Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
Sacramento, CA
Name the better UFA goalie options that year.
There was that soggy cardboard box in the alley out back

And the two for one bag of street hockey pucks

Either of those were better options

But for a slightly more serious answer:

There's many numbers below 5.75 million and any number below 5, where they could have done better with that contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Jarry contract was an objective failure, there's no way you can argue otherwise. Like I've said a bunch, I think the gamble was fine but the contract ended up horrible. There's no way that Dubas should have given 5 years of term at the AAV he was paying. Dubas absolutely deserves criticism for giving Jarry the deal he gave him, because it turned out to be a horrid deal.

Dubas has really shown to be downright bad at judging goalies and handing out bad goalie contracts.

Reactions: Pens x

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
I don’t know much about Elkin but I’m glad Jarry is trying to figure it out, it can’t be easy to have so much dumb shit being said about you by inbred dipshits on X and message boards like they’ve never f***ed up or had a bad stretch. I hope he bounces back and is moved to a team where he can get a fresh start.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Had a Quick Look up of Elkin.

He was the Goalie Coach for the Flames from 1999-2002.

Which is not really a great time in Calgary Flames goaltending history, like one of their worst stretches of goalies until they picked up Kipper (Turek was ok though). Then he was with Arizona from 2015-2018 in Arizona there’s maybe some success? Smith was good and Raanta had an insane year there.

In Toronto he was working with the goalies for the Marlies.

So…Jarry’s f***ed. He is the 2nd best goalie for high danger saves behind Blomqvist, his game isn’t entirely trash, there’s a lot of positives there that they can work on but the highly visible bad stuff is going to never go away for Pens fans, it’s too bad they won’t send him down to WBS to play and work with Tisi. I wasn’t all that much of a fan of Buckley and Chiodo was his assistant and the same inconsistencies are still there in Jarry’s game and also in Ned’s right now. Blomqvist has worked with Tisi and I wonder if that’s the proper path here, not Chiodo or Elkin.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I honestly don’t even know why I bother responding to that bloke, just cherry picking a comment where honestly, I pointed what MM did after that Boeser collapse. But to act like I was some Murray hater? Yeah right, that’s bs. That Matt Murray’s Glove Hand thread was quite literally proof of it.

It’s just weird to hate on a player that hasn’t displayed any of the crap blokes here judge him as, also to keep reiterating he should be moved and not here anymore apparently means anytime I say I hope he figures it out, is wanting him to be the goalie here?

It makes me really understand why so many stop posting here, as much as you want to talk about a team you like with a community of fellow fans, not having anyone to talk about the team with would suck, but it also sucks when that same community pushes some toxic narratives.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I'll say it again: I just do not know how many times a GM has to watch a mid-level goalie's performance plummet and for their contract to become an absolute f***ing anchor before they stop giving those deals out.

Everyone saw this coming.
I feel like a lot said this about Bobrovsky as well, who has a knack for losing his game entirely for stretches which allows fun threads to pop up about if he's finally done now.

He's a goalie that is capable of very good play for months. I think if he was insanely inconsistent every month, it'd be different but I think he can rebound enough hopefully garner interest. He hasn't entirely fallen off which shows he's battling. A goalie that is struggling will battle. A goalie given up will have no redeeming parts to his game and metrics/analytics.

Bednar for example had both goalies playing poorly, then Georgiev had a decent game by his standards this year and then Annunen has had 3 very good ones lately. But that's expected. Colorado plays a better defensive structure so a goalie struggling in that will get support.

Pens system is not going to help. We lucked out Blomqvist is damn good. Ned though, his game isn't good right now either, he struggles with high danger shots and that leads to collapses. Hard to get better when you're trying to find your groove when the team is awful in their end, give up the most scoring opportunities with a lot being high danger chances and allow teams to just walk in and set up.

I'm curious how both goalies hold up this weekend. Chiodo seems like a good bloke but I don't know if his coaching has translated well to the NHL. He's carried forward the issues Buckley had with this goalie coaching and you can see how highly inconsistent LA is to see the pattern we're seeing here.

I feel like Dubas is going to move on from Chiodo after this season and either promote Tisi or allow Elkin to find a new goalie coach.

Hasse saying that the Pens haven't engaged in any talks with Pettersson yet. Its unlikely that an extension gets singed during the season. Either he's traded or it happens in June.
I just hope they don't extend him. I felt they should have dealt him at the draft or latest the summer. Didn't happen, then the hope turned to before December or the deadline at the latest.
Also Jarry isn't being put on waivers. It's possible they send him to the AHL for a reconditioning stint since he's been sitting for a while
It's long over due. I really hope he does go there and gets a chance to work with Tisi and some games under his belt.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Kraken are fun to watch under Disco. It's odd seeing him make adjustments when needed, well not odd just weird to see since we never see it. That team will get better as the season wears on and especially when Dunn is back next month.

At least Disco is fun, sure he was stubborn and it made sense given how inexperienced he was as a coach and latching on to what worked at the time. But I can't imagine this coaching staff doing anything to lighten the mood.
During the aforementioned SOH Podcast interview, recorded with Bylsma in October 2022, Bylsma shared one of his favorite “punishment” stories from back in his Pittsburgh days. In this one, Bylsma included himself as a potential loser of the contest. He said defenseman Jay McKee had a “Semi-rig truck with a pickup truck bed on the back. It was a special-looking machine. We did a shootout to wash his truck, and I lost that one.”

And so, there was Penguins coach Dan Bylsma, in the bowels of Mellon Arena, scrubbing down McKee’s oversized vehicle.

They put up a hell of a fight against the Jets.

I wonder if Seattle would be interested in a Jarry for Grubauer swap. A little more of a cap hit 500-600k but 1 less year. Could be less of a pain of a compliance buyout.

I think you have to take a bad contract back for this one.

Seattle: Jarry + Puustinen + 2nd 2026
Pittsburgh: Grubauer + 3rd in 2025

Or go bigger...

Seattle: Pettersson, Jarry, 2nd in 2026, and Puustinen

Pittsburgh: Grubauer, 2nd + 5th in 2025, and Mahura

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad