Salary Cap: Pens Salary thread: It has been 0 days since our last injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah in hindsight, they should have put a claim in on him. But you're also taking a fairly significant gamble with rosters being due tomorrow by making that claim. I guess the Penguins decided the benefit of having Zohorna as a depth player wasn't worth the risk of possibly screwing over their cap situation. Looking at their F depth, it's hard to say they're unjustified for feeling that way.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He made comments about being happy to actually get a chance when he was in Calgary. I’m sure that didn’t sit well with Sully. I predicted yesterday we wouldn’t bring him back because of that.
I mean, what was he supposed to say? I don’t want to go to Calgary? Is sully really that vindictive/insecure? The answer is yes.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The curious case of big Z. It seems odd to not stash him in the AHL, but we all know sleepy isn’t a risk-taker and he had himself backed into a corner by paying too much to Kap and signing too many guys this summer.

Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
What were the chances a team with a better record than the Pens would claim Z and keep him on their NHL roster? Not a big deal losing him imo but just curious.

This waiver process is nothing like I thought it was.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What were the chances a team with a better record than the Pens would claim Z and keep him on their NHL roster? Not a big deal losing him imo but just curious.

This waiver process is nothing like I thought it was.

Very low at a guess before hand - didn't happen so none in the reality - but I think it needed to be a guaranteed none before they did it and no guarantee there.

Reactions: brewski420

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens get cap compliant and with Smith going down on paper and then POJ can go down as rosters are set and I have to believe there will be a move to clear more space.

Reactions: DesertPenguin

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Unfortunately we will not, he will be back in Europe next season, but we will talk for years and years about the one that got away……….
Reports out of Calgary were that he was pretty unimpressive in his brief time there.

At some point, it's on the player to seize the opportunity.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Reports out of Calgary were that he was pretty unimpressive in his brief time there.

At some point, it's on the player to seize the opportunity.
That’s true. Our coaching staff doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to young guys, but Calgary sending him packing makes Sully and Sleepy look better.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Waiver Issues- I think Hextall just figured we'd have 2-3 more injuries to start the season... can't blame him. : )

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Why wouldn’t you reclaim Z for Wilkes/when half of our forwards will be injured?
Because he's not very good and while you make 1000s of post about how dumb the team is the other NHL teams don't agree with you.

Your judgement on players and organizations is irrelevant

Reactions: Factorial

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If you can find a taker, Brock McGinn would be easy to replace internally, and moving him out would save us about the right amount of space.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well at least the Z saga ended quickly. Glad we didn't pick him up again. He woulda just been stuck in Wilkes until he left for Europe.

Bummed for him though. He's better than a lot of 4th liners in this league.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you can find a taker, Brock McGinn would be easy to replace internally, and moving him out would save us about the right amount of space.

This has pretty much been stated since the offseason.

Well at least the Z saga ended quickly. Glad we didn't pick him up again. He woulda just been stuck in Wilkes until he left for Europe.

Bummed for him though. He's better than a lot of 4th liners in this league.

Maybe....

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

When he was due to fill in at 3C right before he got picked up? I think he'd played his way into 14F and 14F plays more games than they don't here.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Smith sent to WBS:

As expected really. Can't do anything else til they make a trade

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think it's pretty clear Hextall wants Petts gone, but he's not willing to take it on the chin when it comes to dumping a player and getting out of a bad contract. That's the name of the game in the flat cap, and teams with space who are willing to take on those bad contracts know how valuable an asset their cap space is, so the asking prices are pretty steep.

Ah well. We'll see what happens.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think it's pretty clear Hextall wants Petts gone, but he's not willing to take it on the chin when it comes to dumping a player and getting out of a bad contract. That's the name of the game in the flat cap, and teams with space who are willing to take on those bad contracts know how valuable an asset their cap space is, so the asking prices are pretty steep.

Ah well. We'll see what happens.
I'm guessing they will take on Petts if Hextall offers up the 1st round pick.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad