Post-Game Talk: Pens/Flames

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Ned isn’t the savior some made him seem. Still better than Jarry at this point.

Team sucks. Respect to those of you who stayed up late to watch.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Just like my team the other day: make a comeback, get ahead, let them tie it in the final minute, lose in a shootout. Bruh.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Did people not expect this? This is who the Penguins have been for years now. It's not changing anytime soon, just like the coach.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This isn't meant to be a defense of Jarry (because I know some will interpret it to be that), but I'm confused for why there has been so much talk about the goalies when the problem is this team is horrendous defensively. I don't understand giving Nedjelkovic crap after a 4-3 SO loss when this team is bleeding high danger chances against. This is probably the worst defensively I can recall the Penguins being under Sullivan, but I feel like I've seen more posts complaining about the goalies than I have about the defense.

Nedjelkovic is more of a 1B/platoon goalie, Blomqvist is very raw and Jarry looks completely broken, but I think the defense is far larger of an issue and is making the flaws with the goalies stand out far more.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Was at the game last night. Take aways were. Sid is still good but has zero help, the loss of Guetzel is very noticeable. Often times when getting back to the bench he was having conversations with the coaching staff, him and Karlsson had a few animated conversations and Crosby showed frustration with some of Karlssons plays.

Rakell looked good, him and Crosby were really the only noticeable forwards. It was the longest game I've ever been to, felt like there was an icing every 20 seconds.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
This isn't meant to be a defense of Jarry (because I know some will interpret it to be that), but I'm confused for why there has been so much talk about the goalies when the problem is this team is horrendous defensively. I don't understand giving Nedjelkovic crap after a 4-3 SO loss when this team is bleeding high danger chances against. This is probably the worst defensively I can recall the Penguins being under Sullivan, but I feel like I've seen more posts complaining about the goalies than I have about the defense.

Nedjelkovic is more of a 1B/platoon goalie, Blomqvist is very raw and Jarry looks completely broken, but I think the defense is far larger of an issue and is making the flaws with the goalies stand out far more.
I was going to post something similar. There is something seriously wrong with the gameplan to be giving up these many odd man rushes (happened last season as well). Even a poorly talented team should be able to mitigate against this happening to them.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

Has there really been anyone blaming Ned these past 2 games?

The D sucks. The difference between Ned and Jarry is that Ned stops the ones he should most of the time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Has there really been anyone blaming Ned these past 2 games?

The D sucks. The difference between Ned and Jarry is that Ned stops the ones he should most of the time.

There's already a couple posts in the PGT giving Nedjelkovic a minus for the game last night and saying "he needs to be better with the defense in front of him".

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
There's already a couple posts in the PGT giving Nedjelkovic a minus for the game last night and saying "he needs to be better with the defense in front of him".
Yea there’s no reason to blame Ned. He has held up his end of the bargain and then some. You can only stop so many 2 on 1’s and chances from 2 feet away until a couple get by you. This team is dreadful from top to bottom.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There is a lot to not like about Bylsma’s coaching career, but I can’t remember any time he simply just gave up on getting points in OT or on special teams like we have.
One thing he did that I loved was mustache boy. They actually practiced it and he talked about it being an important part of the game that they need to be good at. Granted, you had one of the best shootout goalies in history but we were quite decent at them. He goes away and poof! Not a care in the world for it.

Honestly, Sid has been phoning it in all season. Really odd behavior given that it's Sid and he just signed a two year extension. For him, all I care about is PPG. Get that record-breaking streak, and then, whatever.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
How can you guys possibly put this on Ned? He was the only reason we even made it to OT!

Sure he sucked in the shootout, but honestly he's never really been that good in the shootout. I would seriously consider putting in Jarry just for the shootout (Blomq is an unknown to me right now).

My take....
The problem is the exact same as every other game. Our D has difficulty controlling our zone.

AND....
We can't hold a lead if our life depended on it.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I couldn't watch the game last night and I think it kind of speaks to where I am with this team that I woke up and saw 4-3 SO loss online and thought it seemed like a fairly positive result.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
How can you guys possibly put this on Ned? He was the only reason we even made it to OT!

Sure he sucked in the shootout, but honestly he's never really been that good in the shootout. I would seriously consider putting in Jarry just for the shootout (Blomq is an unknown to me right now).

My take....
The problem is the exact same as every other game. Our D has difficulty controlling our zone.

AND....
We can't hold a lead if our life depended on it.
Agreed but I think there are a couple more layers to that as well:
- they don't have a good defensive zone system.
- they don't have good defensive players.
- they don't have any decent players that are willing to be defensively responsible because there is limited accountability on that front.
- they don't have any fast/quick players that can close gaps and make up for minor mistakes.

I mean, the fact is, this roster just isn't very good. We all knew where they would be so it's not like this should be a super shocking game. The only thing that hurts though is when you miss the playoffs by 1-2 points, it's these types of games that sting. They all should remember this from last year but it doesn't seem like they care much.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Agreed but I think there are a couple more layers to that as well:
- they don't have a good defensive zone system.
- they don't have good defensive players.
- they don't have any decent players that are willing to be defensively responsible because there is limited accountability on that front.
- they don't have any fast/quick players that can close gaps and make up for minor mistakes.

I mean, the fact is, this roster just isn't very good. We all knew where they would be so it's not like this should be a super shocking game. The only thing that hurts though is when you miss the playoffs by 1-2 points, it's these types of games that sting. They all should remember this from last year but it doesn't seem like they care much.
I will say, at least it's entertaining to watch (for the most part). More so than it was last year.

Let's look at some pluses...
+ Offensively our bottom 6 is useful.

Minuses...
- Agreed D system sucks...on Sully!
- not good Defenseman...okay.
- Petts has regressed right now.
- Letang isn't up to his usual level.
- Rest of the crew are spare parts.....ultimately it's not like other teams have all superstar D.
It wouldn't hard to rotate in WBS D players to see something sparks. I mean Ludvig wasn't ideal, but he really brought an edge we are missing back there.

- not good Defensive players (forwards)
- I disagree here. They have guy that can cover but everybody seems lost out there in the D zone. As if they don't know where they are supposed to be.

- fast quick players
- Beau/Glass/Pulls are pretty quick. Maybe not the most talented, but you need hustle to play D.

Also doesn't account for all the odd-man rushes and breakaways. We seem to like keeping the game up high near the blue line.

Last edited:
Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I will say, at least it's entertaining to watch (for the most part). More so than it was last year.

Let's look at some pluses...
+ Offensively our bottom 6 is useful.

Minuses...
- Agreed D system sucks...on Sully!
- not good Defenseman...okay.
- Petts has regressed right now.
- Letang isn't up to his usual level.
- Rest of the crew are spare parts.....ultimately it's not like other teams have all superstar D.
It wouldn't hard to rotate in WBS D players to see something sparks. I mean Ludvig wasn't ideal, but he really brought an edge we are missing back there.

- not good Defensive players (forwards)
- I disagree here. They have guy that can cover but everybody seems lost out there in the D zone. As if they don't know where they are supposed to be.

- fast quick players
- Beau/Glass/Pulls are pretty quick. Maybe not the most talented, but you need hustle to play D.

Also doesn't account for all the odd-man rushes and breakaways. We seem to like keeping the game up high near the blue line.
This has been an issue for quite a while now. Like a blatant, glaring issue. The number of times I've watched 5 guys stare at a puck while someone slips into position behind them, is so far beyond unacceptable it's humorous at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad