Post-Game Talk: Pens 4 Habs 0 | Beau + The Boys Win One for the Duper

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
We clearly need to upgrade there, but I think we should keep BB with Sutter. We're far more dangerous sporting three scoring lines. SA trade or two will hopefully remedy the issues we have in the top six.

The third line was doing quite well when it was Spaling-Sutter-Downie. You don't drag down your top 2 lines to help your 3C.

Michael8771*

That 3rd line looks awfully good. Its gonna be tough to break it up assuming BB keeps his game up. Which I think he will.
Exactly, and because they're a third line they'll get much better defensive match ups. In a lot of cases they'll avoid the oppositions top pairs.

Michael8771*

The third line was doing quite well when it was Spaling-Sutter-Downie. You don't drag down your top 2 lines to help your 3C.
Again, you need to have three scoring lines to compete long term. Eventually Kunitz will wake up. And hopefully Horny and Malkin build chemistry. Add a trade to the mix and these issues with our top six can be remedied.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Listening to Mike Johnston, I don't think he has too many plans on BB in the top 6.
Short term, I have no problem with that (as long as he is getting the minutes). Let Beau develop his game there, where he can go against 3rd pairings. Let him gain some confidence. We don't want to rush him into the top 6 and have him forcing pucks.

Plus, having a 3rd line that is a scoring threat again will be nice... and the top 6 performance during that time will just reinforce to JR our need for help on the wings.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You guys touched on a lot of great stuff... I just need to throw in my quick thoughts:

++++ Beau/Sutter: Both guys played terrific. Sutter has been on fire as of late and Beau showed us tonight what having skill can do for a team. EXCELLENT game.

++++ Despres: I love how his game is progressing. He looks stronger, while still making mistakes, each game. I love it.

Huge shout out to Fleury who played terrific. Steady hockey. I didn't see too much flopping around. I thought he played wonderful.

Top two lines looked a bit out of sorts w/ injuries/movement but meh.. i wasn't unimpressed. I thought the effort was there.

Terrific performance. Really enjoyed the game. That third line.... LOVE it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Yeah, Sutter is playing well and Downie is a good enough play maker for the 3rd line. He doesn't need Bennett, the top 6 however is struggling now and the 2nd line had issues for most of the season.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Again, you need to have three scoring lines to compete long term. Eventually Kunitz will wake up. And hopefully Horny and Malkin build chemistry. Add a trade to the mix and these issues with our top six can be remedied.

Again, the third line of Spaling-Sutter-Downie was doing that before they were broken up. Put Bennett up with Malkin and let them develop some chemistry, then when they trade for a top 6 winger Dupuis can be bumped down to the third line. Going into the playoffs they could have a bottom 6 of:

Dupuis-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I think the staff likes him, though. I have no idea what was going on with his promotion in the third period.

Probably the result of it being a 4-0 game. Similar to a couple years ago when they were playing, I think, Tampa, and they threw Glass out there to get a cheap-ass goal since he hadn't scored one all season.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
That 3rd line looks good because of BB. Maybe its part of the plan eventually, but at least give him a shift or two with Malkin or Crosby. If he can help Sutter produce on something other than a rush imagine what he can do to help free up one of the talented centers.

Thats slighting Sutter a bit. He has been good. Hes been really good since late last year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
- Nice to see BB look like he did in pre-season. As long as the team is winning I don't care where he plays for now. I just want to see him get consistent ice and develop. At some point that kind of skill can't be kept out of the top six.

- I bet the Downie goal was the first time the Pens have had three righties figure into a goal in a long ass time.

- Is this the most shutouts MAF has had at this point in the season?

- I forgot Maatta was playing. So he didn't do anything stupid or anything that stuck out. Kind of what I expected.

- Comeau consistently stops facing the boards when he is carrying the puck. It really hurts his ability to make plays, and it's the only thing about his game that drives me nuts.

- I'm happy Scuds is rebounding, but he is the ultimate half boards sniper. He has to easily lead the league in shots off the HB.

- Kunitz is comical challenging guys 1-1. Same ****ing move every time... Pull it to the forehand and go wide... Wait for Crosby or dump it in.

- I'm going out on a limb here, but Spaling and Comeau are not top six guys.

- I damn near pissed myself when I saw Hornqvist pull a toe drag off the HB and beat a guy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To clarify... I'm not saying to stick Bennett on the first or second line next game. I'm fine with him working on his game on the third line with a guy he has chemistry with in Sutter. But it better not be something that is off the table. The overall puck skills and offensive vision in the top six is pretty embarrassing, right the moment and a trade is still probably a while off. If Bennett keeps playing well (and I think he can)... it should be a no-brainer to move him up in a few games.

Michael8771*

Again, the third line of Spaling-Sutter-Downie was doing that before they were broken up. Put Bennett up with Malkin and let them develop some chemistry, then when they trade for a top 6 winger Dupuis can be bumped down to the third line. Going into the playoffs they could have a bottom 6 of:

Dupuis-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Comeau
I disagree, I think Sutter and BB should stay together. They are far more dynamic as a third line with BB than without. I do like your 4th line however

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I disagree, I think Sutter and BB should stay together. They are far more dynamic as a third line with BB than without. I do like your 4th line however

Then don't complain when someone in the top 6 who really doesn't belong there drags it down. And judging from some of your previous posts in other threads about Bennett, I think you have some sort of jealousy complex about the idea of Bennett being in the top 6 because you view it as him being "gifted" it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Probably the result of it being a 4-0 game. Similar to a couple years ago when they were playing, I think, Tampa, and they threw Glass out there to get a cheap-ass goal since he hadn't scored one all season.

Could be. It seems weird for the coach to want Sill to get one so badly. And I don't think it was a deterrent thing. Montreal played a largely toothless game all night.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
To clarify... I'm not saying to stick Bennett on the first or second line next game. I'm fine with him working on his game on the third line with a guy he has chemistry with in Sutter. But it better not be something that is off the table. The overall puck skills and offensive vision in the top six is pretty embarrassing, right the moment and a trade is still probably a while off. If Bennett keeps playing well (and I think he can)... it should be a no-brainer to move him up in a few games.

Yeah, but first Johnston has to get over this idea of "forward duos." Bennett has too much talent to not be tried in the top 6, and Malkin and Hornqvist have ZERO chemistry 5-on-5.

Michael8771*

Here's another issue to consider. With BB playing on the 3rd line, each of the top three lines has a very good puck distributor. Two of the best playmakers in the world and then a very creative winger in BB on line three. Spread the wealth out. Make it harder for the opposition to defend.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, but first Johnston has to get over this idea of "forward duos." Bennett has too much talent to not be tried in the top 6, and Malkin and Hornqvist have ZERO chemistry 5-on-5.

Yup.

I appreciate the idea on paper. But it's not working out so great in practice. At least with the current roster.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Here's another issue to consider. With BB playing on the 3rd line, each of the top three lines has a very good puck distributor. Two of the best playmakers in the world and then a very creative winger in BB on line three. Spread the wealth out. Make it harder for the opposition to defend.

Actually, Malkin is much better when he's in shoot-first mode. Giving him a skilled passer in Bennett would get him to start shooting more.

Michael8771*

Then don't complain when someone in the top 6 who really doesn't belong there drags it down. And judging from some of your previous posts in other threads about Bennett, I think you have some sort of jealousy complex about the idea of Bennett being in the top 6 because you view it as him being "gifted" it.
First off I'm not a big hater of Dupuis playing in the top six. It's not ideal, but I'm not exactly against it. We need to make a trade though, no question about that. If we add one more skilled and proven top six guy (ideally two) we should be fine. But I don't subscribe to the theory that we should be a top heavy team. That formula simply won't work.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I've really liked Comeau on the team, but he had me pinin' for Dupuis back on the first line by the end of the game.

Great result on the road against a good team. I thought Olli's timing was a bit off on some of his passes - fully expected, but it was a good first game back.

So nice to see the Pens score four with Sid and Geno only contributing on one.

I think Sill's gotten his reward for several years of being a great team guy in WBS. He doesn't really contribute anything at the NHL level, but as long as MJ keeps his minutes low, I guess it's OK. As it gets closer to April, he'll REALLY need to sit.

Oh yeah - no stupid, untimely Downie penalty tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad