed JJ a half-decade long contract, cratering this team against the Habs in 2020--coupled with Mario's shrug following the series--that broke my "give a shit" meter for the era.

We were years into JR's psychosis, and Sullivan showing his ass as an arrogant, fraudulent coach. Ownership just kinda also not giving a f*** was my "alright, guess that's that then" moment.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Last season kinda broke me NGL.

I can always conjure up SOMETHING hopeful to say prior to the new season starting and I was very excited last year. But watching the way the year unfolded was utterly demoralizing and really pounded home how hopeless these guys are.
So you agree with me that it's hopeless and yet bash me when I want the team to take action to get out of it? 🤷‍♂️

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So you agree with me that it's hopeless and yet bash me when I want the team to take action to get out of it? 🤷‍♂️

The difference is that for some reason you seem to think that it's the core's problem and I do not.

You would have let Malkin and Letang walk. I never would have.

Your idea of "take action" is to nuke it all and sit back and act like you just did something clever when the reality is that we might be sitting here ten years from now wondering when we draft our next Jake level player... nevermind Sid/G. My idea of "take action" is "deep six the coach like three years ago and hire a GM with some balls, vision and a willingness to actually try."

You see the value in taking on trashheaps like Hayes for the love of a second round pick. I think this is silly if for no other reason than I gotta sit here and watch that garbage all year just so I can say like five seasons from now that the team MAYBE drafted the next Colby Armstrong. My discontent is born out of the frustration that they haven't and continue to not do enough while at least Sid is still around. Your discontent is born out of the frustration that Sid is still a thing at all.

We are not the same though you are entitled to your opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas is not in the speed only camp. He likes some size as well as skill. Pens will never be a heavy team but I can see Dubas wanting more grit here. I believe Dubas is playing the short game and the long game here. the best indicator is Petts. If Dubas gives him an extension, then the Crosby era of keeping the roster intact for some run is still the consideration. If Petts is moved as Dubas sees younger options that don't cost 6 million for 5 years, then I think he moves other players if the team is in jeopardy of missing or not playing up to what they should be. Or he finds a way to move Graves and signs Petts still is an indication that he wants a roster that can compete.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The difference is that for some reason you seem to think that it's the core's problem and I do not.

You would have let Malkin and Letang walk. I never would have.

Your idea of "take action" is to nuke it all and sit back and act like you just did something clever when the reality is that we might be sitting here ten years from now wondering when we draft our next Jake level player... nevermind Sid/G. My idea of "take action" is "deep six the coach like three years ago and hire a GM with some balls, vision and a willingness to actually try."

You see the value in taking on trashheaps like Hayes for the love of a second round pick. I think this is silly if for no other reason than I gotta sit here and watch that garbage all year just so I can say like five seasons from now that the team MAYBE drafted the next Colby Armstrong. My discontent is born out of the frustration that they haven't and continue to not do enough while at least Sid is still around. Your discontent is born out of the frustration that Sid is still a thing at all.

We are not the same though you are entitled to your opinion, of course.
It's not that that's clever. It's that the status quo is stupid and pointless. Why spend 5 years on a sinking ship when you can work towards something in that time?
Even if it takes 10 years, I'd prefer the team to be ready by 2032 instead of 2037, ya know?

It's 100% a core problem. That's not a matter of opinion. It's not just about their cap or their return. It's about how them being here affects the decisions of others. It's a domino effect.
Dubas and ownership would have fully committed to rebuilding already if they weren't here. Karlsson wouldn't have come here. Graves would not have come here. Petts wouldn't get re-signed (like they plan to do). They wouldn't have re-signed Jarry to that deal. 2024-2027 would be very critical years for the organization, instead of half-ass years.
They are holding the whole revitalization process hostage by staying.

If they were still in a Cup window that'd be totally fine. But that's long gone. When it's like that you have to move on to the next step in the cycle of rebirth.
Fighting the natural order in the league does not lead to anything good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad