RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Roternberg did the same stuff with every other NHL player that was drafted and played for his team. He simply doesn't want to play players drafted by the NHL.
His top Dman is a Hurricanes draft pick.

All of this character stuff is bullshift. I don't care about Bobrov. I don't care about noise MCs from mtl media, guy is competitive and wants to win. This is what you will see from any high talented player. In any interview he is very nice guy and he is big fan of hockey who works a lot and works hard.

But yeah, we can believe in character issues until some Whitney trash can level person will say that he didn't like to play with him in his tenure.
Funny how no one seems to care about Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant being the same way.

Reactions: Guadana

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But that would involve him signing a contract with a NHL club while already being under contract to SKA. That can't be legal, can it?

If SKA was OK with it, it would presumably be fine, but a plausible mechanism would be to have the arrangements made so that the contract terms are finalized just short of it being signed, Michkov either paying out of assets he already has or securing a loan to pursue his buyout, and then the newly signed contract with Philadelphia either replenishing his accounts or to provide him enough funds up front to pay off the loan immediately.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Crosby was very fast at one point. Not anymore.

Not sure he was ever very fast, but he wasn't slow for sure.

I'd say the best example of changing perspectives about his skating was Kaprizov. They used to call him slow and average at best skater, and then he came to NA and became an elite skater.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same with Michkov and Demidov. I'd say it's more about Demidov though, because Michkov is more like Kucherov. His main characteristics is IQ. Nobody argues about Kucherov's skating because it doesn't matter with his IQ...

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Not sure he was ever very fast, but he wasn't slow for sure.

I'd say the best example of changing perspectives about his skating was Kaprizov. They used to call him slow and average at best skater, and then he came to NA and became an elite skater.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same with Michkov and Demidov.
Before his high ankle sprain he was maybe the most explosive player with the puck in the league.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Dr Jablonski PhD

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Many of us do. Sorry your opinion isn’t unanimous.
After watching their draft years, I thought it was fairly close between MM and Bedard, but edge to Bedard. I would say Michkov, despite scoring at a higher pace this year, looked significantly less explosive this season, and so the gap widened a little bit. But .. how much of that was due to persistent pneumonia / playing on a shit team / getting coached a certain way .. we'll have to wait and see

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
After watching their draft years, I thought it was fairly close between MM and Bedard, but edge to Bedard. I would say Michkov, despite scoring at a higher pace this year, looked significantly less explosive this season, and so the gap widened a little bit. But .. how much of that was due to persistent pneumonia / playing on a shit team / getting coached a certain way .. we'll have to wait and see
Bedard isn't particularly explosive either. He's probably even an inch shorter. I don't really buy that he's much better defensively. Yes, he has more positional value, but if you are essentially a cherry-picking scorer that doesn't drive play and is bad defensively, what does it matter? A large part of that this season was playing for an awful team, so I expect that to change, but Bedard isn't without his faults either.

I would've still drafted Bedard first, but I think it's going to be close between the two over the course of their careers.

Dr Jablonski PhD

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Bedard isn't particularly explosive either. He's probably even an inch shorter. I don't really buy that he's much better defensively. Yes, he has more positional value, but if you are essentially a cherry-picking scorer that doesn't drive play and is bad defensively, what does it matter? A large part of that this season was playing for an awful team, so I expect that to change, but Bedard isn't without his faults either.

I would've still drafted Bedard first, but I think it's going to be close between the two over the course of their careers.
Oh yeah, I think Matvei has the potential to be better in the D zone, contrary to popular belief. Just seems a bit less dynamic. But probably has an edge in IQ

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Flyers fan's rejoice, first time in a long time we have a reason to watch and be excited. This dude is the real deal.

Oh yeah, I think Matvei has the potential to be better in the D zone, contrary to popular belief. Just seems a bit less dynamic. But probably has an edge in IQ
The only thing in Bedards game that clearly eclipses Michkov is his otherwordly shot, its crazy though because Michkov has 50 goal potential imo, hard to say what else or how they match up, we'll have to watch both guys grow in the NHL.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
What are the expectations for Michkov's 24-25 season with the Flyers?
I predict something close to 30 goals and 40 assists in the full season

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

I think it's going to be tough for him to score those numbers, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I prefer to keep my expectations lower because a pleasant surprise is always better than unpleasant upset.

Reactions: JotAlan

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
I think it's going to be tough for him to score those numbers, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I prefer to keep my expectations lower because a pleasant surprise is always better than unpleasant upset.

What would your low expectation be in numbers?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Flyers fan's rejoice, first time in a long time we have a reason to watch and be excited. This dude is the real deal.

The only thing in Bedards game that clearly eclipses Michkov is his otherwordly shot, its crazy though because Michkov has 50 goal potential imo, hard to say what else or how they match up, we'll have to watch both guys grow in the NHL.
I just watched Michkov highlights and got ridiculously excited again. He's simply brilliant. Smart as hell. His playmaking isn't talked about enough (and where he is far superior to Bedard). Has the game wrapped around his finger when he's on the ice. The 4:40 mark in the below is chef's kiss:

I could see it. I'll go 25 goals and 40 assists.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
What would your low expectation be in numbers?
Im expecting 45-50 points. A few things to keep in mind:

Torts will scratch him frequently. So he will probably only play 70 games if hes healthy. He will also be benched within games.

Hes probably gonna get 13-16 min a game.

Their PP is a disaster. Bottom of the league under an insane coach who took his shirt off and tried to fight a player.
That coach is returning.

Just not an environment for him to succeed which is a shame.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Given the way the Flyers play under Torts, defense first, a 25-25 season would be very solid from him.

Reactions: Adam Warlock

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
What do the Flyers lines look like?
Up in the air but something like this. Farabee likely to be traded, though. Wouldn't be surprised if Frost is, too. Michkov will be stapled to PP1, though.

Tippett-Frost-TK
Foerster-Coots-Michkov
Farabee-Poehling-Hathaway
Laughton-Cates-bleh

Reactions: viper0220

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad