Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
In any event, it's cool that we're about to be seven years into this spiral and we still have to wait until like 2027 for this team to really do anything because Sid and Sully are just waiting around for the Olympics.

God, I hope this team f***ing bombs out so hard for the rest of the season and Sullivan just decides to walk because he's "too good" to waste his time with this org anymore. The only way this franchise can be salvaged now or for the foreseeable future is if they're saved from themselves and Sullivan makes the decision for them.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
In any event, it's cool that we're about to be seven years into this spiral and we still have to wait until like 2027 for this team to really do anything because Sid and Sully are just waiting around for the Olympics.

God, I hope this team f***ing bombs out so hard for the rest of the season and Sullivan just decides to walk because he's "too good" to waste his time with this org anymore. The only way this franchise can be salvaged now or for the foreseeable future is if they're saved from themselves and Sullivan makes the decision for them.

I still think this roster could at least be somewhat competitive with a different voice behind the bench, but I have little trust in Dubas to hire that.

That being said. That only things I think that will be amusing over the next few years.

1. Watching Mike Sullivan totally nosedive ala Bylsma in his international gig and his next coaching gig.

2. Watching Yager likely become a top prospect while Sullivan sits here and the same voices as always on here say "but, Pens have no good prospects".

3. Washington Capitals go on a deep playoff run this year while everyone says "their prospects aren't even good!" here.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Didn't Washington part ways with their head coach right before their turnaround?

Probably unrelated. I imagine they must have added more veteran PKers and that did the trick.

Ovechkin still gets meaningful games in his later years. Crosby does not. That definitely doesn't make me wanna puke all over my shoes or anything.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it became apparent that the EK deal was a mistake like halfway through last year, not because it was a "bad" deal (I still think it was great value for the Penguins) but because the Penguins were spent and they shouldn't have had any more invested in them. I think judging Dubas' decision on the deal is a lot more complicated though, just because Dubas just took over the Penguins when he made the deal and didn't have a firm idea of what the team actually was yet.

This isn't saying it was a good or bad decision, I just think it's complicated because it seemed unclear of what direction the team was heading in when he was hired. Or more specifically, it seemed unclear if the team (outside of Dubas) realized the path it was on. It's easy to say in hindsight that the deal was a mistake because the team is spent and they should have kept the first, but what would have been the response to Dubas had he said that before the trade was made? Would he have even been hired if he came in with that mindset? I just don't know.

I think the decision to include Bunting in the Guentzel deal is a lot easier of a factor to criticize Dubas for than the Karlsson deal. It was obvious this team was retooling at that point and sinking any value in a Guentzel deal to get Bunting (even though I figure it wasn't much) is an inappropriate move. If you want a Bunting caliber guy, trade Guentzel for purely futures and sign someone in free agency.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think things are salvageable at this point as far as a coaching change sparking a resurgence, but I still want Sullivan fired yesterday because he sucks shit at his job and makes me watch boring, slopshit hockey.

I still think this roster could at least be somewhat competitive with a different voice behind the bench, but I have little trust in Dubas to hire that.

That being said. That only things I think that will be amusing over the next few years.

1. Watching Mike Sullivan totally nosedive ala Bylsma in his international gig and his next coaching gig.

2. Watching Yager likely become a top prospect while Sullivan sits here and the same voices as always on here say "but, Pens have no good prospects".

3. Washington Capitals go on a deep playoff run this year while everyone says "their prospects aren't even good!" here.
I'm genuinely excited to see Sullivan get embarrassed at the Olympics like Bylsma, but I'm sure the fallback is "Well Canada has Sid, MacKinnon and McDavid" or whatever. Like HSL said; Sullivan can never be wrong, only wronged. Also can't wait to see Jake-Matthews-Rust as Team USA's top line. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I don't think things are salvageable at this point as far as a coaching change sparking a resurgence, but I still want Sullivan fired yesterday because he sucks shit at his job and makes me watch boring, slopshit hockey.

I'm genuinely excited to see Sullivan get embarrassed at the Olympics like Bylsma, but I'm sure the fallback is "Well Canada has Sid, MacKinnon and McDavid" or whatever. Like HSL said; Sullivan can never be wrong, only wronged. Also can't wait to see Jake-Matthews-Rust as Team USA's top line. :laugh:

Guarantee Rust somehow sneaks onto that roster.

Also someone old on that D like Trouba over Faber or some shit.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

I do not want USA to be embarrassed but thank you for reminding me that Sully will be ruining Olympic hockey along with my Pens hockey.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yeah and because they're not going to get another Sid or Geno, the team needs to replace them by elevating the average throughout the team. Sorta like Vegas' composition in their inaugural year. And to do that, you have to acquire a plethora of picks, to have enough work out.

If you can't get the players for a strong 1st line, focus on all 4 lines being 2nd or 3rd line quality.
If you can't get a horse 1st pair D, have all 3 pairs be 2nd pairing quality.

You can win with depth in this league. It just requires harder work from management.
you see how long it took us to fill out our bottom 6? we only need to get lucky 2 times if we can pick high enough.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just hope McG can sort things out and still be a good complimentary piece once this team starts reeling in those top-3 picks. It's pretty important to have a few guys entering or in their prime so you can start going for it once you get a couple building blocks in place. If McG can carve out his game to be this team's Landeskog/Hornqvist, I'm stoked as shit.

But this team's gonna have to either completely change its approach to younger players or replace the coach. Neither of which I expect for some time tbh.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I just hope McG can sort things out and still be a good complimentary piece once this team starts reeling in those top-3 picks. It's pretty important to have a few guys entering or in their prime so you can start going for it once you get a couple building blocks in place. If McG can carve out his game to be this team's Landeskog/Hornqvist, I'm stoked as shit.

But this team's gonna have to either completely change its approach to younger players or replace the coach. Neither of which I expect for some time tbh.

I think this team has missed McG since he was sent down tbh.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think this team has missed McG since he was sent down tbh.
I don't think he was nearly as bad as a lot of people made him out to be, just kinda invisible and looked like a rookie which is expected with a non-foundational prospect, and I still think it's weird that we saw a McG-Eller-Puljujarvi 3rd line do really well in pre-season just for shit to immediately get scrapped once the season started. :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean I'm high on the kid's potential but I don't think they've missed his 11 minutes a night of ice time with 0 points lol.
Dude got 3 games and one of them was at RW when he's a LW. :laugh: I dunno, man. Given expectations, and even in a vacuum, he wasn't any worse than like half a dozen guys on the roster, particularly Beau and Bunting.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
you see how long it took us to fill out our bottom 6? we only need to get lucky 2 times if we can pick high enough.
That was hindered by a coach who doesn't respect the power of offense, and one who plays shitters regardless of performance, for extended periods.
Management is also culpable for going along with it.

For it to work the mindset has to change. Performance has to become the dictator again. Accountability has to return.
I don't think Sullivan's gonna be here when the team is ready for playoffs again, fortunately.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Knowing our luck (as Penguins fans), USA gets red hot goaltending and Sullivan's disorganized mess of a team manages to win gold because they got peak Hasek 1998 performance out of their goalie.

Then the media glows about how awesome 2-time Cup winner and Olympic gold medalist Sullivan is and we're stuck with him for yet another decade+.

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
I am sure that I am not the only one who has thought this and it may have been commented on already...

Dubas likely signed Kevin Hayes as trade bait for a future date knowing that there would be plenty of suitors that would be willing to try him as a top six C, probably 2C. If so that is a shrewd move. Nashville comes to mind, Barry Rubble would likely offer a first for Hayes.
He got the Blues to give up picks with Hayes for the cap space. Goal was to get him to bounce back and flip again for more picks. If Dubas signed him, we have at least 5 threads with over 1000 posts about how he is making us feel like we're dying alive.

Reactions: Ignatius

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Knowing our luck (as Penguins fans), USA gets red hot goaltending and Sullivan's disorganized mess of a team manages to win gold because they got peak Hasek 1998 performance out of their goalie.

Then the media glows about how awesome 2-time Cup winner and Olympic gold medalist Sullivan is and we're stuck with him for yet another decade+.
This deserves a 24hr ban, for sure. :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Larsson looking solid in Wilkes after locking it down in pre-season for us.
Shame he's gonna be stuck there all year.

I would start Blom today. He gives us the biggest chance imo.
Yeah I wanted Larsson up as back up over Ned. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Ned, he just isn't a goalie I trust and the other option you can't trust at all since he doesn't even trust himself right now and Blomqvist needs at least 1 capable goalie behind him. Felt Larsson had a far better camp than Ned did and Jarry's was something we were all skeptical about. Ned has been allowing 3+ and has carried over his play from last season too and that isn't actually a good thing, Jarry looks so much worse which made Ned look better by comparison.

I would have sent Jarry down and called up Larsson instead of this idiotic "plan" Sullivan keeps jabbering on about that hasn't fixed much of anything. I would have kept Blomqvist, Larsson, And Ned up on the road trip and sent Jarry down to play some games and get work in with Tisi.

Ned is a hot mess against both teams and Blomqvist has been damn good but with a small sample size. I'd definitely go Blomqvist for this game though. See how they can minimize shots and then go Blomqvist tomorrow as well as he's been off long enough to be ok for a back to back.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Dude got 3 games and one of them was at RW when he's a LW. :laugh: I dunno, man. Given expectations, and even in a vacuum, he wasn't any worse than like half a dozen guys on the roster, particularly Beau and Bunting.
He was fine but he didn't do anything either. He was just kinda there taking up space and minutes.

That is basically the standard for our bottom six the past five years though so given that he fits in just fine lol

I'm not down on him or anything though. He'll be good eventually

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Didn't Washington part ways with their head coach right before their turnaround?

Probably unrelated. I imagine they must have added more veteran PKers and that did the trick.

Ovechkin still gets meaningful games in his later years. Crosby does not. That definitely doesn't make me wanna puke all over my shoes or anything.
You mean Laviolette? They didn't latch on to coaches as long as the Pens seem to. Boudreau was coach for 3 full seasons and parts of two others where he took over for Hanlon and was fired and replaced by Hunter who didn't stay on after and they hired Oates (2 seasons) and then Trotz who lasted for 4 seasons and a cup. Reirden got 2yrs and Lavi 3 before Carbery was hired.

The last time the Caps missed back to back years was right after the lockout and then quickly fired coaches for missing after that (Hanlon after his missed year got a chance the others didn't though, but was quickly fired for Boudreau and then it was - Oates and Lavi).

It's funny that the Pens keep Sullivan for missing twice and actually realistically 3 times total with the play in. They love to preach accountability yet seemingly excuse their head coach from it while firing multiple assistants instead.

McG got Puusty'd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad