Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Utah just lost Durzi and Marino for around 4 months. I think they're a prime candidate to trade for Pettersson. They have an outrageous amount of futures and will have pressure to make the playoffs this season
Their GM just said very recently that they aren't going to make any panic moves.

Before they picked up Sergs, Marino, and Durzi, I suggested Graves for Kerfoot but not sure that makes sense now for either side.

We aren't great trading partners with them right now but I could see something in the future if they are in it at the TDL. I'd love to figure out something with Pettersson and get Barrett Hayton back.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Their GM just said very recently that they aren't going to make any panic moves.

Before they picked up Sergs, Marino, and Durzi, I suggested Graves for Kerfoot but not sure that makes sense now for either side.

We aren't great trading partners with them right now but I could see something in the future if they are in it at the TDL. I'd love to figure out something with Pettersson and get Barrett Hayton back.

Why would a team looking to be a contender in the next few years move their young 2C for an older LHD when they are stacked with prospects at that position?

Kerfoot for Graves also makes no sense for Utah either.

I’d do something like Erik Karlsson at 50% retained for Utah’s 1st and Valimaki.

Doobler is smiling because he duped another group of suckers into paying him millions of dollars.

And what a team it will be. Perhaps it will be reminiscent of Doobler’s playoff juggernauts he built in Toronto (after inheriting the best young core they ever had, no less)?

Yeah, it’s like people don’t realize how bad Dubas was in Toronto.

If Kyle is smiling, you know he’s about to take one to the chin.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I know others don’t want to hear it, but does it even make sense to be a decent to slightly above average hockey team anymore?

We don’t have what it takes to win anything meaningful. I would rather suffer through an awful year or two and get some youth in this system to be excited about.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So the team is already on a 3 game losing streak and their next 3 games are against the Oilers, Canucks and Wild. Yeah, October is about to be an ugly month
I find myself not that upset at the prospects of them being trash after October just to see what this f***ing organization will do.

If we're sitting at 3-8 after October and they still refuse to fire Sullivan (or there aren't even rumblings of it), then I'm out completely. If FSG doesn't care about the on-ice product, why should I?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I find myself not that upset at the prospects of them being trash after October just to see what this f***ing organization will do.

If we're sitting at 3-8 after October and they still refuse to fire Sullivan (or there aren't even rumblings of it), then I'm out completely. If FSG doesn't care about the on-ice product, why should I?

The only joy would be a top 5 prospect who is NHL ready could completely reshape the next few years especially if we move out a ton of contracts at the TDL.

The issue would be we’d probably still not fire Sullivan.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The only joy would be a top 5 prospect who is NHL ready could completely reshape the next few years especially if we move out a ton of contracts at the TDL.

The issue would be we’d probably still not fire Sullivan.
And he'd completely mishandle that top prospect's development.

He'd be the type who'd get a player like Bedard or Michkov and try and turn them into Jordan Staal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why would a team looking to be a contender in the next few years move their young 2C for an older LHD when they are stacked with prospects at that position?

Kerfoot for Graves also makes no sense for Utah either.

I’d do something like Erik Karlsson at 50% retained for Utah’s 1st and Valimaki.
I didn't say it would Petts for Hayton 1:1.

Prior to them getting Sergs, Marino, and Durzi making a trade for a LD DID make sense...hence why they made TWO trades for LD.

Utah would never do what you just proposed and quite frankly neither would we. Adding another starting goalie shouldn't be on our to-do list.

Back 2 back though... amirite? Come over with some popcorn and we can chill and watch the championship DVDs together.
Gurgs seems like the kind of guy that would bring a cube of Keystone light and get Cheeto dust on your couch cushions. You sure?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I know others don’t want to hear it, but does it even make sense to be a decent to slightly above average hockey team anymore?

We don’t have what it takes to win anything meaningful. I would rather suffer through an awful year or two and get some youth in this system to be excited about.
The good thing is that even with our older stars the team is looking like the bottom might fall out this year. They're at or near the bottom in nearly every defensive metric.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Definitely would say your house is smaller than expected and the couch isn't fluffy enough and ask if you planted that sap dropping tree out front yourself
He'd most definitely spend 45 minutes telling you about a boat and trailer that he doesn't have even after telling him "Yeah, that's awesome" and "wow, that's crazy" at least 10 times.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Prior to them getting Sergs, Marino, and Durzi making a trade for a LD DID make sense...hence why they made TWO trades for LD.

Utah would never do what you just proposed and quite frankly neither would we. Adding another starting goalie shouldn't be on our to-do list.

Gurgs seems like the kind of guy that would bring a cube of Keystone light and get Cheeto dust on your couch cushions. You sure?

Utah traded for two defensemen this summer Sergachev who is a LD and Marino who is a RD.

They signed Ian Cole.

Valimaki is a defenseman.

If you are going to act like I’m stupid and never know what I’m talking about, try to actually be right and know what you are talking about.

Utah would never trade Hayton to fill a gap, it would significantly alter their center depth which is relatively weak beyond Cooley after moving off Geekie in the Serg trade.

Back 2 back though... amirite? Come over with some popcorn and we can chill and watch the championship DVDs together.

Yes, these years are a measly footnote in the franchise history.

Still don’t like a career loser like Dubas being the one in charge of these years.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012

This early why would any GM go and make a move that will screw their cap up or make the move without allowing options from within to get a chance first.

I like that they’re giving lads like Kesselring, Kolyachonok, Koch, and Lamoureux a shot in addition to Bortuzzo. It must be nice to be a fan teams that play youth.

2 off-days is huge. Can't lose if you don't play.
Schedule is absolutely moronic. Play on Sunday, off Monday, then play Tuesday and off Wednesday and Thursday to a back to back?

It would have made sense to play them against the Oilers on Thursday, have Friday off and then play the Canucks on Saturday. Oilers meanwhile have 2 days off, play on Friday, then off Saturday. The NHL schedule makers are always idiotic.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
"Just play"

-Mike Sullivan
They were something like 9-3 last season on the 2nd game of back to backs. Such a bizarre team.

Something about the Oilers makes me feel like this will be the Game they decide to put it all together, they suck on special teams in a way a team like that shouldn’t and their scoring is near the bottom. I can’t say Skinner has been ass because his numbers are on par with Ned. I can’t see this going well.

Ned is awful against Edmonton and Vancouver, like 6.00 GAA vs Edmonton and 9.00 GAA vs Vancouver bad. Ned was in that 6-1 loss to Edmonton and Jarry was in the 4-0 loss to Edmonton last season and the Vancouver game was in Pittsburgh where Ned allowed 3 goals on 9 shots and Jarry stepped in and stopped and stopped 19 of 20. So that’ll need to be Blomqvist - who has the far superior stats yet they seem to want to go Ned who faces less shots and is worse than Blom.

I can’t see this weekend going well. Definitely skipping the jersey to avoid belligerent fans.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
They were something like 9-3 last season on the 2nd game of back to backs. Such a bizarre team.

Something about the Oilers makes me feel like this will be the Game they decide to put it all together, they suck on special teams in a way a team like that shouldn’t and their scoring is near the bottom. I can’t say Skinner has been ass because his numbers are on par with Ned. I can’t see this going well.

Ned is awful against Edmonton and Vancouver, like 6.00 GAA vs Edmonton and 9.00 GAA vs Vancouver bad. Ned was in that 6-1 loss to Edmonton and Jarry was in the 4-0 loss to Edmonton last season and the Vancouver game was in Pittsburgh where Ned allowed 3 goals on 9 shots and Jarry stepped in and stopped and stopped 19 of 20. So that’ll need to be Blomqvist - who has the far superior stats yet they seem to want to go Ned who faces less shots and is worse than Blom.

I can’t see this weekend going well. Definitely skipping the jersey to avoid belligerent fans.
I also have a bad feeling the Pens are going to be the antidote to the Oilers woes and break them out of their slump. What used to be an automatic win for a decade plus has been an automatic loss the last few years.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I also have a bad feeling the Pens are going to be the antidote to the Oilers woes and break them out of their slump. What used to be an automatic win for a decade plus has been an automatic loss the last few years.
I still think it can go either way, that team has been producing opportunities but not converting on them, they’re scoring at under 3 goals a game and their powerplay ranks near the bottom and their PK dead last. I mean while they aren’t some defensive stalwart of a team, that’s bad even for them after last year.

It’s comical though because everyone here told Oilers fans that the losses of Ceci, Desharnais, Holloway, Foegele, Broberg, and McLeod would be definitely felt and their PK is a huge example of how badly they miss the likes of Ceci and Desharnais (two of their top 3 d-men for PK mins, Ceci was #1 DD was #3). Then losing 2 strong 2-way players in Holloway and McLeod. That’s a lot of 2-way depth to lose in one off season…all because their stars would rather be paid top dollar than take a little less to actually win a cup.

You to love to see it for a team that has that loser Bowman as their GM. But also, this is a Sullivan coached team, so we don’t know which version is going to show up against the Oilers. I figured Knob would definitely level off this year and said as much, also that they would not be the top team in the West, but this bad? It’s even better than I had hoped, lol. Under Woodcroft their PK and powerplay weren’t even remotely this bad, their powerplay was ranked 8th in the first 7 games last season, 21st for PK vs this year where their powerplay is 28th and PK is 32nd and their offense is worse after adding Skinner and Arvidsson. Knobber went on some insane bender and then to start this year, is worse than Woodcroft’s start.

I do get a kick out of seeing Hyman have 0pts, same for Arvidsson. They were acting like they won the off season after losing a ton of functional depth and then trying to convince everyone on HF that the Cap will go up to 100+ m in 2yrs or less, LOL

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

I don’t see Utah doing that Karlsson deal either and I doubt they’d move Hayton for anything short of some insane over payment and Hayton struggling enough for them to consider it. Armstrong has an owner now that isn’t a muppet, I don’t see him doing anything but adding maybe some veteran depth if they go on a decent enough run into clinching a playoff berth in their first year in Utah.

From what I can see on their roster - Probably a 4th line RW, a RHD, and maybe a depth goalie as most in case something happens to Vej or Ingram. Given that Durzi and Marino are going to return and they have Kesselring, I don’t see Karlsson as an option either. A rental at best maybe.

Also, Hayton is on their top line, he’s their #1 C right now with Cooley 2C and Kerfoot 3C. They’d probably me more interested in adding Acciari for that 4th line RW and a depth d-man if one of their injured D isn’t close in their rehab by the TDL (Marino is set to return mid to late February, Durzi possibly April - rehab is not always the same as we know).

The issue for Utah is they have a lot of LHD - Sergachev, Kolyachonok, Valimaki, and Cole.
Their healthy RHD - Kesselring, Bortuzzo, and rookie Lamoureux.
I would choose violence if a bloke did that at my place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad