Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm convinced Sid went to Mario during the Johnstone's years and said "you have to can this dude"

Yeah this is the one thing that makes me wonder about Sid re: his want put his two cents in on coaching/system/team philosophy. I think for the most part he goes with the chain of command and concentrates on playing but there seems to be limits. MJ, Hornqvist and even a little last year after Jake was traded come to mind.

One way or the other it's not on Sid Crosby to fire the coach. That's on the nutless wonder of a GM. If Sid can deal with having a bunch of his buddies traded away over the years he can certainly deal with the dingdong, stale-ass coach getting his walking papers. And if the team is too scared to do it because of him well... again... that's not on Crosby. That on the FO and ownership being a big pack of cowards and sycophants.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not entirely sure deferring payments or structuring it like that is what is holding up a contract. My bet is that when Sid retires, he take a year or so off and then comes back in whatever capacity he wishes. It could be that the team is saying "hey, if you're deferring now, we can get you more help to compete and it will boost your post-retirement salary (lol, like he needs it)". But really, who are they bringing in to help him THAT much more than makes it worth it to do that. Unless you can do a Kessel or Karlsson swap with someone to unload Eller, Acciari, Graves, and Jarry, and get a decent player with an albatross contract back?

Sid either signs a standard 35+ deal or he asks out. I believe it will be the former.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'm not entirely sure deferring payments or structuring it like that is what is holding up a contract. My bet is that when Sid retires, he take a year or so off and then comes back in whatever capacity he wishes. It could be that the team is saying "hey, if you're deferring now, we can get you more help to compete and it will boost your post-retirement salary (lol, like he needs it)". But really, who are they bringing in to help him THAT much more than makes it worth it to do that. Unless you can do a Kessel or Karlsson swap with someone to unload Eller, Acciari, Graves, and Jarry, and get a decent player with an albatross contract back?

Sid either signs a standard 35+ deal or he asks out. I believe it will be the former.
Of coarse not. Just was a discussion about getting AAV lower by a bit.

Cap won't matter once he's gone.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Of coarse not. Just was a discussion about getting AAV lower by a bit.

Cap won't matter once he's gone.
Indeed. But I imagine if Sid wants to help the team with a lower hit, he just takes the lower hit. I mean, he could just extend 3yrs at $8.7mil and it's a good deal all around. Structure the money however you wish. Hell, could be $8.5mil in bonuses (or whatever the max is).

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

Mitch Marner has travelled quite a distance to find his summer training ground with two of the game’s biggest stars.

“He knows this is all hovering around him, and he’s determined to have the best possible summer he can to be ready. He’s in Vail [Colorado] this weekend with the likes of Sidney Crosby and Nathan MacKinnon

Sid hasn't signed because he's more focused on getting Marner here :naughty:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’m excited for McGroarty. Even if he doesn’t make the team or stay up all year he’s the best prospect we’ve had since.. Staal?

Reactions: Lustaf

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Sid can't play with his BFF MacKinnon he will play with his other BFF Jake or even Marchand.

Crosby on the Bruins, lawl!
Both the Canes and Bruins have the ponies to pull it off too!

I’m excited for McGroarty. Even if he doesn’t make the team or stay up all year he’s the best prospect we’ve had since.. Staal?
I would say Jake.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Lately?!? You give me too much credit.

Also yeah... it would be truly shocking if Crosby didn't sign. I would imagine the odds are pretty tiny. He's this close to the finish line and we all know how much legacy means to the guy.

It's just fascinating to me to imagine what must be going through his head. Dude is one of the most competitive players I've ever watched. He can't be blind to all these years of laughable playoff results followed by two straight years of missing topped off by rolling into this season with a decidedly... uh... let's be kind and say "questionable" roster while he's pushin' 40. Has to be far from how he hoped things would spool out at this point in his career.
I think it's interesting and pretty telling that he didn't simply auto-sign on July 1st, for sure. I think we're seeing a guy who, for years, his confidence (guys don't reach Sid's level without a borderline delusional degree of confidence, imo) kept telling him this team still had a legitimate chance and they were just on the receiving end of some unfortunate bounces/injuries at the wrong times.

Now, reality's probably setting in that this team's cooked and he's deciding how long he wants to keep up the rigors of being an NHL athlete on a team that's got zero realistic chance at competing in any notable capacity.

Also, touching on your Sid-Sully thing; I definitely think that Sid being Sid has made people think he's got Sully's back way more than he does in reality. He's never had a bad word to say of anyone who he's played for/with, so I'm assuming when asked, Sid probably said something like "He's a great coach and we're lucky to have him" or some other regurgitated Hallmark card crap, and people took that as "Well he loves Sullivan so that guy has a lifetime contract if he wants it." Which is kinda why I get annoyed that Sid wasn't more vocal about things being what they are, because the second he questioned the system or coaching or whatever--it'd change in a heartbeat. :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Friedman on 32 Thoughts today stated he still thinks Sid signs with the Pens but that he’s heard from one player (sounded like a player on this team) that he’s coming to grips with this team not being a contender anymore. He said he believes Crosby doesn’t feel like it’s a big deal that he hasn’t made a decision yet and that he has time. Sounds like Dubas has made him a bunch of different offers of two, three, four and five year deals. He hasn’t heard that he’s been insulted by any of the offers or anything like that.

He doesn’t feel like this is a Stamkos situation and that the ball is in Sid’s court. Also said the NHL media tour next week is in Vegas where Sid will be present and he wouldn’t be surprised if he just signs before that that way he doesn’t have to be asked about it a thousand times.
If Sid's come to grips with this team not being a contender and still wants to re-sign here, then I guess he's more intent on doing the one-team thing rather than winning any longer.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
So what's the math on these deferred payments? Like, what % are they using?

I'm screwing around with a calculator and am getting something like 1.75 to 2% but nothing exact.

@mouser help please?

edit: I'm seeing 1.25% in the CBA but my math ain't mathin'

Maatta made this team as an 18-year-old - as a defenseman nonetheless - played the entire season, and did so tremendously.

Then cancer.

19, but yeah

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also, touching on your Sid-Sully thing; I definitely think that Sid being Sid has made people think he's got Sully's back way more than he does in reality. He's never had a bad word to say of anyone who he's played for/with, so I'm assuming when asked, Sid probably said something like "He's a great coach and we're lucky to have him" or some other regurgitated Hallmark card crap, and people took that as "Well he loves Sullivan so that guy has a lifetime contract if he wants it." Which is kinda why I get annoyed that Sid wasn't more vocal about things being what they are, because the second he questioned the system or coaching or whatever--it'd change in a heartbeat. :laugh:

Right. Sid is one of my all time favorite players but he's PARTICULARLY well-versed in PR-speak. From practically the cradle. Would it be fun sometimes to have more off-the-cuff kina guy? Sure... but that's what Malkin is for, ya know? Well that and blaming shit on. Anyway yeah... it reminds me of how when the team idiotically traded for Reaves Pens fans were like "lol you guys are stupid... Sid has said he LOVES having a guy like Reaves on the team!"

Like... no shit. What was he GONNA say? "Why'd we trade for this chode? He's terrible. ALL enforcers are terrible... what is this 1995? A FIRST ROUND PICK WHAT?!?"

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Crosby on the Bruins would be interesting. Him and Marchand would destroy it together and they have the goaltending and D.
Marchand-Crosby-Pasta

I can't imagine that wouldn't be one of the top lines in the league.

They have Lysell and Poitras and a couple 1sts. They likely have to send back someone like Carlo or Coyle.

It would be interesting indeed.

Reactions: 66-30-33

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Marchand-Crosby-Pasta

I can't imagine that wouldn't be one of the top lines in the league.

They have Lysell and Poitras and a couple 1sts. They likely have to send back someone like Carlo or Coyle.

It would be interesting indeed.

I'd hope he doesn't wanna go to Bruins but you can't deny the Crosby/Marchand BFF connection. If not Avs I would rather him go to TB.

Jake-Crosby-Kuch
f*** that and f*** the Bruins. I would barf
So would I but he would have some nice wingers for a change.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Right. Sid is one of my all time favorite players but he's PARTICULARLY well-versed in PR-speak. From practically the cradle. Would it be fun sometimes to have more off-the-cuff kina guy? Sure... but that's what Malkin is for, ya know? Well that and blaming shit on. Anyway yeah... it reminds me of how when the team idiotically traded for Reaves Pens fans were like "lol you guys are stupid... Sid has said he LOVES having a guy like Reaves on the team!"

Like... no shit. What was he GONNA say? "Why'd we trade for this chode? He's terrible. ALL enforcers are terrible... what is this 1995? A FIRST ROUND PICK WHAT?!?"
I remember Sid saying a buncha shit about how important guys like Sestito and MacIntyre were too. :laugh: Dude's just the consummate professional.

Also I wish Geno still had that piss and vinegar. He's definitely fallen in line and says the same ol' PR shit too. I miss the days where he told Therrien to f*** himself and if he was benched, he'd be going back to Russia on the next flight outta town. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad